Band of The Coldstream Guards

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by sizeiseverything, Oct 11, 2007.

1. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    London
    string musicians
    elite group of musicians
    vacancies
  2. musicmaker

musicmaker Member

Can people be sure they will come to your band and stay? are you not part of The Corps of Army Music and therefore be moved around any Army band?

3. Good question, thanks.
    There is a new policy in place which means we can now recruit specifically for our own band as well as for the Corps of Army Music.

4. Bones

Bones Member

Paul,

If you're willing to take on a 35 soon to be 36 year old trombonist, with terrible eyesight, I'd be there like a shot.

See you in London, maybe you can persuade me to take the Queen's shilling then.

Cheers

Rich

5. Further to this particular quote I can inform everyone that the new committed recruit policy is in force.

This means that subject to vacancy (at the time of audition) a potential recruit can be committed to the band that he or she wishes to join. In order to achieve this a "Committed Recruit Leaflet" will be issued by the Bandmaster / Director of Music. (The leaflet is only given to those musicians deemed suitable for a post in the band)

This leaflet when presented guarantees two things.

1. The holder of the leaflet WILL be posted to the band specified for a minimum 3 year contract period.

2. The vacancy WILL NOT be filled by somebody else while the original leaflet holder is undergoing training.

This represents a double edged sword for us in the British Army Bands simply because it can take some time to guide musicians through the system from initial interest up to and including arrival as a musician in the band itself. It does mark a substantial benefit in our ability to hire top class musicians and guarantee them the musical satisfaction that they seek.

Please feel free to contact me direct via the Coldstream Guards Band Website for any opportunity to discuss the issue more or arrange a visit to the band itself

6. David Mann

David Mann Member

No Iraq or Afghanistan then? 2 out of the 3 people I know who joined up as musicians ended up in a war zone (1 Falklands, the other Gulf war 1)

7. Bones

Bones Member

Let's not forget that first and foremost you join the Army. Therefore you do things the Army expect you to do. However what you do get with joining the Band is thae opportunities arising from it like tours etc. It would be a naive person that went into the Army in any capacity and didn't expect to be posted somewhere during their service.

SO with the original post in mind, the opportunity to join a Band like this would be a great experience in my humble experience. Having shared a stage with these guys and haveing a few mates in the Band, well if circumstances were different I'd seriously consider it. Especially as you can pick the Band you want.

Rich

8. David Mann

David Mann Member

My point exactly.

9. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

What Point

Let's not forget that first and foremost you join the Army. Therefore you do things the Army expect you to do.
    My point exactly.

What point David?

Louise

10. David Mann

David Mann Member

Firstly, may I say that I fully support our forces and am a great fan of military bands. I was privileged to meet /play with Guards bands when I was in the West Midlands Fire Band. My point was that the post only mentioned the wonderful musical opportunities, whereas the Corps of Army Music site mentions "As soldiers, the Corps of Army Music personnel have a role in support of the Army Medical Services and general duties. They are fully trained to undertake these additional duties as and when the need arises".
    Just a question of balance, and I hope the band are successful in their recruitment.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  11. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    London
    string musicians
    elite group of musicians
    vacancies
  12. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

HI
    Many thanks for clarifying
    I am a former army musician having served some 15 years and have to say that on the whole the army does offer up some great opportunities as does the corps of army music as a whole.
    We accept when we join that we may be involved in other roles as does the dentist, the engineer, the rifleman and the military policeman but perhaps we are fortunate in that, although we train for our secondary role, on many occasions, bands have been spared major tours of conflicts in order for musical support to take place.
    The falkland islands is an unsual one where a large amount of manpower was needed and as at the time bandsmen were quite simply stretcher bearers, they performed a very basic function in support of infantry and medical services.
    However, in Gulf 1, medical support on a large scale was required and this was where the new medical role of musicians trained to a professional standard by the army medical services was put into action. To great effect may I add.
    What I am trying to explain is that all bands take the rough with the smooth. All musicians and indeed soldiers know when they take the oath of allegiance at the careers office that we are are soldiers first and tradesmen second. Thats the career choice.
    So, in defence of this advertisement, I cant see what is so wrong in advertising wonderful musical opportunities because there really are these chances.Anything over and above this is just, in my opinion, part of the job but I would heartily recommend a career in the british army as a musician.

Louise

13. David Mann

David Mann Member

Fair enough.

14. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Very well said Louise :tup
    I've served in army music for 20 years now and have never been deployed, I guess I've been lucky. I've travelled all over the globe, met loads of people and never had to kill any of them ;)
    It's a great job and I'd recommend anyone to at least visit a band to see how we work, you may be surprised!
    So, if you are interested contact Paul or the Coldstream Guards Bandmaster, I know you'll be very well looked after, however be aware that the Coldstream Guards Band are only the second best band in the army, the number one band is of course the Grenadier Guards Band ;)

15. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

That's not quite right - I served from 74-79, just short of the Falklands, and we were all trained as class 3 Medics - as an example, I was part of exercise Lionheart in the early 80's which called up the reservists for the first time and spent 10 days working in a field hospital alongside a heck of a lot of other ex bandsmen. My course at Keogh barracks with the medics would have been around 1975.

What you do need to remember is there is a vast difference between being in one of the Guards bands and being in a regimental band - the touring opportunities are much better than we ever had in the Para bands!

Speaking of which, I am available for the New York tour if you can take temp members over the age of 50 ;)

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

What, not even string players?

17. Thankyou Mr Pickin - you have successfully demonstrated the high level of top quality and healthy rivalry that goes on between The Coldstream Band (Actually the top band in the Army) and the rest of the Household Division (very very close on our tails).

I am not here to argue who is actually the best of course - it takes away from the point of posting on this site.

For many years we the bands have been tarred with the "Soldiers first" tag and from time to time over the last century there have been moments where the bands have had to go and do what we laughably call "The Green Stuff"

Be aware that I do not pull punches when discussing this aspect of our employment but I can let you know that when we have to do the Soldier thing we are generally placed as far away from any danger as possible. For example - The Coldstream Guards were NOT sent to Iraq in the last five years as it was considered "Too Dangerous".

The most important message is - Come and see for yourself. We would be happy to explain fully how everything works.

18. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

To Andy

Hiya Andy

Apologies to you and I am happy to be proved wrong on this.Thanks for pointing it out. It is no doubt the people who wear green full time who used their propaganda to convince us all that our roles were equally as important when actually they were just trying to prevent us from afternoons off, hong kong and cyprus tours oh and of course, cat 4 jobs ;-)

Take care

Louise

19. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Hear hear!! ;)

20. Please - Let us not get bogged down with rivalry - We are all very good!

But to those who might be interested as to why we are so protective of our reputations - please come and see for yourselves

21. Louise,

Interesting post! As I said, I do not pull punches on this particular subject. I sport 5 medals and my Director has 8. I would be a foolish liar to suggest that we never do this sort of thing - As I said though, we try very hard to steer fairly well clear of it when possible.

Best regards

Greg