Band Website Hits

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by stephen2001, Feb 15, 2006.

?

How many hits does your band's site get per week?

1. 0-50

16.7%
  2. 51-75

16.7%
  3. 76-100

50.0%
  4. 101-150

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 151-250

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 251+

16.7%
  1. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I've spent the past few days wondering how popular Whitwell Band's site is compared to others on the interweb.

The site gets about 80 to 90 hits per week, which I don't think is too bad for a 3rd Section band.

Roughly how many hits do you get on your band's site per week?

Cheers!

2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It depends on how you're counting - unique visitors or just page views. You will get more page views than unique visitors.

It also depends on where you're counting - if you're only counting on the front page, you may be missing a lot of hits that go directly to subordinate pages (generally found via search engines).

So, for example, The Brass Crest (on Monday, 24-hour period), had 55 unique visitors to the home page and 76 page views on the home page. Overall, 400 distinct hosts (different IP addresses) visited the site, and there were 1102 total page views on the entire site over that period.

3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

And do you count bots and spiders or filter them out from your stats.

4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Whilst not a band site, the SCABA site has averaged 77 unique visitors per week since I started tracking in 1998.

We do get seasonal highs - in the week following each SCABA contest the visitor count goes through the roof - the highest ever was 658 following the Folkestone Contest weekend in 2003.
    (These figures apply to the SCABA homepage only and exclude direct hits on underlying pages).

Also of interest is how they get there:

65.78% come via a website
    34.05% come via a search engine (Google is the largest referer)

I'd be quite interested to learn who the user is in Guadeloupe who has visited the site!

5. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I was thinking total number of hits on the homepage, not including bots, but not unique page hits either if that makes sense!

6. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

I just got our band's website off the ground. It was being hosted on my personal web server, but now has a bonafied host.

http://www.sanangelocommunityband.org

BTW - those are last year's pictures (i'm not in any of them since I joined late in the year), so we'll be putting new shots up soon.

7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

8. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

No - should I?

I didn't think it would be appropriate, being a wind band and not a brass band. Plus, I just stood it up last night.

9. Communicator

Communicator New Member

Could someone please tell me how you gather such detailed stat's?

10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Analysis of server logs. Every web server logs every request for a file or part of a file that hits the server. There are several products available that allow you to read these log files and analyze the results in various ways and for various time periods. I use Analog, which is an open source software available here.

Of course, you have to have access to the server logs in order to analyze them. Most free webhosts do not have server log access (or they have it, but make you pay).

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Whitwell Band
    Section
    popular Whitwell
    Band Website
    Section band
  12. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I think it would be just fine in the "Other Music Related Sites" category.