Band Stands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BIG Paul, Apr 28, 2007.

1. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Having just been to our local park and seen the terrific restoration that Tameside council have done to the Bandstand in Victoria Park Denton.
    I wondered how many other towns and villages still have a useable bandstand and if they are looked after by the council or a voluntary organisation

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I read that £47,800 was awarded for the restoration but I don't know if any recent photos have been presented online to celebrate it's completion. However, did you know that in Victoria Park ... :rolleyes:

http://www.eschoolsconference.org.uk/parks/victoriapark.htm

recent pic here?

3. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

the official opening of the bandstand is 16th June 2007 at 2:00 p.m. with parades and a concert by Denton Brass.

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

That's a tad harsh eh?

5. Bungle

Bungle Member

They built a brand new bandstand and cafe in a park in Widnes last year. Good to see the EU money going to a good cause. Hope the bands that played there enjoyed it. My brother does the bookings for bands in Halton borough council.

Also Folkestone bandstand has recently been refurbished, so they are not all dying out.

Attached Files:

6. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Youth, Stamina, and lack of punctuation will win out

7. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

There are some fantastic bandstands around the country!

For those interested in vintage bandstands this website has plenty to feast your eyes on. You may even spot some of your older band members in their younger days!

Two and a half years ago, I came across this specimen in Australia.

8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Hartlepool have had band concerts for years in Ward Jackson park. When they developed the Marina some bright spark thought it was a good idea to build a bandstand and alternate the concerts between the park and the marina. The only problem was they forgot to ask the bands how much room they need and it's far to small. Now when it's the marinas turn to have a concert we play on board the paddle steamer that's moored there.

Ward Jackson is a great bandstand though

9. Bungle

Bungle Member

10. sale

sale Member

Swinton, salford has a bandstand in victoria park. Its looked after well by the council and theres a band on there every sunday in the summer. Not always a brass band, somtimes wind bands etc but you cant beat a good brass band! lol

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Tameside
    Victoria Park Denton
    local park
    useable bandstand
    Tameside council
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Minehead still has a bandstand, in Blenheim Gardens which has concerts every weekend in the summer, Brass bands twice on the Sundays and some other music genre on the Saturday.

Watchet, in Somerset are planning to build a new bandstand on the harbour esplanade.

13. alanl58

alanl58 Member

We are on holiday in late September near Minehead, are the concerts still on then? What is the local band?

Alanl58
    Bude Metric Brass

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We spent a most enjoyable day on the Pine Walk bandstand in Bournemouth on Saturday, once we'd negotiated the burning lorry on the motorway and other horrendous delays!

To my mind, it is certainly the most agreeable setting I've ever played, looking down across the stream to the holiday makers in deck chairs, on the ground or just walking by, with punters walking along the back of the bandstand as well. Plenty of people around, and they were most appreciative.

15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

No, sorry. The concerts finish at the end of August. Watchet Town Band is the local band. Weds and Fri are practice nights, you'd be welcome for a blow.;)

16. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

Buxton Pavilion Gardens has a nice bandstand. There are bands playing there every Sunday in the summer, and that's mostly brass bands with the odd performance from a local jazz band thrown in. It's a great venue if the weather is good.

17. Bungle

Bungle Member

Just a quick update, my brother no longer is in charge of the bandstand bookings. He was made redundent when the parks and allotment management was merged with the landscape department, but the good news was he was re employed as a sustainability manger (go figure).

Anyone else played on any new bandstands over the summer?

18. euph1991

euph1991 Member

There was a complete restoration of the bandstand at Roberts Park in Saltaire completed in may, my band played at the official re-opening. It looked fantastic!

19. Columbo

Columbo Member

Vale Park, New Brighton has a nice monumental one. We played there last Sunday. You could actually fit the band on there with space to spare!! A voluntary organisation (Friends of Vale Park) look after it. As usual, its not seen as a priority by the council anymore. The concerts are well received. Some 200 watched us which made for a great day.

I'm led to believe that a park is only officially recognised in Britain if it has a Band Stand (Or something like that!).

If someone can tell me how to add photos, I have some.

20. Columbo

Columbo Member

Bandstands

Vale Park, New Brighton has a nice monumental one. We played there last Sunday. You could actually fit the band on there with space to spare!! A voluntary organisation (Friends of Vale Park) look after it. As usual, its not seen as a priority by the council anymore. The concerts are well received. Some 200 watched us which made for a great day.

I'm led to believe that a park is only officially recognised in Britain if it has a Band Stand (Or something like that!).

photo-1.JPG photo-3.JPG photo-5.JPG photo-6.JPG

21. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

By the end of the summer I will have played on 4 different bandstands with both bands.

Rosehill Victoria Park in Rawmarsh, Rotherham - not the prettiest brick built one, but plenty of room for a a full band

Weston Park, Sheffield - the only remaining Victorian bandstand in Sheffield was restored to its former glory and is in use every Sunday in the summer. This one has the sliding sash windows all round to keep the wind and rain off the band.

Queens Park, Chesterfield - again the park has recently had substantial money spent but only a new coat of paint on the bandstand

The Arboretum Nottingham - probably my absolute favourite, its large, carpeted, with sash windows and metal shutters to keep the vandals off when not in use - large storage underneath for enough chairs for the band and 70 or so for the audience if they dont bring their own

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Tameside
    Victoria Park Denton
    local park
    useable bandstand
    Tameside council