Band Name Change...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by basspower, Aug 26, 2005.

1. basspower

basspower Member

I bet with a musicfriend that the BNFL had change the Name to Leyland Band?

It that correct? or I have lost the bet?

Did some other band like Black Dyke, Grimethorpe,.. changend the name "completly" (means not put Mills or UK Coal put away,..)

Whats about the Britanna and Fodens? (the same or 2 diffrent bands?)
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Many bands have changed their names over the years, particularly as sponsorship has come and go. Originally formed as the Leyland Motors band, the Leyland Band was known as BNFL for several years, and following that as the JJB Sport Leyland Band.

Equally, you are correct in that the Fodens was sponsored by the Britannia Building Society, changing their name accordingly.

For more information on name changes etc, go to
    Under "Reference" look for "History of brass bands" and click on "Brass bands Genealogies".
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

After losing their sponsorship from JJB Sports, Leyland are now called the Leyland Band.

After losing their sponsorship from Brittania Building Society, this band reverted to its old name of Fodens, then became the Fodens Courtois Band, and are now called the Fodens Richardsons Band.

Black Dyke dropped the word "Mills" from their title a few years ago, following their separation from John Fosters & Sons (the name of the firm was also incorporated in their title for a while) and are now simply known as the Black Dyke Band.

Grimethorpe are still known as Grimethorpe Colliery UK Coal Band.

Hammonds' Sauce Works Band was transformed into the Yorkshire Building Society Band, and is now known as the YBS Band.

Other famous bands to undergo a change of identity recently are the Ever Ready Band, now the Reg Vardy Band, and the Cory Band, now called the Buy as You View Band.

As Peter says, it is all down to changes in sponsorship.
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

One of my personal favourites is Travelsphere who were GUS footware and Rigid Containers before :D
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

[boc]...and before GUS were called Munn and Feltons.....[/boc] :D
  6. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Before or after they were Grimethorpe Colliery RJB Band (looking at the CD sleeve? ;))
  7. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

After :-

Richard Budge, Director of RJB Minig, sponsored Grimethorpe (I am led to understand). When he sold the company to UK Coal, they took over sponsorship of Grimethorpe. Richard Budge then bought Hatfield Colliery, becoming Hatfield Coalpower, hence our previous name, Hatfield Coalpower Band. Richard Budge is a great supporter of Brass Bands. Unfortunately, as the project at Hatfield pit hit problems so did the support for Hatfield Band.