Band playing at Challenge cup final

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by goodthroughout1, Sep 1, 2009.

1. goodthroughout1

goodthroughout1 New Member

Hi, I`m not sure if this is the right area for this, but can someone tell me who the band was at the rugby league challenge cup final at wembly on saturday?? The announcer was very indistinct from where I was sitting. What a great gig to have.

2. Robsop

Robsop New Member

It was Black Dyke at Wembley

3. Tubah

Tubah Member

I did the superleague playoff at Old Trafford last year with Yorkshire Co-op. 2 and a half minutes worth of Jerusalem with Katherine Jenkins. What a buzz when 70,000 rugby league fans go quiet. Bit spooky mind!!

4. Frontman

Frontman Member

Unfortunately the sound system at Wembley is not the best when it comes to live music at half time, but I must say that it was the fastest Great Escape I have ever heard..................

The Warrington fans tried to sing along but could not keep up so they packed in. Shame really it could have been great.

Personally I was there supporting Huddersfield Giants so I was a bit sick with the final result.

But still well done Black Dyke, great ambassadors for the movement.

5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Enjoyed seeing Black Dyke. Was an enjoyable game, but not quite Leeds v St. Helens. Huddersfield had more knock-ons than points.

Re-inforced my opinion of how much better union is. None of this 6 goes then let the opposition have a go. Also, why bother with the scrums when they're putting the ball in the back.

6. critic

critic Member

YOU MUST BE JOKING if they are not gouging there cheating its lost all credebility as union some of them would not be fit enough to play super league

7. goodthroughout1

goodthroughout1 New Member

Thanks all. I really didn`t realise that was Dyke.

8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Since this thread is in the "Auditorium" forum, can we keep this one for discussing the band that was playing at the game?

We have a separate sports forum to discuss the game itself :)

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Aye it's a grand occasion isn't it Hammy? Not a bad little stadium either.....

Hope we get the gig again this year.

Particularly when they put Ms Jenkins on a 2ft high plinth, right in front of us, wearing a rather close fitting ball gown. Played a few wrong notes then I can tell you....

(Although that can't have been helped by her wanting Jerusalem put up a semitone into brass band E major can it?)

10. blue juice

blue juice Member

The dress was the only decent part of her performance. She was **** and you couldn't hear the band over her warbling.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Challenge cup final Hi
    rugby league challenge cup final
    right area
    announcer
    great gig
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Without being too critical of Ms Jenkins - because she is pretty easy on the eye, I do remember the year before last, she dropped out of doing it at a few days notice because she had a cold.

Russel Watson then stepped in to take her place at short notice - knowing already that he was going into hospital in two days time for an operation.... on a brain tumour!

'Nuff said....

13. Tubah

Tubah Member

I thought she was VERY good, but then again I didn't realise she was singing too!!!!:cool:

14. Tiffers

Tiffers New Member

Have to agree that Dyke didn't come over well at all in the ground itself, couldn't really hear anything in row Z up in the Gods. At least I turned up at the match even if my team didn't!

On another note (see what I did there?) I went for a wander around St James' park on Sunday to walk the hangover off and stumbled across the Household Troops Band playing in the bandstand. Wow, how good were they? Was really impressed. I think they're playing up at Bridgewater Hall this weekend, I'd definately recommend anyone to get along for a listen.