Band Managers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by welshraz, Mar 11, 2006.

1. welshraz

welshraz Member

Ok, as you can see from my sig down there, I am the band manager for Pontypool Brass, but what I want to know is....is there really any point in having a band manager? This may have been discussed before, so if it has, please point me in the right direction!

2. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Depends on what they do!

3. welshraz

welshraz Member

Well, when we had our old secretary, I didn't do much at all. I guess it was my job to nudge peope into coming to band and tell 'em off for not being there. Since the new guy stepped in I organise rehearsals, the bus, jackets, tea and things, parties and social things and still do the nudging and telling off, which is great. But the problem is, if I think I am doing something good for the band, like changing the time of a rehearsal to fit in with player and conductor needs, and he doesn't like it, then my idea is toast! The point I am making is: Why have a band manager if the secretary can do the job? And before you all bag me for putting too much on the secretary, I know how hard they work, but thats why we have a committe of several members - to share duties. Am I making sense? Not sure that I am......

4. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Totally!

This is why I returned to being a playing member only. Much more pleasurable, no stress!

5. welshraz

welshraz Member

Yeah, I have been thinking about it, but I hat to let the band down as no one else will do it! I enjoy being band manager but I feel that my job is obsoleate because the secretary always wants to second guess me.

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Raz

I guess it all depends on your version of the R&R's of the "Band Manager" position and then of course, on how effectively your band organisation support the puttinginto effect of this role. if you have a set of R&R's for it, but the organisation of the band is such that it is not supported - then there's no real point in having the role in the first place.

If you have the support of an effective and switched on band management team (I hate using the word committee), then you ought to perhaps start by identifying what the exact responsibility of this role is. What does this person need to do etc, and then draw up a role description that clearly articulates that role. Communicate this to everyone, or at the very least, make it available to all in the band, and then put it into effect.

As a starter, I'd suggest these are some of the responsibilities of a band manager;

Ensuring members are aware of rehearsal times
    Ensuring members are aware of conditions and rules that are in place during rehearsal
    Ensuring best possible attendance at rehearsals, and being in receipt of information and reasons why someone may not be in attendance, then informing the MD of this if they find out prior to a rehearsal.
    Providing a platform when all are present to make any announcements that are required
    Ensuring all band instruments, kit, percussion gear etc is scheduled and arranged to be delivered to any gigs/concerts/contests
    Ensuring everyone is aware of the times of events, concerts etc and when they should be present.

There's many more of course, but there's a starter for you.

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Then maybe the secretary's role needs to be clearly defined. You both need your areas of responsibility and let the other get on with it. For the record, I would see the band manager's job as making sure the Band turn up at the right time and in the right place, propertly attired, and with all the equipment they need (stands, banners etc). Not necessarily to bring all the equipment, just to make sure it gets there. Maybe this could include the booking of deps etc......

The secretary's role is (I think) more administrative. Booking rehearsal venues, corresponding with clients, taking and distributing minutes of committee meetings etc.

8. chizzum

chizzum Member

For champoinship bands i think they are helpful but otherwise the conductor and the players can handle it together!

9. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I hope I can help with this one. I was basically thrown into the role of band manager because no-one else wanted to do it.

My roles are:
    Booking concert venues for our concerts (in NZ bands put on nearly all of their own concerts)
    Looking after personnell issues i.e. enticing new players, making sure existing players turn up, booking deps for concerts, booking soloists for concerts.
    Booking concerts for our European tour in September
    Concert promotion, taking flyers and posters to the concert venues
    Band spokesperson, informing the band by phone and email about changes to rehearsals
    Preparing quotes for grant applications
    Solving problems well in advance
    Meeting possible sponsors
    Sending press releases to media and trying to get free publicity for our concerts
    Liasing with our ticket promoter to find out how many have been sold and to pick up left over tickets for door sales.
    Sending blurbs and graphics to our ticket promoter
    At the mo' I also run the bands website www.waitakerebrass.com

Our secretary at Waitakere is a saint. She does all the correspondence, looks after the patrons and friends society, sorts out contest admin and prepares our committee meetings. We liase constantly to make sure we have looked after all necesseties.

It's a hard slog but at least you know that everything gets done.

10. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

The City of Brumshire has Auntie Barbara as Band Secretary - anyone who has ever met here will know we have no need for a Band Manager - or another Bb Bass for that matter!

It seems that her Job description would be:

Everything. :-D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    band manager
    direction
    Band Managers
    sig
    point
  12. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

If every band had a Barbara the world would be a happier (and much better organised) place!!

Seriously though Raz, there isn't an easy answer to your question because every band has slightly different roles and division of duties. In my experience the best way is to agree 'job descriptions' for each role as a band/management team. That way everyone knows who's responsible for what and its generally a lot easier to both support each other and avoid stepping on each other's toes.

The other thing of course, is to have a quiet word with the individual concerned and find a nice way to say back off!

13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I used to be Band Manager, but a long with P.R.O job it ws a bit difficult to do when it came to concerts.
    So our old band band manager DANGEROUS DAVE as taken back over.
    Organises band for concerts &contests etc.
    No one argues with DANGEROUS

14. welshraz

welshraz Member

Thanks guys for all your help. I would like to think that I gained a small "victory" over the secretary today by asserting my position and letting him know that organising rehearsals is my job. I do think we need to have some clarification about our roles, which is something we have never had before.

15. TheMusicMan

It is imperative Raz that you do this... ask Jonathan, he'll tell you that effective organisation and management is essential in the development of any progressive band; and it sounds to me that PontyPool are experiencing a belated but extremely welcome resurgance. Good luck to you all there, send my best to Adrian.:clap:

16. welshraz

welshraz Member

Thanks John, and I will do!

17. TheMusicMan

You're welcome...

PS: were you on Sop when I came up and helped you out conducting a park job a year or so ago...?

18. welshraz

welshraz Member

*Thinks hard*.......It wasn't me, as it was just before I returned to the band after uni. You may remenber me from the time I played sop with Cwmbran band around about 95/96.

19. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Post Edit: Just re read your post, this time correctly, sorry, I misinterpreted what you were saying!

I have to disagree. In my experience (3rd section to championship section) the higher up you go the more you need an effective committee, hopefully one who works together! There is a different kind of pressure between bands in the lower section and bands in the higher section. An effective, working committee, is essential to ensure the smooth running of any band. And as far as the conductor is concerned, yes, he/she has a valuable part to play, but the running of the band, should, in the first instance, be the responsibility of the 'elected' committee, each who have their own responsibilities. A band manager, can be effective, if they do the job right, ie, manage the band!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006