Band Newsletters

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MrsDoyle, Aug 14, 2009.

1. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I've recently took it upon myself to become the editor of the new band newsletter.I was just wondering, what do you include in your newsletters? I've asked a special guest columnist to write a short piece for us, and I've added all the latest news, but I've been left with a gap of 3/4 of a page....any ideas?
  2. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

everything I need to know of any importance is told is to me at rehearsal!! :)
  3. MrsDoyle

yes.... but this is for our supporters too...
  4. StellaJohnson

ar fair point, good luck with it!
  5. StellaJohnson

Ok, if it includes supporters then:
    info on up and coming engagements
    committee info
    player profiles??
    general band talk
    thats something to be going on with
  6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Use a larger font....
  7. MrsDoyle

I'm using size 24 Myriad Pro for the titles and size 12 Minion Pro for the main body text, but it's too big if I do it any bigger....
  8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

1- Smaller font - save a tree!
    2- Bigger font -buqqer the trees!
    3- A photograph
    4- A guillotine
  9. MrsDoyle

I'll use the options 2 and 3... I'm using InDesign which is tricky as well...Guillotine wouldn't work - I'm doing a Duplex.
  10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

You could insert some train numbers or maybe some nice pictures of stamps

And don't dismiss the guillotine to quickly - it may come in handy
  11. MrsDoyle

I must admit I am a bit of a philatelist...I really do need to do 2 sides so need more information \ anecdotes \ fun little snippets if possible
  12. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Is it monthly? Or weekly?

Either way, why don't you do a profile of a different player from the band with each edition?

One band website I know does this - features a different player every month. I realise eventually (in about 2.5 years if it's monthly) you'll run out of players (although if you have a quick player turnover you may be able to keep going for ever!), but in that time you should be able to come up with something else to fill 3/4 of a page!
  13. MrsDoyle

It's when we've got enough news to put in it :oops:
    Good idea with the different profiles... that is one to try... thanks Jess :tup
  14. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

You're welcome.

I feel inspired to start a Camborne Town Band newsletter now...........
  15. toptutti

toptutti Member

Humour. Got to have some humour in it
  16. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

I write our Patrons' Newsletter. This includes things such as:

- player questionnaire
    - recent news, both concerts and contests
    - history (we have a couple of books about the band history, these are bits taken from there)
    - I got one of the players to write an article about their instrument and its history
    - lots of pictures
    - what are all the instruments in the band, and what's the layout
    - what happens on contest day
    - upcoming events

17. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

I have done our monthly newsletter for the last four years or so which is basically for internal consumption - the idea is that, as we have a young band, if things announced at rehearsal are written down and taken home there is a faint hope that parents may actually get to know what is going on! It also means that we can nag about appearance, attendance etc in a relatively non-threatening and humorous manner and wish people happy birthday etc. By and large I don't use pictures for this, partly because of stinginess and partly because I usually have problems limiting it to two sides of A4!

I have just volunteered to do a quarterly newsletter for "patrons" so I'm busy making a note of ideas!! I like the idea of an introduction to the instruments of the band, and of explaining contesting (is this possible???)