Band Websites....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Mar 13, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Righty folks I need some help!

How can I build a brand new band website with only a limited knowledge of HTML? and still have it looking fantastic, amazing and all professional?

Any Ideas?
    I'm currently trying too do it on word but i'm having difficulty with pictures!
    Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Fi
    xx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fixx
    difficulty
    brand new band website
    advance Fixx
    Thanks
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

It isn't easy to do this sort of thing in Word. If you don't have much knowledge of HTML, then you might be better off using something like FrontPage or DreamWeaver, but you have to shell out money for both of them (well you do for FrontPage, I'm not sure about DreamWeaver - I've never used it).

There are free HTML builders out there on the web - Netscape Composer is quite a good one and it comes bundled with the Netscape Navigator software. There are probably others too.

Pictures are always difficult because you have to link to them, rather than just pasting them in. And then, a link to the picture may work on the PC, but when you upload it it won't work! It all depends exactly what you want to do. PM me if you need a hand.....

4. Di

Di Active Member

Have a chat with John Fi. tMP offer web hosting solutions. :)

5. meandmycornet

Thanks Dave.... I am downloading a demo of dreamweaver.... its a bit pricey so i'll have too hope I can get everything done in 30 days! :tongue:

6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I would back up what Di has said - ask John :tup John will help you use a program which allows you to set up a nice looking website without any knowledge of html and host this for you. This is certainly a good option for people with no html knowledge. The last thing you want to do is set up a website you will find difficult to update.

7. meandmycornet

now now Di! :tongue: I need too build the website before it can be hosted! of course tMP will be my first choice though! :D

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Actually, you need to have it hosted before you build it. How are you going to check and see what it looks like if you don't have a server to put it on? Looking at a preview in any of the HTML-generator products is not the same as checking with a real browser coming from a real server.

And you want to check it in at least FireFox and IE, if possible (FF for standards compliance, and IE because of market share).

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Funny you should mention that - he's supposed to be hosting mine, but he's gone a bit quiet over the last couple of weeks! Maybe he is snowed under....or maybe just snowed in! ;):D

If you do have chat with him - can you remind him about me? I did pm him last week for an update but haven't had a reply yet :biggrin:

10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

As much as I hate to disagree with a mod, I disagree! ;)

The preview function in the editor will be fine for checking how the website is intended to look. I do agree though that you need to check everything once it has been hosted as links and images do have a habit of breaking. And the advice to check in more than one browser is sound. :clap:

11. dyl

dyl Active Member

As would simply opening the site in your browser! Of course, performance in terms of speed, can only be tested when the site 'lives' on it's chosen server!

Another recommendation is to remember to use a proper image editor to resize images and not just resize them within the pages themselves - I've seen quite a few band sites do this - and it simply takes way too much time to download a page of images resized this way - people won't wait for them to laod - they'll soon give up!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fixx
    difficulty
    brand new band website
    advance Fixx
    Thanks
  13. meandmycornet

Ok you lot are far too technical for me! :tongue:

I've finally managed to download the dreamweaver demo.... and I have up the website which the wonderful amazing and very clever HBB started for me not too long ago :D and I'm in the process of editing it! I have one problem though.... how on earth do I get a new page up with with exactly the same template/background as the rest of them? I asked ben but he seems to have fallen asleep!

one other question..... how can I get the websites URL too be www.smtb.co.uk? or similar? :tongue:

Fi
    xx

14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Not for the first time ;) :tongue:

Difficult to say without knowing how the template was created in the first place. You could probably cheat by copying the page and deleting the content - thereby just leaving the template behind. Might be better to wait for Ben though if he set this up - he would know how he did it.

You need to register it as a domain. There are loads of companies that will do this for you - I use http://www.soho-uk.com who I've always found to be excellent. Just Google for domain registration though and you'll find hundreds of choices! There is a cost for this - about £20 for two years as a rule, but it depends on the end of the URL you want as to how expensive it is. From memory, .com addresses are more expensive than .org.uk addresses (for example). Once you have registered the domain, anybody trying to access the smtb.co.uk address will be forwarded to where the website really is, but the user won't see it. Clever, eh? :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  15. meandmycornet

Wow dave! your so clever! :tongue: I shall try and wake Ben up again now :tongue: otherwise I'll use the copying and pasting idea as it willl probably work! :D

16. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Hi there!

I asked a similar question about this time last year, heres a link to the thread here.

After all the great advice, I just ended up exploring the Front Page program that was on my computer and just used that in the end, altho I have taken heed of some your advice guys!

It enables me to do everything I want (so far) on our website, without a problem, and I got John to host it for me!

Nearly a year after going online, its had nearly 3500 visits, won tMP's "Website of the Month" for October, and it has let people know alittle more about our wee band!!

Good luck!

17. meandmycornet

Thanks Willie,

I actually discovered your previous thread last night whilst doing a bit of research! I think I've decided to go for the tMP hosted website.... its seems soooooo much easier! Just waiting for John to get back too me now :D

Fi
    xx

P.S. The Website is great! Here's hoping mine might come out half as good as yours!

18. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

The latest edition of Computer Active magazine has a feature on building a web-site, it's not bad and aimed at people who have basic knowledge

19. Carina

Carina Member

Google is your friend! There are lots of good websites that explain how to create your own site. I would also encourage you to use your knowledge of HTML and build on it. There are only a few really important HTML tags you need to know about before starting to create a website...then you only need something like notepad to code in, rather than Dreamweaver.

Perhaps take a look at http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp for some help.

20. www.freewebs.co.uk or .com, not sure which, but it gives you different background templates, and then you just put all the info into it, its dead easy!, go for that, i recommend it!