Banding Capital.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fattyfattybumbum, Mar 14, 2008.

1. fattyfattybumbum

fattyfattybumbum New Member

Having been Banding for more years than i care to remember (or can remember) and played for verious bands in the U.K.... What area in the U.K would you say is the Brass Banding Capital? My thoughts are the North West of England!
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... and where is it that you live then...? ;)
  3. fattyfattybumbum

fattyfattybumbum New Member

Born in Wales.... now live in Lancashire !
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

For what its worth...and I realise this is a bit off topic, I would say Columbus, OH for the USA and Toronto, Ontario for Canada.

(just trying to add some internationalness to this thread)
  5. David Mann

David Mann Member

Queenshousethorpe-o't' barn.
  6. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Seriously though - Huddersfield! Within a few miles we have Brighouse, Pennine, Marsden, Black Dyke, Yorkshire Co-Op, Lindley, Emley, Grange Moor, Huddersfield and Ripponden, Elland, Slaithwaite etc etc.
  7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

(except you missed an 'h'.... o' th' Barn ;) /pedant )
  8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

As we say up here " Gerroutofit" - Yorkshire by a country mile.
    OK, ( Back pedal) I will concede that the national heart of Brass Banding is possibly, IMHO, anywhere within a 25 mile radius of Huddersfield, which I suppose, grudgingly, includes the heartland of Lancashire/Cheshire Banding.
    - Wilkie
  9. I have to say Yorkshire too. There seems to be a lot more brass banding going on down there. Although maybe not quite as much as there used to be?

I come from Dumfries & Galloway (Scotland) and there really aren't that many bands which is disappointing because we don't get as much support as the pipe bands do.

There are approx. 5 brass bands in D&G (correct me if I wrong) and only 2 contest - the band I play for, Annan and this year Dumfries Town started to contest again.

10. David Mann

David Mann Member

It's a hypothetical place in line with today's favourite word!
  11. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

12. robcav

robcav Member

etc,etc to include Skelmanthorpe too, I hope. Two successful bands in one village.
  13. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Or at least within 1 AU of the city limits... ;)
  14. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

15. nathan enis

nathan enis New Member

It's got to be down in Yorkshire.

Are we going to apply the 'It must have a cathedral' rule to be a capital city, or not?
  16. Would it not be the place with the highest banding population? I don't know where that is!
  17. millie6589

millie6589 Member

totally agree, definately Yorkshire!
  18. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I would say Yorkshire too, it has certainly has the 'highest concentration' of quality bands IMHO
  19. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Perhaps someone would like to define the word "capital". It is a word often used to define the focal point of political power. Would such a definition change the debate at all?
  20. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Yep, its got to be Yorkshire. Its the home of brass banding.