Band socials

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MrsDoyle, Jul 26, 2009.

1. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

What kind of band social events do you have and when do you have them? Do you charge?

I ask because it's a possible idea for our band's future...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    events
    kind
    idea
    band
    Band socials
  3. toptutti

toptutti Member

I play in the same bands as you - do I have to drink with you as well?
    In that case it's your round :guiness

4. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Yes. I'll see you at practise tonight, I hope? ;-)

5. alks

alks Member

Well theres: Band Camps (band weekends away) Band Barbecues, Evening dinners, trips abroad, Skittles evenings. All kinds of stuff. Whatever takes your fancy as long as you get along with your fellow band members!

alks

6. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

we have various social functions, not to raise money but to promote closer ties between band members.

Favorites seem to be BBQ's Curry nights, and bowling.

7. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

we usually invade someone's house for an evening/night (we ask them first though ;) ) or we finish rehearsal early and do something at the bandroom

8. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I did a band social once that was a karaoke night in the band club.

Was a good night too.

9. blue juice

blue juice Member

Barbecues. Everyone bring money for meat and their own sides and drinks.
    Quiz nights always go down well.
    Our youth band have done sleepovers in the band room, picnics and rounders days, laser questing, etc.
    Band days out. Eg. Go to the coast and play a bandstand then have a BBQ on the beach

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Local curry house hosts fund-raising evenings on quiet nights - band receives half the proceeds, and good buffet provided.

Can work out a bit expensive, though, and may not appeal to everyone.

Other (cheaper) ideas include quiz nights, social evenings - especially if you've got old photos/films to share. Quiz nights can be especially good if people bring their own refreshments, maximising the income.

Just try to make sure that the cost of these evenings does not create a two-tier set-up, excluding those with more limited funds. If the prime aim is fund-raising, rather than purepy social, then the wider you can spread the net for invitees the less the burden will fall on the same few people.

11. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I've been asked to come up with some ideas of social events for my band (no, I'm not on the committee - it's a sub committee!). The thing is that the "go to pub, get drunk" thing isn't going to work, I'm really not into that any more myself, plus we have loads of under 18s in the band, and it's unfair to exclude them all the time.

I like some of the ideas above, and will look into those further - but would appreciate any more ideas, thanks! (Sorry for thread hijack but it seemed pointless to make a new one for essentially the same thing ;)) I'm looking for things that would be fun for people from early teens to retiral age. I know that every event wouldn't get every member interested, but I'd hope to find something for people across the age groups, and that doesn't just involve going out and getting plastered.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    events
    kind
    idea
    band
    Band socials