Band of the Grenadier Guards Concert Tour

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Jasonp, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

A National Tour by the Band of the Grenadier Guards

The Band of the Grenadier Guards, one of Britain’s top military bands, will be conducting a tour of England between 16th - 30th August to raise funds for their fallen and injured comrades. After its last tour of duty in Afghanistan, the Regiment suffered five mortalities and over thirty seriously wounded, casualty figures not seen since the Second World War.

As the musical arm of England’s oldest regiment, the Band of the Grenadier Guards is usually to be found on parade at state occasions like Trooping the Colour and state visits of overseas presidents as well as the daily Guard Mounting ceremonies at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.

The Band’s world famous repertoire, heard at this year’s FA Cup Final, will now be heard live in concert halls and Cathedrals across the country with a programme that will included Paul Lovatt-Cooper’s ‘Where Eagles Sing’, Philip Wilby’s ‘Paganini Variations’ and a brand new work by the bands associate composer, Nigel Clarke, called ‘Fields of Remembrance’. Completed in May 2008, ‘Fields of Remembrance’ is Nigel’s first composition for the band and was specially written for the forthcoming tour. The work takes the form of a portrait overture and is based on one of the regimental slow marches of the Grenadier Guards, or ‘Grenadiers’ Return’, as it has come to be known. This piece is traditionally played whenever Grenadier soldiers return to barracks after duty.

The money raised will go to The Colonel’s Fund, which was set up under the auspices of HRH The Prince Philip, who is Colonel of the Regiment. In his words, the fund is “A practical regimental family response to the severe stresses and to the sad toll of lives and serious injuries experienced by the Regiment in recent operations”.

Director of Music, Major Barry Wassell, said: “This is a really important event for us. First, we are thrilled by the opportunity to perform throughout the nation. Second, as Grenadier musicians, we are part and parcel of the Grenadier military family. Money raised from the concert will go to our brothers in arms.”

The band will be playing at the following venues;

Leas Cliff Hall, Folkestone

Saturday 16th August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 0844 847 1776 for ticket information

Bristol Cathedral

By kind permission of the Dean and Chapter

Sunday 17th August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 0117 927 6536 for ticket information

Walsall Town Hall

Wednesday 20th August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 0845 111 2900 for ticket information

Derby Cathedral

Thursday 21st August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 01332 341 201 Ext.41 for ticket information

The Stockport Plaza, Cheshire

Friday 22nd August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 0161 477 7779 for ticket information

The Royal Hall, Harrogate

Saturday 23rd August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 0845 130 8840 for ticket information

Sheffield Cathedral

Sunday 24th August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 0114 256 5656 for ticket information

Southwell Minster, Nottinghamshire

Tuesday 26th August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 01636 812 933 for ticket information

Willows Arts Centre, Corby

Wednesday 27th August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 01536 402 233 for ticket information

Cheltenham Town Hall

Thursday 28th August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 01242 227 979 for ticket information

Malvern Theatres, Worcestershire

Friday 29th August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 01684 892 277 for ticket information

Guildford Cathedral

Saturday 30th August 2008, 7:30pm

Contact 01483 547 870 for ticket information

A complete list of dates and venues can also be found at www.thecolonelsfund.com along with details of how to buy tickets.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    CENTER
    FONT=Garamond
  3. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Just to clear up a few questions, the concert published on the website www.thecolonelsfund.com at Beaulieu Palace Lawns has unfortunatley been canceled.

4. bonodog

bonodog New Member

I was keen to attend this concert and take my son, particularly as it was for charity. The ticket prices were as I would have expected. However it was unfortunate that the sale of such was handled by ticketmaster with a £3 per ticket booking fee and a £3 per booking box office fee adding £9 to my two tickets (an increase of 31%!)

Needless to say I didn't go!

5. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Well worth it though!! Fantastic concert. :clap:

6. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Unfortunatley the ticket sales have nothing to do with the band and I'm very sorry you decided not to come along. However, I have been informed that tickets can be purchased at the door of the concerts, or you can buy them directly from the respective Grenadier Guards association branch which would mean there will be no booking fees.

The tour is going very well, with the Colonels Fund expanding each day. We continue today with our next concert at Derby Cathedral.

www.thecolonelsfund.com

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

So far so good with the tour - excellent crowds so far. Very good concert last night in Walsall. Limited tickets are still available for most of the venues. If you're very lucky you might even get to see myself and Jasonp performing post horn gallop - that's worth the entrance fee alone!!! :-D

8. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Steady on Gaz, we don't want to scare the punters away!!! ;)

Another great concert last night at Derby Cathedral, a full house and a lot of money taken for the Colonels Fund. We move on to the Stockport Plaza tonight for hopfully, more of the same.

www.thecolonelsfund.com

9. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

It probably was too! Very impressive:clap:
    I went to the concert in Stockport on Friday 22nd, awesome stuff!
    Excellent programme, fantastic band sound and super soloists what more can I say.:tup

Hope the rest of the tour goes well, keep up the brilliant work

10. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Thank you very much - glad you enjoyed the concert. :tup

11. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Thanks very much Louise, glad you enjoyed.

The first week has passed successfully with concerts at the Stockport Plaza, The Royal Hall Harrogate (why don't they use the Royal Hall for the lower section finals???? It's awsome!!!) and Sheffield Cathedral.
    Not the best turnouts so far but great to see some brass band musicians in the audience from Middleton band, Hoover Bolton band, Fodens band, Poynton British Legion band, Harrogate band and even a couple from a band in Melbourne Australia.

We're now moving into the second week, refreshed after a day off in the wonderful city of York with a concert tonight at Southwell Minster Nottinghamshire, and I hope to see more tmpers in the week ahead.

www.thecolonelsfund.com

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    CENTER
    FONT=Garamond
  13. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Fantastic turnout at Southwell Minster last night, it was bursting at the seems. A great job done by the association and thanks also to the Rolls Royce Derby Band for their support in a recent concert at the Minster in aid of the fund.

Ticket sales not looking so good for tonight in Corby, so tell your friends to get over to the concert tonight to help us support the Colonel's Fund.

www.thecolonelsfund.com

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  14. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

We're now moving into the last few days of the tour which will take us to Cheltenham Town Hall, the Malvern Theatre and Guildford Cathedral.
    All three venues ticket sales have gone very well so if you want to attend check with the box office first to make sure you can get a ticket.

15. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Just two more concerts to go now - it's been a long slog and lots of hard work but it has been well worth it and lots of money has been raised so far for a very good cause and alot of people have had a good evening's entertainment along the way.

So if you are free tonight or tomorrow get along to one of the concerts at Malvern or Guildford - you won't be disappointed!

16. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

All over at last and a great success with a fantastic performance at our last venue in Guildford Cathedral.

It was also great to see musicians from the Friary Guildford Band, Staines Brass, Sandhurst Silver and Yewsley & West Drayton Band at the concert, and thanks to all that attended throughout the two weeks for your support.

I hope we can do something similar in the near future. If you would like to make a donation to the Colonel's Fund then please visit www.thecolonelsfund.com

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear everything went well - saw Anthony tonight, and he said his lip was shot and he was looking forward to an evening off ;)

18. Nikki T

Nikki T Member

The whole band sounded as though they had tired lips at Malvern on Friday but it didn't seem to stop them completely drowning Rhos Orpheus in the joint item : Mansions of the Lord.
    A wonderful piece, with words to entirely suit the fundraising efforts of the band but destroyed by some over enthusiastic brass playing.
    That aside - a superb concert and I hope they have raised lots and lots of money for the Colonels Fund.