banding ethics?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Blower, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Blower

Blower Member

Have you ever sat in the pub after band with your mates week after week only to find that in the end they weren't the mates you thought they were when when times get tough they **** off to a rival band, and a band they've slated...

I appreciate that players want to play to the best of their ability but to slate them one minute and then join them is taking the ****!?
  2. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Wow! Sounds like someone has had a rough evening!
  3. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Yes I think it have happened loads of times in Wales over the past 10 or so years. Mainly between Championship bands but................
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

We all say things in the heat of the moment and when it seems appropriate to do so without considering the consequences. People leave bands and join others on a daily basis. After all, it's only a hobby.

My opinion is this: If you are committed to play with a band, then play with them. When the time comes (for whatever reason) to move on, do so with good grace, giving the band a reasonable notice peroid in which to find a replacement. There really isn't any room nowadays for grudges between bands, as we all help each other out in times of crisis, so if you shout your mouth off in the pub about how rubbish band X is, it will probably come back to haunt you (been there, done that).

There are a number of people around (some are on this forum) who view banding almost as a religion. It isn't. It's just the same as playing golf/cricket on a Sunday, being a member of a Christmas lights committee, or dressing up as Oliver Cromwell. If we were to take a slightly more relaxed stance on the whole movement, we wouldn't get into all this nastiness in the first place. And, you never know, we might attract a few more players who left their bands because it was getting unpleasant.
  5. Texus

Texus Member

welcome to the world of banding as we know it......
    What really gets me is the amount of people that get on their high horses about the way that your band is run, do nothing about it and then ****** of anyway if you don't please them.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe since it was a rival band that was involved it would be better to keep quiet about it ... there could have been an early exit if there was some resentment!
  7. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Well said, it's the world in which we operate. This is how bands work and nothing will change it
  8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Looking after number 1?

(And maybe, in the long run, you're better off without 'em?)
  9. Bungle

Bungle Member

Well you could take a certain amount of pleasure when they are kicked out of the new band to make space for a 'better' player.
  10. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

:eek: It's Not???? When did that happen??? :biggrin: ;)