Band Managers?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by dyl, Feb 6, 2003.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

Just being curious..does your Band have a 'Band Manager'?

If so, what are their main jobs.
  2. picju96

picju96 Member

Yup, although he's having a bit of a whinge at the moment. He basically is in charge of getting everyone to a gig with everything they need. He sorts out the transportation of percussion, and band jackets. He gives out the 9 o clock notices in band, gives apologies for each rehearsal, and basically works with the MD to make sure the band runs smoothly. He's supposed to go to committee meetings.

3. Sarahjo

Sarahjo New Member

Isn't Band Manager a posh name for Bandmaster or Sergent?? I have this resonsiblity in the band I play for, ie Getting people to places on time and reading out notices etc!! Just a fancy title if you ask me! :D :)

Me I'm just known as the band sergent.
  4. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

We have a band manager. He is ultimately responsible for keeping the band running.
    He books our Professional Conductors for all the major contests and agrees the Fees\Contracts with them.
    He is also resonsible for booking in any Deps we need for concerts\contests. Plus Organising Coach travel and hotel accomodation when needed. He does the dreaded draw as well.

He looks after the books and is responsible for ensuring the Mortgage for the bandroom is paid.
    He takes all concert bookings and agrees the fees.
    once at a concert he will sell all the band mechandise and generally be a point of contact to the paying public who have questions about the band.

Basically what a commitee and a secretary would do in another band it is down to the band manager for us.
    And he does a Great Job keep it up Les.

We too have a Band Sgt. It is their responsibility to ensure smooth running at a concert/contest. Set up the stage and see that everyone has the right kit they look smart and go on in the correct order.
    So band manager for us is not really just a fancy title for the bandmaster ( who i always assumed meant resident conductor ) or band Sgt. He is basically the Committe rolled into one.

Ours has done it for 10 years now and still finds time to play Sop for us.
  5. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

Gareth, he is big headed enough without all this praise. :wink:

When you see him tell him I was better, he'll know what your mean. Good luck at the areas and I'll see you in the bar!! 8)
  6. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Does that mean I have to retract those statments alan i dont want to create a monster in the shape of a big headed les. ( ooo the thought of it "Shudder")
    Will pass on the message but will he give me a slap?

And definately see you in the bar will need a stiff drink after prague "Shudder"
  7. Di B

Di B Member

We also have a band manager. His job is a varied one! He gives out apologies at rehearsals and ensures we have a full band on jobs by organising deps. He will also actively look and (hopefully!) recruit new players too. He also sorts out any problems that the band has and tries to ensure that people in the band are generally happy. Oh, and he kicks our MD once in a while (but I want to do that part of the job! lol!)

In addition we have a Band Master who is responsible for the behaviour of the band on engagements amongst other things (Jeff... what else?!!!)

Our secretary books concerts and does the draw at contests, and our treasurer collects the dosh.

All fees are agreed at committee meetings along with anything else that needs to be addressed. We also have band meetings every quarter so the band can find out about the committee are doing and give feedback if needed.

I think overall we try to split all the responsibilities so no one person is bogged down too much... well, in theory anyway!

Di xx
  8. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

hear hear di, cant have 1 person doing everything, it just doesnt work!
  9. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Our band manager has done the job for over 10 years. On his tod. He has managed to keep the band fiancially aflaot after loosing a sponsorship deal that provided us with a bandroom uniforms and instruments.

We had a dodgy spell for a couple of years but now we have a full set of instruments ( lottery grant) a new bandroom thanks to a mortgage setup for the band. We are back a the top of our areas rankings climbing the national rankings an the 4barsrest one. Back in the open ad back at the masters. due to him going out and getting the right MD's and players.

Im not in anyway saying that its down to the one man. Our band manager. But i think we would have made much less progress if it was left to a commitee with 8 or 10 opinions and the usual bickering and infighting that goes with it. one man one opinion and jobs get done faster.

Just my opinion mind. Not Gospel

10. HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter Member

Engagements, yes, but I can't be held responsible for the behaviour of the band at any other time!! In our band, the Band Master is also a sort of 'assistant conductor' so I wag the stick at rehearsals or engagements when the Big Man himself is not available.
  11. Di B

Di B Member

Oh! I thought you were Assistant MD as well as Band Master! And either you or Kev wagging your sticks at rehearsal.... well, it put me off me dinner! :oops: :oops:
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

Were not posh at all - we have a Band-master!!! All he does is macke sure we look presentable and that we SHUT UP! :p:p:p