Band Rehearsals

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tubby, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Tubby

Tubby Member

So last night was our band rehearsal, and I really struggled to get into it for a number of reasons

1, There was lots of stopping rather than playing a piece through and then looking at the detail

2, Quite alot of chatting during the stops

3, Hard day at work so I was tired

4, When I played my mind just really wasn't there

Quite frankly I probably ought not to have gone, does that show a lack of commitment?

2. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Sounds like a typical SA band practice to me.

3. pbirch

pbirch Member

Taking things point by point
    1. This happens, but the BM should let everyone know he is going to do this so that everyone is prepared for it. We hardly ever do this in our band and sometimes t shows in our performance
    2. This is a real pain, but remember that you are accountable for your behaviour not the whole band, one of my colleagues ( an adult not a teen) appears to have been surgically attached to his mobile in rehearsal and performance, you just have to let this one go
    3. So, we are just human, this too happens. I would adopt a 10 minute preparation routine of breathing exercises, meditation ( or even prayer) that can mark a separation from the work day and rehearsal, or what ever you are doing next, do this even ( or especially) if you are late for rehearsal, it will make a difference
    4. Yes, we sometimes turn up in body but our mind takes some time to catch up, particularly if other things are going on in your life
    If this is a one off, or a short term thing, don't worry and don't be too hard on yourself or your colleagues (and we can sometimes project our problems on to other people as in point 2). It is too soon to question your commitment, but do talk to the BM about it, and yes, there are times when there are more important things than playing in the band.

4. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Interesting I suspect this was tongue in cheek?

I note from the two bands I am involved with that talking isn't a problem at the SA band but is at my secular.

The SA members are in general immaculate in tgheir behaviour

5. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Yep TiC!

6. Tubby

Tubby Member

To be fair, Tuesday's at work have become extremely difficult due to the type of work I do, and this really doesn't help with any kind of preparation for the rehearsal.

I love playing in our band, whilst we have some awesome players there are those which are not so good but that doesn't matter because our aim is to glorify God through our music ministry. In 2000 I left the band due to work commitments, playing in 2 other bands and just starting a family; this continued for 5 years and whilst at the time I thought it was the right thing to do I realise now that it was not, but perhaps giving up on the secular bands would have been. I guess sometimes it's easy to think that it's the SA bands commitment and expectations that is the problem especially when the bands performance reputation is a high one like our band is, when really we should be looking at other things within our lives.

We have fantastic fellowship in our band we're not just colleagues but good friends, this is what I should focus on I guess and just hope that my feelings last week will fade.

7. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Amen to both of those things.

Just about how I feel about my SA banding; and in the right order too!