Banding. A Hobby or Way of Life?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by OneTonBass, Jun 4, 2008.

1. OneTonBass

OneTonBass Member

I was once playing golf with a Bb Bass player from the band I used to play with at the time.

Whilst standing on the green ready to putt, I commented
    "Golf is my hobby to get away from my hobby."
    he replied seriously "What's your other hobby then?"
    "Playing in the band of course!" I answered as I took my shot.
    He shook his head in disbelief, and responded with the comment that brings a smile to my face whenever I recall him saying it.
    "Bands not a hobby its a way of life!"

A few years later, having taken a break and come back to playing I think i'm inclined to agree with him.

Whats it for you?
    Hobby or Way of Life?
    When does it make the transition from one to the other?

Cheers

Rich

2. leisa

leisa Active Member

way of life for me definatly, all my friends barr about two are in bands, i live with a bander, most of my weekends are dedicated to band....definatly not just a hobby

3. weenie

weenie Member

Leisa, I'm in the same boat!!

4. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

If you asked me 5 years ago i would say it was a hobby but now its just a way of life!:rolleyes:

5. Ali

Ali Member

I would agree with both Leisa and Weenie. It began as a hobby when I was a youngster but once you get into it, it becomes so much more. Its like an addictive drug. Once it takes hold of you you cant get away. It becomes your life! Or is it just me?

6. jim

jim Member

Way of life for sure!

7. joker66

joker66 Member

Its a way of life for me too. My parents and my brother played as did lots of my aunts, uncles and cousins; my mum also conducted before retiring. I'm now married to a bass player and my daughters both have their own instruments now.

Wouldn't have it any other way though.

Liz

8. vonny

vonny Member

Once upon a time banding was a way of life but now it's a hobby. I remeber when I couldn't wait to get home from school, from college, from university so I could go to band and I enjoyed it very much!
    It's not been easy bringing up 3 children without the support of a partner... and I know there are many who have, and are currently in a similar position.
    Being a part of a band was brilliant because I was able to gain time away from my responsibilities. Now I have a job which involves so much travelling that it takes up much of my time but when I am at home I like to spend time with my family and also catch up on tmp.

9. Lyndon Price

Lyndon Price Member

no contest...... W O L

10. sooze booze

sooze booze Member

Where do I start?!! My husband is band manager,chairman and 1st BBb bass, I am assistant treasurer, contest secretary, youth and junior band tutor and solo baritone. Our twin daughters play in our youth band on 2nd trombone and flugel and our youngest daughter plays cornet in our junior band. With the exception of our youngest, we also play in our community band!! My Dad plays EEb bass in the community band, my sister, brother, sister in law and brother in law are also players in various bands too along with a large handful of relatives who do or have played at some point in their lives.
    It most definately is, and always has been, a way of life for our family, it's just the best fun ever, we love it! I've met some of my closest friends through banding and my non-banding friends even arrange nights out around band engagements, mind you, most of their kids play in the youth and junior band too! After all, if you can't beat 'em............... :cool:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb
    Hobby
    golf
    head
    smile
  12. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Got to be a way of life!!! I hadn't played for aprox twenty years and started again about two years ago and it's like i never left it.It is such a buzz i realy can't figure out why I left it in the first place.Cheers for the phone call Jon. :)

13. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Why is it if we say "its just a hobby", that means that is somehow isn't as important to us? Rather than a way of life can it not just be a hobby we are committed to? To really enjoy playing you have to have dedication to reach a certain standard - same with any other hobby or sport.

14. animal.22

animal.22 Member

The way I look at it is this :-
    If I have a hobby ,it is something that I do in my spare time.
    Banding is a way of life, so anything I do outside of work and banding is a hobby.Therefore, banding is not a hobby.
    P.S. I was pi###d when I wrote this so please dismiss it if you wish.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  15. bbg

bbg Member

For many of us on this forum , it can only be a way of life, the amount of times we log on to tMP.........

An interesting question though - I work long hours including most weekends, but still try to fulfil as many rehearsal / concert / contest commitments as I possibly can. Have had two full weekends off since January 1st - first one spent at our residential rehearsal weekend prior to the "Scottish", the second was that contest weekend itself. Am due to have weekend no3 off on 14/15 June.........and will be on the road at 7am on the Sunday as we have a job 90 miles away at 10.30 that day.
    Just a hobby???!!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OTB, I think you missed the option of "pain in the neck, but we do it anyway!"

17. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Way of life, ultimate geek over here has created his own mini banding world with currently over 250 completetly made up bands and players. Have competitions and everything.

How b***** Sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

For me, it's music that's a way of life - not necesarily brass bands. Playing the saucepans has exposed me to many organisations other than brass bands, and I hold them all in equal regard. Ultimately, music is a way of life, certainly not a hobby.

19. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

It started off as a hobby but since then my father is law is a bander (which is great as I get away with murder) most of my friends are banders, I band most weekends, all I talk about is band, I have wardrobes full of random uniforms and tee-shirts.. so it is defo a way of life, I dont think any other hobby takes up this much time and expence............. but soon as my 15 month old son is old enough/shown interest im sure he'll be the same... plus il'll need him to drive me so I can get popped up.............long live banding

20. Dai Thomas

Dai Thomas New Member

It's a way of life for me, that's for sure.

I sometimes wonder how I fit in work around my band commitments.

All said, I don't think I would want to change things.

21. flugelman

flugelman Member

Couldnt agree with you more Ian!!! My son already drives his mother mad by asking for band music on in the car. She keeps wanting to bring him to a contest. Not until he can buy his Dad a beer!!!!

Bobsie lets you get away with murder?!?!? Cant see that happening!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb
    Hobby
    golf
    head
    smile