Banding and Smoking?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by _si, Feb 13, 2010.

1. _si

_si Member

I was just thinking about how attitudes have changed over the past 20-25 yrs regarding smoking.
    Its been 20 yrs since my banding days ended and upto that point there were always a few smokers in the bands i played in. Even in the top section .
    How have things changed over the past 20 yrs? Are there still smokers in most bands? Are there any well known top players who smoke?
    I remember in the old days the most we ever got was maybe the odd sarcastic remark from the conductor, but nothing too harsh was ever said, and i was certainly never told to stop 'or else'.
    Any thoughts?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    yrs
    conductor
    banding days
    point
    Smoking
  3. b-flatcharlie

b-flatcharlie Member

Most of Nelson Brass Band smoke!

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

There are still almost always a few smokers in lower section bands and, partially due to the stubboirn streak that most bandsmen have (read that as independant spirit ;)) there almost always will be. It'll just be that bit harder to detect as the thought police close in on all public spaces, cars, houses, etc. I am an ex-smoker (over 4 years) and I feel some sympathy for smokers in bands, except when I have to pass through a cloud of their smoke to get into the bandroom.

5. Elliebone

Elliebone Member

This reminds me of my early days in banding - as a teenager I was expected to sit between two pipesmokers in the trombone section, who could both play the trombone and keep the St Bruno Flake burning during the entirety of a two-hour band practice. On top of that, the conductor and many of the other players left cigarettes burning on the stand DURING pieces and took a quick drag whenever they had a bar or two rest. Then there were the concerts in clubs and pubs where you couldn't see the audience for smoke - I am not sure but think that the players were not allowed to actually smoke during a performance, although beer under the chair was a regular feature!

It's no wonder breath control was a challenge back then! Here's to smoke-free bandrooms and concert venues! Hope the thought police don't turn their attention to beer though...that would be harder to give up than the cigs...be warned...the signs are there!!

6. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Only 2 smokers in our entire band at the moment which I think is great but probably unusual. I quit 3 years ago and our percusionnist quit also quite recently. I don't think there is any prospect of persuading the final 2 to quit the weed though!!

7. Al

Al Member

There's plenty of tab ends always scattered around the door of the bandroom these days, which kinda sums up the selfishness of smokers.

When the smokers come back in after the break you can smell their breath as soon as they walk in the room. I would say there are definitely a lot less smokers in bands than there used to be (I was once one of them).

8. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Think there's only 3 smokers now in my band... all 3 in the cornet section too! I'm chuffed to say I've not been one of the smoking crew for 12 months now. Defo feel the benefit of quitting, particularly losing the eau de ashtray and having more cash. Have also been told that I'm playing much better and under no circumstances must I resume the habit.

Just need to work on the other 3 now!

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

10 quid says you're fighting a losing battle. Committed gaspers, the lot of 'em :biggrin:

10. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

haha yes I know! But it's worth a shot!

11. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

As a none smoker and asthma sufferer I was just going to get up and leave Band Practise because someone None playing was smoking in the room and I couldn't Breath. The Rules were changed that night no one smoked inside the Band room from then on. I didn't want to make a fuss but I knew if I stayed there I was going to be really ill. The conductor wanted to know Why I was leaving early. I told him the rest was history. All the doors were opened and Smoking Banned from the Band room. That was some 14 years ago now at least. If it can affect others health it shouldn't happen in the Band room.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    yrs
    conductor
    banding days
    point
    Smoking
  13. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Too right!
    Glad smoking in public places has been banned here now - nothing worse than trying to play whilst choking on someone else's cig fumes.

14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I wish I still smoked....

15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

As far as I know we don't have a single smoker in our band. Or any empty seats come to think of it thankfully! :p

16. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Me too.....

17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

aye, right....

btw, how was the sop player?

it's not right, being landed in the **** like that....

18. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

We have 3.5 at the moment.

If smoking were outlawed, the economy would be in even more **** than it currently is.

19. Laserbeam bass

That is just plain rude. As a smoker I wouldn't dream of having a puff where other people of non-similar tastes are gathered, wether it is in a rehearsal or whislt someone is eating. I can't remember the last time I had a cigarette indoors.

20. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I remember this happening in the old Youth Band I used to play in!

I also remember another band where they had empty baked bean tins with holes cut in them so they could hang from the wing nuts on the music stands and these were used as makeshift ash trays.

21. Laserbeam bass

Long gone are the days when Smoking was fashionable, and they just don't make instruments the way they used to :dunno

Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix spring to mind

22. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I would have done this too. I have always detested smelling of smoke, breathing it in because someone else thinks it's "their right" to do it in front of me if they like, and as the only non smoker in my household growing up it was the cause of many an argument! I used to hate going to bars with my old band in Scotland, as most of the people who went were heavy smokers and I could always smell it in my hair and clothes afterwards. I'm glad there was no smoking in the bandroom when I was there!

In my current band I think we only have 2 smokers, unless some of the younger ones are sneaky about it! It's amazing how things change, even when loads of people still smoke, the fact that there's a ban in most public spaces (I can't wait until I don't have to cross the road so that I don't walk along the street behind smokers... but that might never happen), means it's more socially acceptable to be a non smoker and it also makes going out much more pleasant for those of us that don't smoke (apart from when we have to walk through a group of smokers to get into the bar/restaurant/gig!).