Banding Highlights of 2006

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BbBill, Dec 7, 2006.

1. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

As we near the close of another year, (where has it gone?!) what have been your banding highlights this year?

Mine have been:

1. Whit Friday with "Tartan Brass", playing in Delph around midnight after Brighouse and the Delph Band, the atmosphere was just awesome!! The dress sense of us wearing kilts seemed to go down quite well too!!

2. Black Dyke concert in Perth, I organised a bus trip for about 30 of our young members to listen to their concert. Managing to get us all sitting in the front 2 rows and then seeing the thrill and amazement on their young faces as they played was great, certainly something for them all to aspire to. And with a few of us growing up with Morvern, it was a proud moment to see her playing for Dyke too!

3. The British Open, 1st time there watching, had a great time listening to the bands and meeting new folk, also Morvern invited me to Black Dyke's rehearsal on the Sunday!!

4. Virtuosi Concert in Rainford, the day after Whit friday, fantastic concert to play in.

5. YABB in Luxembourg, at Easter, what more can I say!!!

Roll on 2007!
  2. Scotty

Scotty Member

Willie, what about our visit to campbeltown, surely that was one of your banding highlights of this year!!! :)

My banding highlight this year has to be winning the Scottish Open, ace performance off a number 1 draw that went on to win the contest, can't ask for much more really!
  3. I was also at the Dyke concert in Perth and I agree that it was very good.

Highlight of the year for me was Brass in Concert at the Sage last month, especially seller's stunning performance!!!
  4. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Joining Parc and Dare in February.

Finishing 3rd in Area and qualifying for RAH

Sharing a long weekend with Robert Redhead and fellow Canton Band-persons playing Quintessence.

Winning Treorchy and finishing (joint) Champion band of Wales
  5. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

A real easy one for me.

Playing for Black Dyke in April. A boyhood dream come true.
  6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Winning the Areas and the Grand Shield...
    The French Open weekend...
    Competing in the British Open..

Depping with Grimethorpe for 2 concerts...

and playing Soprano with Peter Roberts with Manx Concert Brass on the Isle of Man in September :)
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  7. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

In no particular order;

1) Adjudicating at Lees on Whit Friday - can only agree with Bill; what an electric atmosphere, even sitting in a darkened library!

2) Conducting Loanhead Brass Roots at Brass in the Park and being amazed at their maturity of sound!

3) Standing on stage at Harrogate, talking *******s!

4) Conducting the Central Swiss Youth Band - such a fine band, such exciting performances.

5) The Borders contest - pretty much a perfect day for me.

6) Recording a CD, something I usually hate doing, with Jedforest last weekend. A great experience for us all.
  8. NAS

NAS Member

Aiye it wasnt bad was it:D.

My highlights would be...
    1. Winning the North West Area with Rainford.
    2. Forming Virtuosi and performing our first concert to a sell out audience.
    3. Working with Richard Evans on Sinfonietta.
    4. Coming 2nd at Harrogate.
    5. Defending our 2nd section title at Fleetwood the week after the finals.
  9. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

Heres mine

The international trombone festival gig being in the band backing Wycliffe Gordon and Ian Bousfield, I dont play trombone ,but man what a gig.

Winning "Brass in concert" with Brighouse

The British open with the Imps, **** result but a great day

Durham Big meeting (I would say that every year though)
  10. Texus

Texus Member

despite the drunken FA cup haze it has to be winning the Shield - with other bands actually applauding (at least i think thats what the hand signals meant!) the drunken run through the bars desperately trying not to drop it.....
  11. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

my highlights this year were

1) WIn natoinal junior champs for the third yr in a row
    2) Play with Brighouse and Rastrick band AMAZING
    3) seeing grimethorpe play!
  12. Veri

Veri Member

For me, starting to play my euphonium again after a four years break!

And seeing Black Dyke play at Symphony Hall in February - especially cheesily John Miles Music, but also Malcom Arnold's Four Cornish Dances, and seeing Richard Marshall and David Thornton do solos - how fast did their fingers move?!
  13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

1) Our youth band's tour to Hungary
    2) our concert next sunday with 4 other champinship section bands (I think it will be a highlight anyway - I've been busy organizing it for months now, it seems ;) )
    3) The Black Dyke & Willebroek joint concert in Leuven
    4) Listening to the own choice section of the Belgian nationals
    5) Playing in a rehearsal with the brass abnd of Columbus and meeting brass band people all over the world!
  14. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Not in any particular order

The good contest results we had this year.
    Our annual solo concert when Martin Armstrong and Joe Cook were our guests.
    playing with tmp whit friday band when we stopped playing hald way down delph high st and the audience kept singing
  15. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

1. Being asked to help out Polysteel at the Grand Sheild and the band played really well! :biggrin:
    2. Coming 2nd at the Masters!!! I actually had a great weekend! Polysteel are officially THE nicest bunch of people around! :biggrin:
    3. Sudely Castle concert. - Playing a solo with Polysteel on the night I joined! It was sooo good! :biggrin:
    4. WYCHAVON! Wooo that was amazin!
    5. BIC! And working up for it was amazing! Had a few really good weekends out there! Loved every minute of it!
    I'm sure theres many more weekends like that to come! :biggrin::biggrin:
  16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I have to say not a great year for me this year, but anyway:

Coming 3rd at the area and getting promotion to the 1st section.

tMP at the Whits - generally amazing, but Delph was something else. Great night, great company, great playing, which is what it's all about really isn't it?

Second at Bolsover despite having to play in the dark for 4/5ths of the performance.

Winning Leicester, right in our own backyard. Despite being on the "wrong" instrument I was still massively happy with the way we played and the result.
  17. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Playing highlight;
    fixing and playing in The Clarence Adoo Brass Band, conducted by Bram Tovey, which gave a concert in June in aid of The Clarence Adoo Trust.

Conducting highlights;
    conducting the above band in the same concert when Bram was the soloist in Fantasia for Piano and Band on 'Christ is the Answer', boy was I nervous!

conducting Chatham Citadel Band in our 'At Home' concert when our guest was David Childs, I was nervous at first but put at ease by David's relaxed charm and easy-going manner and the band which gave superb solo accompaniments.
  18. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Been a ****e year personally speaking. However, banding highlights;

Playing at the Whits with Hawaiian Brass. When the Police told the organisers to let us play at Broadoak as they'd been waiting to see us all night, that was just the icing on the cake.

Being appointed MD at Cottingham.

The performance of Journey to the Centre of the Earth with EYMS at Darlington, even if the result didn't match it.
  19. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Mine would have to be

Firstly our concert at the Symphony Hall playing Principal to 100+ other players including Tredegar Band

Winning Wychavon 3rd Section and taking the prize for the highest placed local band

Seeing my daughter play with Winchombe Concert Brass as a registered player at the age of 9 ( and this Saturday playing her first solo with the band in their Christmas Concert) will be another great moment to cherish before the year is out.

and going right back to the start of the year Joining the West Mercia Police Band. A great bunch of people and with the band going from strength to strength with all the new arrivals the future look great for us
  20. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Winning a contest for the first time ever. (NEMBBA 4th section)

Gaining promotion to 3rd section.