Band rivalry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by euphfanhan, Mar 2, 2005.

1. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

No doubt this has come up before, but do most bands have a few bands who they really do dislike? In our band, we have 2, who I won't name, who for some reason annoy us intensely. Whenever we come up against them at a contest or lose members to them there is such a strong feeling of hatred it really is pretty incredible. Even if they play better than us we can't stand losing to them. Is it normal to be so competitive against some bands but not others? Is this just our band or a common thing? Not wanting to start any arguments btw!
  2. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

A bit of healthy competition is good - most bands have a 'benchmark' band to beat, good if it happens unlucky if it doesn't. It's fine as long as things don't get out of hand, I would prefer sitting at the bar with 'rival' bands rather than there being any bad feeling. I suppose its like football eh? :)
  3. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

I dont think ive ever seen riots like Man utd, Everton at a contest though.
    Yea i think sometimes friendly rivalry banter is good fun and having a band to aim for makes sense but i dont think there are any real rivals out there. Maybe im wrong
  4. Lisa

Lisa Member

There is a little bit of friendly rivalry between my band and other local bands but nothing serious!

There is more intense rivalry between me (just me) and my friends who play for Bath Spa band, as to which band is the best! (My band is of course the best! :evil: )

I think its fun when you have friends in the bands you are competing against because it gives those bands more of an identity and it makes you really, really want to beat them, which just makes contesting even more fun! :biggrin:
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

It's much worse at youth band level... some of the rivalries there can get seriously nasty!

(especially when it's not the kids who are the worst perpetrators...)
  6. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I have discovered in the last few weeks that other bands seem to think my band is ultra competitive and this seems to translate into them "hating" us for want of a better word! This comes from players who have never even met anyone from my band! It strikes me as rather odd. We have been a very successful band for the last 30 years but we are a really nice bunch of people. We always seem to be the ones in the bar chatting to everyone at contests but there are other bands in this country who won't even go near us and I don't understand.
  7. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I think there is always going to be some ill feeling towards other bands because of player poaching, etc. But that's what you get when you compete. At least we don't have any Arsenal - Man U type bust ups in the championship section!

From what I remember of banding in Lancaster there were a few choice rivalries!

IYOUNG Member

I remember listening to the 1989 Open broadcast and hearing the compere say about ''once in 1886 the local constabulary had to be called to quell a riot after the results were announced''

Seriously though nothing irritates me more than selfish self centered bands who have no interest in the whole band movement as a whole as long as they are ok thats all that matters.

Be gracious in victory and defeat.......................
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yeaa, rivarly....

When it's subtle, it's ok.... but when people take these contests n stuff too seriously then it gets a bit silly... I like a good laugh and joke between local bands playing in the same section, it's fun and that's why most people are in bands anyway, cos it's a good and enjoyable hobbie...
    When it comes to "hatred".... then I dont wanna know... where's the bandsmanship?
  10. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

A good job you weren't there in Darlington on Sunday. Ray F caught Brian G in the face with a Quattro Staggioni, whilst Gareth P showed fluent skill with the American Hot. Major Ian's height advantage allowed a superb long range shot on Graham W with a Ham and Pineapple deep pan whilst John H - who knows a thing or two about pizza - impressed us all with a superb Tropicano...

11. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Quattro Staggioni, eh? I think we should have an independant inquiry.
  12. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

there seems to be alot of rivalry in youth bands

i think that some rivalry can be a good thing, because it gives you something to aim for. however if in adult bands there is huge rivalry that has the potential to start arguements etc. then that is taking it too far. i think that you can aim to beat a good band in your section, but still be able to sit n have a drink n nice conversation wiv people in that band.

make sense?
  13. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Friendly rivalry is a good thing. Like when I asked a mate of mine, who shall remain anomynous, at areas "how did you play?", he replied "lets just say we've booked the coach!". We qualified & thay didn't. Sent him a text asking for the number for the coach firm!!

What is bad is when there are riots WITHIN the band. Used to happen a number of years ago with Hoov & many a punch was thrown!!!! Those were the days!!!
  14. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Which two? I thought there was three....
    Anyway yeh i never thought about us only hating them an none of the others before thats well weird now youve said that.
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well how i look at it is:
    before you have played its WAR on that stage with your performance, give the rest of the bands in your section SHEER HELL and hope you play well.

After you have played i bet most of you are knocking the beer back with each other, untill the results then its either:) or:mad: with you or them.
    I know i am right on this score.
    Then after its back to the bar if you have dragged yourself out to hear the results or think well we have played a ???? performance today, what will be will be.
    But one thing i will say about us brass band people: No matter what the result we do not go round knocking 10 colurs of ???? out of each other after if you have not got in the prizes.
    We are civilised people who enjoy our banding and 99 times out of 100 the Adjudicator is the one who gets it in the neck everytime for the position we were put.:clap:
    Now i think that is a very true reflection of what part of playing in a Brass Band is all about, then if not lets see what anyone else thinks on that:)
  16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I reallly think that "poaching" can be one of the worst causes for a rivalry. If band A continually takes players from band B, thus disrupting band B's continuity so they can't ever finish better than band A...creates much harder feelings than if band A just beats bad B ever year.
  17. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

But if band A is better than band B the players from band B will want to go to band A.
    Why did i just say that i should be agreeing with you never mind.
  18. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Well it wasnt so much band A taking players from band B, as band B players having no committment and getting bored, and band A was the only band within close proximity. Does that even make sense?
  19. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

yeh but it'd help if you told me who band A is.
    An i do have comittment erm kind of.
  20. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

being a public forum it aint a good idea sharing names on these slightly delicate matters, yonhee......... ;-) all in tmp spirit n all that