Band Required For Whit Walks.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Frontman, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Frontman

Frontman Member

Christ Church, Denshaw, Saddleworth are after a band who are willing to play for the village Walk of Witness on Whit Friday morning.

The parade starts at 10am and finishes 2 hours later, exactley the same as all the villages in Saddleworth.

Any band wanting to partake in the full event of Whit Friday will really find out what Whit Friday is about.

Please contact me a.s.a.p.
  2. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Whit Friday morning

I sent you an email - please can you get in touch. Thanks, Simon
  3. Al

Al Member

With the Whit Friday Marches looking lately to possibly becoming a casualty of its own success, and just to throw a spanner in the works with a suggestion:

What if Whit Friday Band Contest was restricted to only bands that had played in the morning walks? (which let's face it, is the real purpose of the day)

1. - there would be a lot more bands playing in the morning. Not that there seems to be a problem there, although the fact this thread is in existence might say otherwise.

2. - there might be less congestion in the evening if bands were restricted.

3. - churches would hopefully not have a problem finding bands.

4. - the event would be even better (if that could be possible) as it would last the whole day.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  4. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Great sentiment, it'd die a death.

What would work though is a prize for bands that had been out in the morning, but only if it was the same personnel in the evening;)
  5. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Again thought in the right direction but slightly flawed as bands playing in the morning more often than not have to borrow, or play without some positions filled as people have to work, so it would depend how hard you enforced the same personnel rule. But then again who would be responsible for checking its adhered to anyway!
  6. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

Think Dobcross Contest have a Prize for Participants in Whit Walks,
    Not every one can get day off work, and Some unlucky people will be sitting Exams on that day too!!
  7. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

For those who havent been lucky (or interested enough) to witness these morning events, I can highly recommend Uppermill.

I go every year and its great.
  8. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

If you enjoy it that much, why don't you play for Uppermill Band in the morning march, I am sure they would welcome as many players as they can get, as these days getting time of work is becoming increasing difficult for all players of every band.

Uppermill Band always get that extra 'cheer and encouragement' being the local band in the village. From memory, Diggle, Diggle B, Dobcross, Dobcross Youth, Holme Silver, Marsden and usually two visiting foreign bands march into Uppermill.

I would suggest you (and any other tMP members reading this) contact the Uppermill Band manager (I think it is still John Ward and I presume his telephone number is on the band website). Whatever you play and to whatever standard I am sure they would welcome you with open arms.
  9. Frontman

Frontman Member

Whit Friday is just over a month ago and Christ Church Denshaw are still looking for a band.
    Any band up for it?

10. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

Thanks Dobx Dave. Uppermill Band will always welcome players to swell the ranks, whit friday morning and we do get a loud cheer. John Ward is still Band Manager and Chairman. You can contact him or also me - Angela Blythe, Uppermill Band Secretary.
  11. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Cant actually Physically (and Medically) March n Play anymore. But do love to sit n watch.