Band Pieces with Narration

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chris.neufeld, Feb 25, 2013.

1. chris.neufeld

chris.neufeld Member

Other than Tubby the Tuba, are there any other pieces for Brass Band with narration?
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Elgar Howarth: Fireworks

3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Joseph Turrin: Prologue
    Roger Payne: The Little Swallow and the Happy Prince
    Andy Scott: The Battle of Barossa
    Andy Scott: Spirit of Mingus
    William Walton arr. Edward Watson: Suite from Henry V
    Luke Carver Goss: Pure Gold - a 4 x 4 Relay
    Philip Wilby: Brass
    Peter Graham: Radio City (Trombone Concerto)

And I've always thought that you could read Masefield's poem Cargoes over the introductions to Ray Steadman-Allen's Seascapes, but that's unofficial.

I'm sure there are plenty more but it's late now and I can't bring them to mind.

Good luck!
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. The ones that come to mind

Zulu- Battle of Rorke Drift
    Battle of Trafalgar
    Barbarian Horde

Sure there are loads more though...
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Couple of Salvation Army ones:

William Himes: Jericho Revisited
    Robert Redhead: Deus Vobiscum
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

An American Tale - Dan Price
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Howard Snell - Images of The Millenium
  8. James Yelland

There is also:

• Lincoln Portrait (Copland arr. someone or other)
    • The Royal Game (Philip Harper)

Both of these pieces have been recorded but the narrations leave something to be desired. The phoney American accent in the former (Sellers International Band) gets worse as the piece progresses. And the person who narrates The Royal Game (Leyland Band), who as far as I can see from the sleeve notes has wisely decided to remain anonymous, sounds like he was rejected for the Cillit Bang advert on the grounds of excessive enthusiasm.
  9. The King With the Terrible Temper - Edrich Siebert

(I seem to remember this is more of a comedy item than a serious piece of music)
  10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

The Canadian Staff recording of "Logos" (R.S.-A.) had some narration - don't know whether it was official and made it into the published version ... ?
  11. Blades4Ever

Blades4Ever Member

Joseph Horovitz : The Dong with a Luminous Nose
  12. startingsop

startingsop New Member

13. hopeless

hopeless New Member

Kirklees Music have one....
    This is Your Band, Gordon Higginbottom .
    An introduction to the Brass Band, each section being introduced and featured in turn, joining together at the end. The title is adjustable as your bands name is substituted for the word YOUR.
  14. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Dong? are you sure?
  15. James Yelland

What are you querying? The word, or whether the piece includes narration? The word is correct, the title being taken from the poem of the same name by Edward Lear, written in an age when 'dong' was just a nonsense word and nothing more. I don't think Horovitz's piece has a part for narrator though, although, like Seascapes above, there's no reason why you couldn't insert relevant lines from the poem into the score.
  16. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Any piece of music with "Dong" in the title gets my vote !!!
  17. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

The Edward Watson arrangement of the Henry V music is fantastic. The narration moved me almost to tears during a performance at college, but then I was attempting to play baritone at the time...

I suppose 'unofficial' narration could be easily provided for any piece of music; just give the conductor a lapel mic and you get a ready-made sing-along/commentary/grumble track :)
  18. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

That always goes down well.
  19. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Years ago we did Ladaute Dominum with the Martin Luther King speach being narrated over the top of it, went down quite well.
  20. Backrowdiva

Backrowdiva Member

Is this a brass band version of young persons guide to the orchestra? Or Bill Baileys guide to the orchestra?