Band fees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by roger 10, Apr 30, 2013.

1. roger 10

roger 10 Member

In these times of austerity I am sure most bands face a dilemma, do we sell ourselves short to
    get the booking or quote a realistic price and risk not getting any bookings, loosing an important source of income and the opportunity to be seen and heard.
    My question is what is a fair fee for a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]. Or 4[SUP]th[/SUP]. Section band to lead a march and or perform at local fates etc.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SUP
    march
    times
    Band fees
    bookings
  3. roger 10

roger 10 Member

I should have included the question what are bands able to charge?

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

About ten years ago a 2nd section band I played with were asked to do a short march followed by a 1/2hr concert at a local Community Day. We didn't really want to do it so we quoted £600 ~ They bit our hand off and booked us immediately and we did the job for the next three years ~ You never can tell...!!

~ Mr Wilx

5. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

About £300 is about right.

6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I think section of a band has very little to do with it.

I have played for too many bands who don't put the same respect into a concert piece as they would with a contest piece, resulting in playing too many concerts to make up the shortfall

If it is well rehearse to the best of the bands ability and entertains the audience, you can pick and choose your jobs and charge a good fee. Thats my experience anyway

7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

As a rule of thumb a 1.5 or 2 hour concert with transporting kit, setting up and packing away, will realistically entail a duration of 3 hours. Times this by 25 players at minimum wage rate of about £6 per hour and you get £450 - not withstanding that you are providing a 'skilled' service which should be charged out far more than minimum wage rates.

However most prospective customers would balk at such a cost. We have had more than one enquiries assuming the band will be free !

I investigated hiring a 5 peice caleidh band for 3 hours recently and they wanted £675. We sell ourselves so very cheaply in comparison.

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

This is an interesting point. There is a widespread perception that a brass band is a civic amenity that doesn't apply to most other musical groups. While it's nice to feel so embedded in the fabric of the community despite actually being private enterprises, it's certainly true that the towns our bands unwittingly represent get a very good deal out of us. Wouldn't it be a nice world if town councils felt that annually contributing towards the band that bears their name in exchange for a free gig or two was a good idea?

9. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

It a very valid point, not sure why but many people think that as many brass bands carry town names (unlike wedding etc bands) we receive funding from the Council. Regarding charging as has been said it's down to market forces. Bands in my area charge from £275 to £575 (but that is a very long march that really the band doesn't want!). The average being around £300. When I was Secretary any new jobs would be done under the rate for a couple of years and then once the relationship was formed I'd increase the price year on year up to market value. But it is very true that bands just can't charge a realistic price for their services compared to wedding bands etc...

10. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

What is the general view about doing 50/50 concerts? 50% of the profits going to the band, the other half going to the organiser (e.g church or village hall).

I suppose it's a bit of a gamble. If only one man and his dog turns up, everyone loses, but if there is a good amount of ticket sales, the band could come away with more than if it charged a straight fee.

11. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

My band did a series of 'donations at the end please', worked out quite well. You've got to get out there and advertise them of course and we put our youngest girls with the collecting bucket at the end with strick instructions to be as cute as possible! It's great because the venue takes no risk and if it is a Church they can make a little money off the refreshments. Didn't of course always work out, but most times it did.

Another local band offered mid-week concerts at half price (basically on rehearsal nights during the summer), lets face it most of the audience for my standard of band are retired and aren't bothered about 'late' nights in the week so got them some extra revenue.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SUP
    march
    times
    Band fees
    bookings