Banding article in the Daily Telegrah

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brian Bowen, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

The brass Proms concert seems to have inspired Daily Telegraph music critic Ivan Hewett to write "How Brass Bands Got Their Gleam Back". See it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/07/18/bmproms118.xml

It's woefully sloppy in a number of ways, e.g., wrong spellings of names, Paul Hindmarsh the editor of The Bandsman, etc., but overlooking these it does make some useful observations.

2. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Nice, thanks.

3. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Aside from the errors, I thought it was quite a good article compared to other articles I have read in the non band press. He was clearly writing from a different perspective and it was interesting. He seemed to suggest that if we could tempt music (and not testpieces) from high profile and up and coming composers within the wider world that it would catch the ear of himself and his contemporaries. I think plenty of people realise this already and maybe if there was a/ were virginal brass bands composers listening to the brass prom they may be tempted to write a piece in the knowledge that there are ensembles of such a high quality to put on a great performance. Lets hope so.

At least he had got some up to date information about what brass bands are doing in general and limited his reference to miners.

Igg

P.S. Anybody know if that story/ myth about Grimethorpe has any elements of truth??;)

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Even if it doesn't, it sure would've been a great story to come back with, wouldn't it? ;)

5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

I understand that the article was written in a bit of a hurry and was based on telephone interviews and conversations.

On the whole, I thought it was well written and pleasing that brass bands were featured in a national daily broadsheet.

It was great that our website got a mention too. :)

6. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Indeed, very nicely written.