Band Cymru - S4C TV band contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by hellraiser, Apr 27, 2014.

1. RedOctober

RedOctober New Member

Basically yes. The only good bands in wales are in the south east. There's not very much in west or mid wales to my knowledge and the bands in North Wales aren't very good at all. Really there are only two great bands in Wales, Tredegar and Cory. Possibly The Lais I suppose, though they aren't really in the same league. All three of those are based in the south east of Wales. Any Welsh players who are any good and don't play for Cory or Tredegar could be labelled turn coats I suppose as rather than support their local bands, they go and play for better bands in the south west like Flowers.

If you were to eliminate the top bands from the band cymru contest, that would lead to the contest losing any sort of quality really. So really the college ensembles and local bands will just have to practice harder! Though it does seem a bit of an unfair advantage for Cory to enter a contest full of lesser bands, how could they ever lose...

2. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Didn't Northrop get through to the semi finals? They're from north wales! And I think I'm correct in saying they're the only championship section band in north wales.

3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I wondered how long it would be before someone spotted that Northrop is from North Wales. There is another Championship Section Band, Beaumaris Anglesey and two First Section bands near it - a tough journey to South Wales and the competition venue. My check finds eight CS and eight FS bands in South Wales (nothing in mid-wales). For refuges there are two CS bands in Gloucestershire and two FS in/near Bristol.

So RO seems at least mostly right again in that the vast bulk of the skill is in the South. I am surprised that non CS bands are not considered good enough to provide sufficient quality in the competition, to me its all about how entertaining the band (and its program) were rather than how perfect or complex the music was.

4. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

I think it would be a good idea to exclude the 1st and 2nd placed bands from the following year's competition......:)
    On another tack, the adjudications are on YouTube. Lots to learn from them. Band Cymru did a great job in finding guys from the very top of the tree.

5. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I enjoyed the series, but I personally found it somewhat of an anticlimax not having a proper play-off, and it could have been interesting to see how the bands responded to the remarks made following the semifinal performances. Unfortunately, the logistics would probably make that impossible within the timescale they were working to. Either way, I hope that S4C feel the programme has been a success, and that it continues in some form or other.

7. 2nd tenor

8. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Beaumaris folded I think so are no longer a championship section band. Think they may have set up in the lower sections though?

9. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

The simple reason that the south east is where are larger numbers of successful bands is pure demographics- that's where the largest concentration of people live. Good band dotted all over Wales, but the concentration of people, therefore players, is in the South/South East . (ps sorry to be pedantic and correct spelling for the 2nd time in one thread, but it's Northop, not Northrop :) )

10. 2nd tenor

Information on the web does go out of date or is not amended when it needs to be, but Beaumaris do seem to be 'alive and kicking', see: http://www.beaumarisband.org.uk/about/index.php .

11. 2nd tenor

I don't mind you correcting my spelling (Northop) at all. I find your posts helpful and have been glad when you answered my questions :).

It would seem logical that the largest number and the best bands would be where the largest number of people where but that idea is questionable. Let me give some examples: The City of Hereford does not have a brass band at all, The major City of Plymouth does not have a CS or FS band, rural Cornwall has four CS bands and six FS bands, the major City of Bristol does not have a CS band and the nearest English ones are in Gloucester, (small) Lydbrook and (tiny) Aldbourne.

At one point I had been inclined to agree with you that it was all down to simple demographics but the evidence, IMHO, is not there for it. My belief now is that local culture and traditions have the most influence on where the best bands are and so they could be nearly anywhere.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  12. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Yup. Traditionally, it's kinda been a village thing.

13. stopher

stopher Member

The a Senior band is having a break - lost a lot of players after last year's Open due to Uni, work commitments, new job, new babies etc. but will be back, whether this will be as a championship outfit or lower down is another thing but reports of our demise are greatly exaggerated!

The youth band are definitely flourishing though - this year's action research champions by quite a bit apparently and the beginners band and adult learned are full or have more players than you average band.

14. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

I think you will find that Filton are Champ section now, and are very much in Bristol.

15. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Thank you :) I was only talking about Wales, by the way, not referring to the way bands in England are spread out at all, so my comments are correct in relation to Wales only. England's bands have a lot of different influences, as population is much greater and much more spread out. Industry and tradition (e.g. mines in Cornwall and Yorkshire) historically had much to do with the distribution, which also contributes to the proliferation of mining bands in South East Wales.

16. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

How about a new programme:-

The most mediocre band in Wales contest!

Presented by Esperanto speakers.

With subtitles in semaphore.

What's not to like ?

17. 2nd tenor

This must be a very recent change as it's not on their website (http://filtonconcertbrass.weebly.com/) as far as I can see or here: http://brassbandresults.co.uk/map/s...9099999999653&distance=10.0&driving=N&type=mi .

Whatever, the point I wanted to illustrate is still reasonably made. Alyn James also confirms that banding is a village thing: "Yup. Traditionally, it's kinda been a village thing". Checking out the relatively small number of CS and FS bands within the vast population of the M25 also illustrates that population isn't a firm link to the number of bands ...... well in England anyway :wink:.

It's been an interesting thread. Seems Bob has some thoughts he wants to share now, his usual gems of wisdom :).

18. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Filton are CS as of January '15

19. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Just following up your suggestion really 2T

I had pencilled in you and Mrs October as hosts.

In Ant and Dec style

Or Hinge and Bracket.

You can choose

20. 2nd tenor

Really ? I thought you were just being mischievous :).

Bob Sherunkle: "How about a new programme:- The most mediocre band in Wales contest!".

Are you decribing any band that didn't make the last cut as mediocre? That would seem a rather foolish stance but if so then please do add your name and contact details to your profile so that the mediocre can visit ..... Oh, and I suspect Red might like a word or two too as well.

I guess that the thread is near finished but am really pleased that hellraiser started it. I think Peter Bales' recent post reflects the consensus and my own view :

"I enjoyed the series, but I personally found it somewhat of an anticlimax not having a proper play-off, and it could have been interesting to see how the bands responded to the remarks made following the semifinal performances. Unfortunately, the logistics would probably make that impossible within the timescale they were working to. Either way, I hope that S4C feel the programme has been a success, and that it continues in some form or other."

Now it's time, for me anyway, to move on to new stuff. Looking forward to next year though!