Banding and the Riots

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di B, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Di B

Di B Member

Is anyone affected by the riots? I know some in London who are not feeling comfortable. Wondered if any Bands or bandrooms had been affected/were at risk?

Is there anything we can do to support? Are you insured against this sort of thing??!

I am guessing a few bands are having the odd night off....
    Wishing everyone affected my best.
  2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Thank's for the concern and offer of support. We had almost full attendance last night.

Don't know about Croydon band, but they actually practice outside of Croydon. Other than that all the areas in London that have been looted, are shopping centres with JD Sports and Currys etc.......

Most bands practice in Churches, Clubs and so on, and would not be anywhere near the rioting/looting.
  3. Johncornetflugel

Johncornetflugel New Member

Croydon Brass rehearse in a church 2 miles north of last nights riots. I drove through the centre of Croydon about 19:40 and police were everywhere and several roads were closed and the tramlink service had been suspended. It was obvious something was kicking off and I had to decide whether to continue to band or turn round and go home. I turned up at the church where it was decided to have a blow but maybe finish a bit early. During the evening a band member received a couple of phone calls from his daughter updating us on the situation.We all seemed very aware of any unusual noises coming from outside. At 21:15 we decided to call it a night and I went home via a very different route through the back streets of East Croydon trying to avoid the "war" zone. It took me 45 mins instead of the normal 25 mins. Luckily my wife didn't have the news on and was oblivious to what was going on (otherwise she would have panicked) and just said "You're home early, why?" I just said put Sky news on and we continued watching till gone 1 a.m.
  4. worzel

worzel Member

I was late for the second half of Monday's practise due to getting caught up in a lock down in Waitrose after hiding in there when I saw a marauding bunch of hoodies running towards me and police cars screeching to a halt all around me.
  5. euphymike

euphymike Member

between home in romford and band in Walthamstow I pass 6 speed cameras. I would be nice if the liitle mites could sort them out for all drivers on A12 eastern avenue plus the new lights at Gants hill roundabout!