Band Hoppers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jockinafrock, Jul 21, 2009.

1. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Interesting to look at tMP player profiles and see which bands folks have played for, but a bit taken aback when some have a list of bands as long as their arm! :eek:

What makes people move?

Boredom/apathy/money/relocation/trouble/personal development/just want something different/unreliable/competitions...? :dunno

Must admit that when I see someone has moved band at least once a year I start to wonder whether they are just 'flying through the ranks' or if there is some other underlying reason for so many moves.

Not being judgemental, just curious.. ;)
  2. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

You have answered your own question. In my experience you can always tell the ones that are passing through. I tend not to recommend them to my band and when they leave i simply shrug my shoulders and say "they weren't for us anyway if they are moving on that quickly" People like this just unsettle the team.
  3. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

it's better to have a team of people who are there week in, week out than a group who come for six months, move to somewhere else, get bored, come back, get bored, move on etc...
  4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

as a 'one band man' (well almost look at my playing experience) I have to put the other side of the arguement, my band need a bass player, we approach, tempt, encourage, persuade player A to come and play for us - should we be surprised if 12 months later another band does the same thing?
  5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

But that's enough about me, what about everyone else! :biggrin:
  6. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Well I play in a non contesting band and a contesting band. Am still trying to find a band I feel settled in as far as the section's concerned. Thought I found one but someone else signed for them while I was in hospital so that's me gone! Once I find a band that I can be proud of and a section Im an equal part of I'll be happy. I've been playing in the same band (the non contesting one) for almost twenty years so Im not exactly a shuffle bum!
  7. toptutti

toptutti Member

Some of us play for more than one local band at one time. If we added all these bands to our list
    I'm registered with the BBBR and can usually contest with my 'guesting' bands under the day transfer rules.

I did have an interesting experience when I last tried to play at the Eisteddfod. I wasn’t registered with a Welsh band and at the last moment I wasn’t allowed on stage. If I’m asked to play again this year I’ll have to transfer then flip back to my own band just in time for the areas
  8. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I see that players often play for a couple of bands ie registered with one but still loyal to another, perhaps home, band; it's those that seem to move each year or in less than a year. If I was an employer and saw this movement on a CV I don't think I'd be sure whether they moved to gain experience, or because they couldn'y be relied upon to stick with something. :confused:
  9. Bones

Bones Member

As a notorious band hopper (does that make me a bad person), I move because of the opportunities to improve. experience and musical challenge. That and my ever changing work circumstances

Not money, not glory not anything other than the musical challenge, personal improvement and experience.
  10. As another member of 'Band Hoppers Anonymous' my reason is that i'm actually too nice and if a band asks me to help out i struggle to say no unless i have a genuine clash. Then I've been a victim of relocation/change of instrument/registration rules (i was also blocked for doing a contest due to the silly welsh/english registry clashes!)

But there has to be a distinction between people that are serial deps for lots of bands (or masochists as we are sometimes called!) and what I think you're referring to as 'glory hunters', that will move bands on a whim just because they have a good concert/CD/contest appearance/band tour coming up. Seen that done many a time and isn't fair not only on the band their leaving but also the band they move to as they will probably move again after a short while when another opportunity comes up elsewhere.
  11. Robhibberd29

I can only speak from the circumstances I've seen in bands and I think the MD is a factor in this sometimes as the "glory hoppers" seem to follow an MD round as they hop from band to band, picking off another couple of talented players then moving on. I've been replaced at a band by a "lifelong mate" of the new MD who, if the MD hadn't moved to the band, would not be there. Im equally as sure that he will "Move on" as soon as the MD does.
  12. BoBo

BoBo Member

I took 20 years out with family etc. and now I am able and happy to help out out bands who have a gap, I'm making up for lost time you might say. So now I am more or less a regular with 3 bands simultaneously and being chased hard by a fourth. Without Lenny's serial deps/masochists the problems of bands struggling for players would be further exacerbated so lets be clear that this is a good thing and definately not to be confused with the glory hunters.

Its almost the reverse in fact as I find that by staying registered in 4th section I can (and do) contest with any section that needs me. The crunch comes at the areas of course, a decision has to be made and it means I have to say no to 3 bands, that is not easy but provided you are straight up with people from day one then there are not too many tears.

As Bones says the musical challenge, personal improvement and experience is what it is about, I would add to that a wider social network and the satisfaction of helping where there is a need while doing something most enjoyable. I can recommend it!
  13. toptutti

toptutti Member

In the past few weeks I've followed the conductor to his new band. I haven't done this for glory or money (the most I've ever accepted is a pint for helping out). I haven't turned my back on my own band but they are not contesting at the moment and I feel I need the challenge of a new position and the stress of a contest or two. I've explained this to my own band and will continue to play for them as long as they want me to. I'll just be missing a few practices for a while. When I return to my own band I would hope I'd remain on the deps list even when the conductor moves on

I've not pushed anyone off their seat, just filled a vacant one.
  14. Robhibberd29

The guy I'm on about hasn't remained at another band, and the seat he's filled wasn't empty. The band he was at previously he was at for 3 weeks. I believe that's the kind of person this thread was referring to and not your good self :)
  15. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Since July 5th I've played with 4 bands (7 if you count three youth groups) and counting.
    Number 5 is on Saturday and I've offered to help 2 other bands out.

The joys of being a jobless student at home for the summer.
  16. Some of us are just old. We've played in a lot of groups.
  17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

My Band is the opposite. We have two on 50+ and one on 70 years in the same band!
  18. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I guess it comes down to happiness in some cases. If you are happy, you wont move on.

Or moving. I loved Lofthouse, but moving from Leeds to Essex gave me a hellava commute ;)
  19. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

There's a huge difference between someone who helps out a band (or three) by depping and someone who uses a band, sometimes following an MD, sometimes for their own glory or whatever, who stays with a band for months and then suddenly, and sometimes with no warning, leaves.

This type of person is often moved into a corner seat through knowing someone in the band/committee/hierarchy or by being personally well-known and usually pushes someone else off the seat (ie nothing like a dep at all).

This type of player can often be a cause of damage to a band because their rapid appearance and subsequent disappearance can seriously demoralise other players. I have come across cases where whole families seem to do this kind of thing and that leaves a huge chunk missing out of the heart of the band.

Deps and known temps are one thing. Band hoppers quite another.
  20. David Mann

David Mann Member

If I look at my playing career, 3 moves were due to relocation, one because I left the Salvation Army, one due to personal reasons and one due to ambition. The others were generally bands that asked me to help out after I'd tried to lower my involvement and I ended up staying for a while. I don't have a problem with people either staying at one band or moving around - personally I have enjoyed playing so many insruments at so many levels and meeting lots of people.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009