Band room less and Sponser less

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rickcowens, Jul 12, 2003.

1. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

hi from the end off August 2003 Hebden Bridge (walkley cloggs) brass band will be Band room less and have no sponsership :cry: ! can anyone help in any kind off way? so close to the finals aswell!
    Hope anyone can help

2. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

sorry to hear that mate, shouldnt you start looking for somewhere else you can rent out to practise in, over a pub in a local rugbyclub or something???? then sort out the money side. fund raisers???!!!
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

sorry to hear about this.
    have you tried talking to the local council, or even local schools for somwere to practice?
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

sorry to hear about this...
    My suggestion is to ask around the local churches...
    should get a good cheap deal to hire a hall for a couple of hours twice a week...
    Maybe worth putting a plee in your local newspaper as well...

I'm sure it'll work out for the band :D
  5. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

It may be different up north - but in the south it is usuall for bands to have no sponsorship and no band room - we think this is normal and acceptable.

Hope you resolve your current problems :)
  6. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I would echo the earlier suggestion of trying churches, they can you usually do with the money.

I think this has been discussed in a previous thread, but this case shows some of the dangers of becoming sponsered. I known of a band near me whose sponsorship is ending and have found raising funds to go to the nationals quite a challenge.

Good luck in sorting out your problems.
  7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Again try local church halls, schools. clubs ect. If you haven't got much money to pay for rooms offer other services e.g churches offer to play in Sunday services once a month, schools offer to teach children and start a school band (quite sneaky this one cos then you can get the kids involved in your band when they're good enough). Clubs offer to put on a Christmas concert or if it's a sports club play for their open days. It's even worth trying sheltered accomodation for the elderly. They nearly always have some kind of hall and are always desperate for entertainment. Hope this helps with some ideas.
  8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Has this announcement just been made? If so why don't you talk to your sponsor (who I presume let you have the rehearsal facility) and see if they are willing to let you continue to practise until the National Finals, reminding them that you will be advertising their company at a National Level.

Just a thought!

9. Despot

Despot Member

Try a local councillor or local elected official.

Might not be able to arrange anything for you, but chances are he/she is better connected and will have better influence/contacts with other local clubs and churches who might be able to help.
  10. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

i shouldnt be telling anyone about this but id fort id get a head start and find some ideas, the reson y we wont have a band room and a sponser is that the mill is closing down at end ov aug (shhhh no ones supose to know)

thanxs for the help so far and ill try local places! thanxs

11. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

OooooOOO Nice one mate, best place to post a secret esp how many people have joined recently MEN!!!
  12. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

Clogging Off! - Hebden lose sponsorship

Hebden Bridge Band have lost their sponsors and band room, but hopes are still high.

The Hebden Bridge Band have informed us that they have unfortunatly lost their 10 year sponsorship deal with the clog company that they have been successfuly associated with for the past 10 years. Even though they have lost their sponsor and bandroom they are still looking at a bright future.

The Prress Release reads as follows:

After more than 10 years continuous sponsorship Hebden Bridge (Walkley Clogs) Band will shortly revert to its original name of Hebden Bridge Band. The band has become well known in the past few years for its association with the Walkley Clogs mill and was often referred to as the “Clogs Band” however the link with the mill and their sponsor is coming to an end.

Ironically the end of the sponsorship comes at a time when the band are enjoying unprecedented success musically with 2 consecutive Yorkshire Championship wins under its belt in 2002 and 2003 and means that whilst preparing for the national finals to be held in Dundee in September they are also looking for a new home. Ian Plant, band chairman, added that he hoped another business might be able to assist them in their search for new premises and help it to continue to prosper.

The band have enjoyed the benefit of a free band room and considerable support from their sponsor and landlord but the expiry of his lease means that they will be looking for a new home from the end of September 2003. Their sponsor, Mr Jew, has reluctantly decided not to renew his lease on the building and has therefore had to serve notice on his tenants of the requirement to vacate the Mill. Mr Jew has offered his good wishes to the band and confirmed he will continue to follow their fortunes closely supporting whenever he can. Ian Plant has thanked Mr Jew personally for his support of the band with the band room and in other ways and wished him well in his future business ventures.

Despite this setback the band will continue to fulfil its busy and varied engagement schedule and is forging on with ambitious plans to promote music making and enjoyment within the community. Plans are well in hand for the production of a CD in November and the band are considering competing in the French Open Brass Band Championships in June of 2004.

More information about the band can be found on or by telephoning their Chairman on 07831 833479.

From 4br
  13. faerie

faerie Member

How true :)
    I hear the search is coming on well though.
  14. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

just got back from holiday and found out we have a new bandroom wich is free! yey :D
  15. rickcowens

rickcowens Member

just got back from holiday and just found out we have a new bandroom! its in a old chicken factory! (hope its been cleaned out) so we wil now be nown as hebden bridge brass band.