Band Instruments

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Spanky Rear, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Does your Band provide instruments? If so why and on what basis?
    Spanky

2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Well, in our "existing" constitution, we are to promote education and the arts. Now how can we promote education and provide opportunities to learn if the first thing we say is "Go to Brisbane and spend $3000"????

Schools in the area do not have or teach brass band instruments (yet will gladly accept the use of ours when it suits them), so up and coming players only have trumpets, french horns and icky euphos.

What if you have no trombonists, but your eupho player, tuba player and horn player can all play, but do not have instruments???

It's an extra expense to the band, but at least this way we can ensure that sections are playing similar instruments.

3. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Yea ours does, we got a lottery grant about 5 or so years ago now, mostly soverigns were bought I think.

I find it provides an extra incentive to stay with a band, we've had a few players that were going to move to another local band, but didn't in the end because it'd mean they'd have to buy their own instrument!

The problem is that when i go to uni, i'll have to find my own instrument :cry: which is sad cos i like the one im on at the mo! (trying to persuade mum to get me a prestige, need to wash the car a few more times 1st!)

TuTuKu xx

4. paddo

paddo Member

Why! have you got 4 grand to lay out? and the basis is simple.......I play for them!!!!!

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Most of you will remember me starting the thread on French horns in brass bands. Perhaps with Spanky's topic in mind we should start another thread called 'Banned' instruments! ;-) Such as.....

Trumpets (particularly Eb and piccolo trumpets)

Valve trombones

27-valve tubas (rotary of course!)

French horns

Drum machines (well.... I've seen 'em used in wind bands!)

Saxophones ( they USED to have saxes in brass bands! And they are made of brass..... ;-))

Alto trombones

Sackbuts

Didgeridoos

Didgeridont's

Keyed bugles

Natural trumpets

Un-natural trumpets

Positively abnormal trumpets

Slide trumpets

Swing trumpets

Merry-go-round trumpets

Alpenhorn

Co-Op's own brand muesli-horn

Quick, nurse! Some more pills!
    :wink:

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Dave - ring your GP quick! The pills aren't working...... :roll:

Back on topic.....yes we do provide instruments and were lucky enough to get a lottery grant a few years ago so they're all reasonable :D ..if there are any Horn players out there looking for a band....(hint hint!)

7. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Our band provide instruments and lend them out as necessary, unfortunately there is a nominal hire charge of £0.50 per week.

Instruments are of reasonable quality but we are currently looking for a grant to purchase a set of soveriegns.

we live in hope.

8. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Lol have fond memories of my first Northumberland Schools Concert Band residential week with Geordiecolin leading the charge in a pillow fight on the other tuba players back, honking a didgeridoo... was canny cool, clever git can circular breathe I believe :D