Band fundraising ideas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MrsDoyle, Jul 26, 2009.

1. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

In what ways do you raise funds for your band or brass group? We are looking at many ideas including the production and sale of personalised pens (such as those produced by companies) which cost a matter of pence and we could resell them fairly easily at a profit.

Any other ideas or comments on that idea?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dan
    thorogh
    Band fundraising ideas
    cheque
  3. Red Dog Brass

Red Dog Brass Member

Hi dan,

Just a little word of warning.....
    I have 8 boxes of t shirts and around 300 pens left in my cellar from a previous venture......

Best of luck though - I will buy one to help out!

4. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I'll have some pens from you... :)

Helping each other out!

5. blue juice

blue juice Member

Bag packing at supermarkets, in full uniform
    Quiz nights
    At Xmas we play 2 weekends inside our local M&S playing 8 hours on a saturday and 6 on a sunday. We also do 2 6 hour days in the town centre. We collected £5000 this year. You rotate the playing between the players having about 8-15 players per 2 hour slot.

6. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Carolling is one of the best fundrasing ideas. Also having a set programme of music and performing a little concert outside a supermarket seems to be very popular and a good way to raise money.

7. It takes some organising but what about a five a side football tournanment for local bands/businesses Croft did it for a couple of years. We have just done a 12 hour sponsored play, had to have at least four playing but generarly had lots more, junior band members came too and we all swapped instruments and had fun. A local business is going to match our sponsor money up to a certain amount.

8. bbg

bbg Member

Held a "promise auction" along with our pre-tour concert before heading for Germany at the start of this month. Promises / lots ranged from home baking - smallest bid was £3 for two banana loaves - through to floral arrangements (reminder to self - I bid £20 for one and it's my wedding anniversary this week), signed footballs, car valeting, dog walking, and on to bigger items obtained by band members through work contacts etc, culminating in a round of golf for 4 at Gleneagles. In all, over £650 raised. A few weeks earlier, one of the girls in the band, with help from some Youth Banders on the "Youth Acchievement" scheme, organised a ceilidh night, £8 a ticket including food, over 100 turned out many of whom were not directly connected with the band.

9. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

We do all the usual carol playing at Christmas. Past successful ideas include: sponsored 12 hour marathon (at least 2/3 band playing continuous (very little organisation needed), mobile garden party - each host pays a fixed fee (£10 say) and guests contribute via collection bucket play 20 mins at each venue - lots of organisation but £1070 collected on a very wet weekend. Other daft ideas include spnsored A-Z challenge playing at place beginning with A (Ashbourne), B (Belper) C (Chesterfield), D (Derby) etc all in 24 hours. All lots of fun and good earners.

10. still learnin

still learnin Member

Most companies that purchase branded pens give them away to promote their company, i.e. they don't sell them. There's not a huge market for pens these days (several pen companies are laying people off because of lack of demand). I'd suggest that you do a bit of market research before you buy the pens, e.g. ask some of your friends (not involved in your band) if they'd buy one and what they'd be willing to pay. People might buy them (out of embarrassment or pity) but if it was that easy to make money everyone would be doing it. How much money do you need to make and in what timescale?

Best way to raise band funds is to do lots of jobs and charge a fair price for each one, look for a low cost bandroom and charge subs. How about selling your souls to a local sponsor?

11. EasyFundraising Website

Dear all,
    I have just signed Towcester Studio Band up to a fundraising website which rewards organisations with CASH for getting people to shop online via their website simply by visiting shops' websites clicking on the easy fundraising website's link to that shop (over 2000 shops listed)

That probably doesn't make much sense so its all explained here:
    http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/how_it_works/

Is all you have to do is register your band as a cause
    here http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/referral/25500

Once that is done get your members to shop online via the easy fundraising site (not forgetting to nominate your band as their chosen cause and start racking up the funds!

Dan
    pp Towcester Studio Band

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Dan
    thorogh
    Band fundraising ideas
    cheque
  13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

We haven't this year, but for the last couple of years we have sold our own band charity christmas cards. To late now though!

14. jpbray

jpbray Member

Looking at people donating goods for a car boot sale, money from donated goods can be gift aided

15. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Tombolas or raffles at concerts works well

16. jpbray

jpbray Member

Has any had any experience of silent auctions? Does it work?

17. jpbray

jpbray Member

Seems a good idea, are we sure there is no scam behind it?. Just being cautious

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  18. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

and do the band have to be a registered charity?

19. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Sponsorship for the ceremonial gelding of the assistant librarian, is always a good money spinner in my experience.

20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

:biggrin:

Here's a tenner.

And two bricks*....:wink:

(*cue the obligatory joke: "doesn't that hurt? not if you don't trap your thumbs" ba-dum-tsss)

21. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Fundraising website

Well done Dan!!! Yes this is a great way of fundraising! Have registerd City of Coventry Brass and have already made quite a bit of cash for the band fund by shopping online. There's no catch and you don't have to be a registered charity. Definitely worth checking out if, like most bands, you're short of cash.

22. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

It is possible to get grants from your local county council. It is also possible to be lucky enough to be chosen by your area's mayor as one of their charities....