Banding Ambitions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

Do you have any banding ambitions ?

Dare you share them ?!

I currently have 2

Become Principle Cornet with a band ON MERIT !

Be P. Cornet with a contesting band and win a contest !

it is going to take quite a bit of work to achieve, but...

no pain, no gain :biggrin:
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Win the nationals

Get promoted a few sections

Play Rhapsody for Trombone at a top class concert venue

Conduct a band

Done the rest
  3. Ali

Ali Member

I was thinking about this the other night actually. At the beginning of the year I only had 2 major ambitions left.I always wanted to do the Nationals at the R.A.H. I have performed there once before in a joint concert with YBS and Sellers but I had never got to the Finals. I had a major chance to eradicate that blip when I was given the opportunity to join Leyland and compete at the Royal Albert Hall.
    And of course I would like to add to to my success rate in competition but in all honesty, really for me, my only major ambition now is to play at the Europeans. Its the only major contest I haven't played at and I would just love to gain that prestigious event on merit to my C.V. I do of course dream about the day that im one of the lucky ones that wins the Open or the Nationals and gets to relish in the moment but im not going moan if it never happens.
    The movement has given me the opportunity to perform at some of the finest venues in the country with some of the finest bands and with the pride that goes with it, well, if this is the pinnacle of my banding, then so be it. I for one wont complain if I don't achieve all my goals and ambitions.
  4. I would like to win the Yorkshire region contest, dont care which section

Once ive won it as a player, I then want to win it as an MD

When ive got that from Yorkshire I would like to do the same in the North West region
  5. eanto

eanto Member

Good question! :clap:

My ambition is to attend a full rehearsal, and the same people being there the next time!!

Never going to happen I know... but I can be ambitious can't I :)
  6. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Main aim this year was to get a one now :)
    Id like to get through to the Nationals. Almost did it this year so that's my main aim next year.
    That's presuming I'll still be able to play, health permitting...all being well
  7. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

beat me to it... still we can all dream can't we.
  8. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Play at the Open - end of!
  9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Mine WAS to play at the National Finals one day (after qualifying at the area with the same band) - had been since I sat on the contest stage for the first time in 2001 (being at a slight disadvantage and not picking a brass instrument up till I was 18!!). Didn't matter in which section and on what seat.

Finally made it this year :)
  10. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

i want to win
  11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Funnily enough was discussing this sort of thing with the good lady only this morning.

Simple one really - to play with Cawston Band in the Championship Section.

Joined them in 1980 when a 4th section band, now 1st section. Having never played for any other band, would love to have played from bottom section to top section with the same band!
  12. debs66

debs66 Member

DITTO!!!!!!! But as they say, miracles we can do, the impossible takes a little longer......:roll:
  13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I'd quite like to have a blow with every band in the Country!
    Have camper van will travel :D
    Hey, think how much money I could make for charity if I "drummed" up enough interest :wink:
  14. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

This is blackmail. I'll give you a stay away from my bandroom ;)
  15. steve butler

Ahhh I could be onto something here :D
  16. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

play at llandonna village hall - check.............get a free burger for helping menai bridge band out...check
    start up the worlds best ompah band xx......check

yes all accounted for ;)

xx disclaimer...the world infamous bierkeller brass have been described as "the best fun you can have with your clothes on".." ballbustingly funny " ....." the greatest ompah band in the greater bangor area".......
    great band , not so sure about the lad on the funny looking disasterphone or the one they call the Red funny I nearly nearly punched the frontman...
  17. steve butler

Sounds like an oxymoron (whatever that means) to me.;)

I've always wanted to play at the National Finals in London (did do once years ago, with a youth band, but I'm not counting that!) and play at the Europeans. Time is running out for me I fear with the 2nd one, but the 1st one shouldn't be too far out!
  19. toptutti

toptutti Member

Play until the day I die and enjoy every minute
    That the grandaughter maintains her interest in the band and sit next to her as she plays in her first contest
  20. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

In no particular order....

Win a Yorkshire Area (I'm not fussed about the section) or other major/moderate contest.

Get through a rehearsal without swearing.

Play a stand-up solo again. (Unlikely I'll admit, currently being a BB jockey.)

Learn to get down to pedal G.

Write something that's even a zillionth as good as Year of the dragon, Pagnainni, Kingdom Triumphant, and a list of others that goes on for a week.

Get something I've written selected as a set-test piece - so everyone can say "Andi Cook? Who the (insert expletif here) is he?!" and go along to listen to the contest incognito.

Learn to conduct.