Band of Brothers: Friary Guildford Appoints Principal Euphonium

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by lauren, Jun 29, 2010.

1. lauren

lauren Member

Friary Guildford Band are delighted to announce the appointment of Chris Straker to the principal euphonium seat.

Chris, who has played on a temporary basis with Friary Guildford before, joins following two and a half years playing baritone with reigning World, European and British Open champions, Cory Band. He studied music at Cardiff University, where he was tutored by euphonium virtuoso David Childs, and played for Mid Rhondda and BTM Bands before joining Cory. Prior to university, Chris was a member of the Hampshire County Youth Band and principal cornet of the North East Hampshire Area Schools Band, before switching to euphonium in 2004.

"‘It was a huge privilege to play for Cory during such a successful period in their long and distinguished history and also their 125th anniversary year in 2009," said Chris. "However, I am equally thrilled to move back to Friary Guildford at a time when they have earned promotion to the Championship Section and qualified for the National Finals."

Chris’ elder brother Richard is Friary’s principal cornet player. "It will seem strange at first seeing Richard playing opposite me," added Chris, "But it’ll be good to know he’ll be keeping a brotherly eye on me!"

Friary Guildford Band have a busy programme of concerts and events over the coming months. You can hear us at College Garden, Westminster Abbey (7th July); Gostrey Meadow, Farnham (18th July); and St James’s Park, London (25th July). Visit our website for further details.
  2. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

"equally thrilled"? really?

i'd personally be much more excited about donning that famous white jacket for hove contest.
  3. lauren

lauren Member

Don't worry he's used to donning white jackets as Cory use them too sometimes!
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010