Banding and Families

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sale, Jun 19, 2007.

1. sale

sale Member

I just want to see what people think about families in banding (eg. Mums, Dads and Kids) i am in this catagory and wondered wat people feel about families in a band, have you got any at your band and what you think

Thanks

Matt sale

2. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

families

We have a fairly incestuous feel to our band not only are there three family groups but those not in the families are going out with each other. This makes for a fairly scary time as a conductor. One wrong word and you can upset the whole band. The upside is that they all pull together and you get nearly full band practices.

3. sale

sale Member

yea i kno what you mean if you loose one player from the family yo could loose them all (or relocation or somthing likethat)

thanks anyway

4. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Families in bands are great - A great many couples play in bands together.

5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

When my Dad re-started Manea Silver Band in the early eighties, they would have been hard-pushed without the Wilsons! He conducted, I played Solo Horn, my Mum played trombone and my Sister played Euphonium. A few years later, when my Dad retired from conducting, the whole trombone section was me, my Dad and my Mum!

I think banding is a very family-oriented pursuit and many bands would struggle without whole familes in them. Further up the banding spectrum, the Childs family have been very important in the banding world over the past 20 years or so!

6. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

We currently have one husband/wife pair in the band and one father/son pair. The good part is that you don't end up with as many conflicts about schedule (e.g. if my wife wants me to do something on a given day and there's a band conflict, it can be an issue.) The down side is when you lose one you lose them both usually.

7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Although not all family we have
    Euph married to percussionist
    Flugel married to Solo Eb Bass
    Principal Cornet married to Eb Bass
    1st Horn and MD living together
    1st horn & 2nd Baritone Daughter & Father
    Solo Euph & 1st Baritone living together
    Shandy Lee living with himself in a dream world full of ladies! :wink:

8. Bungle

Bungle Member

Families are good, my daughter plays in the same band, but problems can arise when a familly dominates a committee. I know of one band that in its' constitution specifies that no more than one member of a family can be on the committee.

Also when a family moves away it is a bigger problem.

Currently posting from Hiedelberg, Germany. German keyboards are a right päin.

9. rachelbaritone

rachelbaritone New Member

Grief, never really thought about it in a list like that. Think of the wife-swapping potential ....... or maybe not!!!!;)

10. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

My head hurts now :-?

11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

OMG!!!! :eek: Mind you I have had less bands than wives!!!!

12. Bobbi's girl

Bobbi's girl Member

myself, hubbie, son & daughter plus brother-in-law all play at Dodworth; my father-in-law also used to play. our conductor's sister plays horn, husband & wife team on flugel & baritone,BBb player's wife is librarian, 1st horn player's dad is on committee & also plays when we need someone on baritone/Eb.........not many players left who aren't related in some way!

13. Tracey

Tracey Member

In Old Silkstone we have :-
    principle cornet lives with 1st horn
    flugel lives with solo euph
    solo horn married to 3rd cornet and daughter plays 3rd cornet
    3rd man down's son plays rep with dodworth
    percussion players are brothers when 1 comes back from working away
    and myself on back row married to BBb player who is conductor of Old Silkstone B Band and daughter plays baritone in B band

Can make life very complicated to say the least

14. Tracey

Tracey Member

Oh and in the B band

father and daughter conductor and baritone
    father and daughter both play cornet
    father and daughter play cornet and horn
    brother and sister play euph and cornet
    mum and son play baritone and bass
    mum and daughter play baritone and horn
    husband and wife play bass and cornet

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

At Hadleigh we have:

Father bandmaster & son solo cornet
    Father Principal Cornet & son 1st cornet
    Mother baritone & daughter solo horn
    Father solo horn, mother trombone & son trombone
    Grandfather euphoium, son bass trombone, grandson euphonium
    Father EEb bass & son solo cornet
    Father BBb bass & son percussion

16. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

We have Father and two daughters,
    Father, son and daughter,
    two sisters

17. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Our band was struggling for a percussionist, so I attached myself to an oboe player who had (rightfully) got sickened by the wind band thing and who'd played percussion at school and really missed it, and made him feel like a brass band widower right from the off! I took him to all our gigs, had him signed for the band within 3 months, he was converted to our ways, so I married him! 8 years he's been there now and still gets excited about contests! Downside is if I don't help him with all his gear he takes the pure huff and I have to listen to him moan about how he has to play several instruments when I've only got one to worry about?:confused:

So if your band is short of players, recruit by offering people the pick of your fine young singletons! Bonus all round!:woo :clap:

18. cornetsquint

cornetsquint Member

in our band;
    Eb Bass son plays principal cornet who is married to Solo baritone
    other Eb bass son plays 2nd trombone and brothher plays solo cornet
    Bb Bass married to 3rd cornet and thier son plays 2nd Euph
    same 3rd cornet sister plays trombone and she is married to bass trom
    2nd man down is married to the percussionist

Which can get very confusing!!

19. Our MD is married to our 2nd trombone player, who happens to be my mum and his niece is our 2nd horn player.
    Then there's my cousin on percussion.
    There's our solo horn player married to our first horn player, with their 3 sons all in the band on eb bass, percussion and 3rd cornet.
    Then theres our 1st trombone player married to our 2nd baritone player and their daughter is our principal cornet (and my girlfriend)!
    There's also our other Eb Bass player who is married to our rep's sister (making our eb bass/rep, brother&sister in law)

It can be quite confusing at times but it's good fun and we all get on (most of the time :D )

20. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

So who plays the banjo?;)