Band Injuries

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Belfast Barman, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Just wondered if any of you Tmper's out there have had to do contests or concerts whilst carrying an injury - I don't mean a split lip or anything like that - I remember doing a concert in Denmark with the advanced stages of sunstroke and a march with a broken shoulder (not easy with a bass) - any advance on my injuries?

Andy

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    any
    lip
    anything
    concert
    shoulder
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I did Butlins 2007 with a dead slide hand.

Had been in hospital the day before to get my ears looked at and a student doctor was doing my anaesthetic.

Missed the vein in my hand and pumped the anaesthetising agent into the gap between skin and muscle. My hand became a balloon.

I spent the entire drive there trying to get my thumb and forefinger to touch each other. I just about managed to do it for the rehearsal and spent most of it trying to figure out how to hold my slide in a way that wasn't uncomfortable.

Didn't manage it.

4. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

I did Blackpool Youth Entertainments contest this year with a Broken Wrist, and Buxton contest 2 Weeks after having an operation on my nose (not recommended to any1)

5. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Fractured my 3rd knuckle on my right hand 2 days before a contest after punching a cow on the jaw, (meant to hit its soft nose!) because it was really annoying me in the milking parlour!! Thats my red-headed temper lashing out!!!

Had to use a mixture of alternate fingering and use my left handand for 3rd and 4th valve on my BBb Bass, it was hoora sore!!

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I was carrying the aftermath of a back injury (that eventually turned into a slipped disc) on Wilby's Revelation at the British Open in '95.....considering that I couldn't even get the euph 20 yards from the car to the Bandroom in the week leading up to the contest I was ever so slightly paranoid that walking to the front of the stage in the Free Trade Hall and performing the euph duet in the middle might be asking a bit much :eek:

The muscle spasm let up the night before the contest, though, which was quite lucky.

7. S Carey

S Carey New Member

Cambridge Masters 2006 with a broken leg. Full cast. Red - to match my band uniform. Going up those windy steps to the waiting hall was hell.....

8. Di

Di Active Member

... sort of an injury ... I've played with an incisional hernia which, over 6 months just grew and grew until the docs did actually believe the hernia was a hernia and not "it's just scar tissue" or "it's just a natural post-op clot, it'll go away". I do believe it actually split another inch or so the night of the whits 2005, though not through playing but the literally side splitting laughter. (Anyone there that year in the Pennine Way Hotel with tMP band will remember this night forever! ). :)

Have also played in a concert "full term" plus a day pregnant. There were a few nervous people around me that night. :tongue:

9. tomskibabes

tomskibabes Member

I remember playing solo horn for a local band whilst at Uni back in 1994, they played an area contest which I played left handed after fracturing my 3rd and 4th fingers following a car accident, still have to play left handed when the pain starts, ust be getting old!!!!!!

I also played Sop for my present band at butlins and the area in 2005 whilst being 7 and 9 months pregnant, at least I could exit the stage easy enough but luckily not needed.

Cheers.
    Tomskibabes.

10. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

The last time we did the DLI Picnic in the Park my other half Stan (ChewyTuba) played with a broken hand after falling down. He is now sort of repeating history. He fell off a kerb at the gala yesterday and broke his leg ("I didn't see a kerb" was the excuse). He now has to wear a full length cast for the next 8 weeks. Just in time for next weeks DLI Picnic in the Park contest.

11. MCPC

MCPC New Member

Doesn't exactly count as an 'injury'......

Playing contest on solo cornet 10 days before giving birth- mega hot, dizzy during cornet solos (fortunately I wasn't attempting them!), breathing restricted, couldn't bend to pick up mutes, other half's shirt, socks, couldn't get any shoes on so played shoeless............ band jacket still fitted though!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    any
    lip
    anything
    concert
    shoulder
  13. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

Not sure I can top some of the injuries on here but I am clumsy so I have had a few! Had to do the Remebrance Sunday duties with my arm in a sling once. It is obviously perfectly possible to do the Last Post and Reveille with one arm because it is all open but when it is raining, freezing and the instrument is like a block of ice it is still a challenge!

14. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I marched at Remembrance 1993 6 weeks after having a cesarean section. Not recommended, especially as baby was being breast-fed too and needed a feed round about the same time I was due to play the last post!

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I did the old Leicester contest with severe whiplash after being in a sizeable car accident on the Thursday before. Played with my neck in a brace and it hurt like you wouldn't believe!

16. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Blackpool this year we were drawn last in the Grand Shield, so it meant a lot of hanging around. Me and my mate went back to the hotel to put our stuff away (instruments and music etc)....well the hotel door had a returner on it, and I didn't realise that it was gonna slam straight onto my right hand.

I broke my finger (was confirmed a couple of days later)...my middle finger on my right hand. It was about 2 hours before we were due on stage, and I sat for most of that time with a big bag of ice on it, whilst trying to keep it mobile so I could actually play Vienna Nights lol!

Afterwards, one of our players dad used to work for the Ambulance service, and he had a look and strapped it all up for me. I then went to the bar and got v v v drunk lol! My husband phoned and kept trying to insist that I went to casualty....at which I kept insisting that A&E in Blackpool on a Saturday wasn't the best place for me lol!

We came last though...but I kept saying that we deserved 'bonus points' for me having to play with a broken finger lol!

17. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

When I was about 13 I fractured the bone at the back of my ankle (spiral fracture of the fibula!). I did our band's annual concert with my leg in a hip to toe plaster nicely decorated with the band's logo by my brother, up on a stool! We hired a wheelchair from the Red Cross for the night so I could get round the Civic Hall a bit easier as I wasn't too steady on the crutches!

18. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I had Cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery this year and went to band practice 3 hours after getting out of hospital then did a concert at the weekend. It was really good whilst on crutches having people carry everything for me.

19. flugeldude666

flugeldude666 Member

i know its not really an injury but it needs a mention.
    a dude at kippax contest the other day left his euphonium in his car...not too much of a problem i hear you say, but his keys were also in his car and his car was locked.
    the poor bloke had to smash his own window to get his euph out ... why he didnt ask for someone elses to borrow i dont know

20. millie6589

millie6589 Member

I did Easingwold this year with a broken thumb which made actually holding my instrument damn near impossibe, never mind trying to change the music over on my lyre...

21. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I broke my little finger on my right hand the day before the Area contest this year - not a good idea!!

22. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I have a couple of instances.

I know you said "no split lips" but does playing in a concert with 2 sergical stitches in my lip count

Also

3 days before the areas I broke a bone in my right hand from a karate accident and had to play with my 3rd valve finger and little finger strapped together