Banding Family Trees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stephen2001, Dec 1, 2004.

1. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Those who watched Who Do You Think You Are? last night on BBC2 will have seen Lesley Garrett discover her musical roots from her family tree. Her family were miners from the Doncaster area, and there was a scene where she was at a rehearsal with the Dinnington Brass Band, looking at how music was an important part of the pit workers' lives.

How far back in your tree do you have to go to find the find the first occurance of a brass band playing family member?

For me, it is only one generation back to my Mum and my Auntie (as far as I am aware).
  2. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

One generation for me as well - both parents.

Rach x
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I am the first in my family that I know of!!!
    Parents not banders (musicians yes... banders no, wrong instruments :lol: Although my dad starting learning trombone after I started banding and played a bit in the training band- as soon as I had a car to drive though it kinda stopped...) Grandparents not musicians; although my grandpa was a huge fan of bands... He'd be looking down on me now being very proud of what I'm doing :) ....
  4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I'm a 3rd generation brass bander.

My Dad used to play tenor trombone (giving up playing in September 2003) and my Uncle used to play the euphonium.

Going further back, my grandad played Eb bass, his younger brother played cornet (he later took up conducting), and the youngest of the 3 brothers played tenor trombone.
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I'm also third generation, on both sides. My paternal grandfather was a cornet player (he also had three brothers who played various brass instruments). My maternal grandfather played tuba (I think BBb, although I'm not sure). My father played euph and mum played tenor trombone.
  6. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Think I'm the 1st! Although I've managed to get my lil brother on the bandwagon too.. ha ha..... ha......... ha....... groan.. ok i'm going
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I don't really have a banding tree, as it is not very tall (more like wide).

There was one point when I played in a brass band with my wife and brother-in-law, with my father-in-law as the MD.
  8. I have my "tree" back to the 1600s on my mothers side, and early 1800s on my fathers side.

No sign of any banders yet - but that is not to say none are there - after all they were mostly miners , they all came from "Neck End" , that's Longton, here in sunny Stoke on Trent.

PS Family History Research is an obsessive hobby - try it at your peril ;) .
  9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

As far as I know, I was the first one in my family. But since I started, it seems to have affected some other people as well, since my father wnt to music school and learned to drum when he was well in his thirties (and I was already playing the cornet for a couple of years). He now plays in the drumband and is the band's secretary...
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

At least as far as my great-grandfather on my father's side, who I believe learnt to play when he first joined the Salvation Army. Then there's my late grandfather, who played in his youth, my father, still very active in his 70s, myself and my son.
  11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Just my big brother and me in our immediate family. Although I have an uncle who collects and plays medieval instruments.

Although neither of my parents actually played I've always thought of myself as coming from a musical household. When I was a kid there seemed to be always something musical happening in the house - even if it was just records / radio playing.
  12. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i can go back to at least 1916, when my great grandfather was one of the founder members of Ifton Brass Band.
    My grandfather also played in the band with his brothers.
    my mother also plays as do both my sisters, and abigail is also starting to take a great intrest in playing, so if you start with her, my family goes back at least 5 generations!!!
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Was this really Dinnington?

I also watched this programme and thought I heard the band described as Dinnington but it didn't sound like a winning 3rd section band and that Toby seems to have aged a bit since taking up the stick.

Can anyone confirm that is was Dinnington or perhaps their training band?
  14. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I can't confirm it, but it looked like the training band as all the front row cornets, at least, were kids... can't have been older than 15. There were a few adults dotted around though
  15. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

2nd generation - my mum played tnor horn in SA band, I have 2 children playeing (1 trombone, 1 sop) so hopefully the 3rd generation is sorted.
  16. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Slightly odd my story...
    My Great Grandfather on my dad's side played Cornet in various (mainly colliery) bands in Scotland in the early part of the 1900's. This musical vein seemed to skip a generation, as, as far as i'm aware, my Grandfather never played at all. My Dad can play the said cornet (a rare example of early 20th century instrument manufacture - Small bore, high pitch, assorted pitch-altering shanks, you name it) but can't read a note of music. He also (allegedly) plays guitar, but I beg to differ. Only joking Dad!! ;)
    On my mother's side, it seems she was the only one to play, as she played 'Cello at an early age to Grade 8 standard, and later took up the Euphonium (then moving to Baritone) at age 42!! But she only started playing after both me and my sister (Tenor Horn) started.
  17. Scotty

Scotty Member

Well i think im second generation, my mum was the solo horn player with the legendary shotts band of the late70's early eighties and also had a small spell with CWS Glasgow on solo horn in 1984 i think.

Before that i don't know but i do know that my Grandmothers grandfather (hope that makes sense) conducted the whitburn band in the early 1900's
  18. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

As far as I know, Im the only one to pick up a brass instrument. Although I live in Stocksbridge (near Sheffield) I have always grown up with Brass Bands as there is a long tradition of it in my 'neck of the woods'. I know of lots of friends who's parents and granparents were in brass bands. There is even a local history book with photos of them.

By the way... It wasn't Dinnington. It was Thurcroft Welfare Junior Band. Although Dinnington are near-by it wasn't them! (I used to play for Thurcroft so my source is pretty reliable!!)
  19. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

Somewhere at home, I have an old B&W photo of Bedale brass band in which I am told all the members of the (full) band bar 2 are members of my family! And the guy on Baritone is my Great Grandfather. So I guess I was fated to pick up something brass at some point...

We have his old baritone at my mum and dad's house somewhere and it still plays!

Sadly the Bedale band folded, but I understand it has been recently resurrected...
  20. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I know my Grandad played with the Wigston band at one time