Band Mergers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nanny Ogg, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Rightio folks....Before you comment on this thread, put aside your natural reaction of "no bands shouldn't merger" or "a band shouldn't take another one over" or "bands shouldn't close". THANKS

In these hard times economical, and the difficulty in recruiting players and trying to get youngsters to play. Bands may need to consider merging with other bands in the same locality.

So my fellow TMPers how would you resolve the issues that will come out of this. Such as which conductor, who sits on the solo seats? Where should rehearshals be held? Which instruments, etc?

Even more contentious should the lower section bands be just feeder bands for their championship neighbours. This is already happening in football. Crewe is a feeder club for Liverpool (hmm and have you seen how Crewe are doing :rolleyes:)

Good to hear your thoughts on this one.​

2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Having never been in a band faced with merger I wouldn't know how to go about it but I am guessing there will be some upsets...

For positions, I suppose you could audition people? Say, a week each on the top part and play some test pieces. Or you could even let them decide between themselves and see who they pick?

I would expect some handbags at dawn mind...

3. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

There could be a case for offering the 'better' players a place in the merged band, and maybe starting a 'b' band with everyone else....giving those who are 'struggling' a bit, a chance to try and improve themselves over time....

4. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

In my local area, Chapel en le frith and Whaley Bridge Band merged to become High Peak Brass band a few years ago. For whatever reason it did't work out and they went there separate ways.

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Some mergers are spectacularly successful. Kingdom Brass in Fife were formed from a merger of Cowdenbeath and Kelty bands and they have become one of the best and most progressive bands in Scotland.

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

That would only work if the pushy players were also the best ones - which is very often not the case...

7. hicks

hicks Member

I often think a merger would be sensible in my area, as there are 3 or 4 bands all struggling to find players. If they all got together, there could be one seriously good band around here. On second thoughts though, I might be out of a job!
    The idea has been suggested, but I don't think it got a very good reception. The politics of it would be difficult.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  8. Di B

Di B Member

Mergers can work but lots of different factors need to be considered and it grou always a good idea.
    If the bands have different objectives it just wont work!

I think the better mergers are the ones where a band on its last legs joins up the remains with a stronger band with gaps or where bands merge under a new name with new policies/committees and the members treat it as a new band. Most problems stem from how the bands were run in the past compared to now. Having the brand new band attitude can help stop this.

I know Charnwood is an amalgamation of bands (leics coop, snibston, charnwood (which also included loughborough band)) and their MD is on here so maybe he could provide an insight to the benefits and pitfalls of merging?

9. on_castors

on_castors Member

Was in a merger back in the early 80s - 4th section and a nominally 2nd Section band joined, merged, blended & sort of faded away!

As I remember the more numerically struggling band was the higher ranked one, which was why the band continued as a 4th section band, but the few higher standard players (and they WERE better!) soon got bored with the arrangement, (despite a lot of effort put in by the MD who came with the higher ranked band) drifted away and the resultant band struggled as before until it became nothing more of a hobby band for a few old timers and those wanting a blow of a Wednesday night!

As the band gained nothing financially from the higher ranked band (all the instruments & gear were owned by the sponsor!), at the end of the day, what sounded like a great opportunity ended up being a waste of effort, and it was soon as if the merger had never happened!

I suppose it did something for me - it made me realise I could play along with higher ranked players and hold my own, which I did later, (although that might have been better if it had come earlier) but it was a total failure in other ways.