Band Cymru - S4C TV band contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by hellraiser, Apr 27, 2014.

1. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Is it just me that's noticed that when one comments, the other isn't far behind (I'm sure you all know who I mean).

2. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Cory Cory Hallelujiah. Where were you when these clowns were insulting other bands on this thread? Sitting back and laughing your a***e off?

3. oliwlliams

oliwlliams New Member

I chose Cory as an example simply because everyone likes to have a jab at them when they can. And that proves my point exactly...brass bands are full of people who just can't respect each other.

I've only been in banding 4 years....4 years too ****** long I think!

4. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

You chose to defend the sharks when smaller fish could have done with your efforts earlier. This just made you look like yet another one-eyed supporter having a whinge.
    I was far happier with your remarks regarding the students though. I've had a lot of dealings with RWCMD students over the years and have found them, on the whole, to be a hard-working bunch and an absolute breath of fresh air. Well done everyone at RWCMD!

5. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

6. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

No, it's not just you, Katie.

8. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

I'm off to the live show tonight to try and get my face on the telly again. Huge thanks and congratulations to S4C on a fabulous series of programmes. :clap:

9. 2nd tenor

Just finished watching the program on Clic, unfortunately no english sub-titles yet and near all in Welsh (as you would expect). The program was a recap of the earlier four but still worth watching. The judges decided on Cory so no surprise there, a safe and solid choice. Others will have their own favourites for their own reasons, by a very small margin I felt more entertained by the jazz group than the others even though (IMHO) they were not as skilled - wish I could play as well though.

"Huge thanks and congratulations to S4C on a fabulous series of programmes." Absolutely ! I've really enjoyed the series.

10. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

I'm very surprised by their choice. I thought Tredegar were technically excellent and far more entertaining than Cory. Both, of course, were brilliant, and you've got to roll with the punches in these adjudications , so, congrats to Cory and hard luck to Tredegar.

11. Phil3822

Phil3822 Member

Well I was happy with the result. I always thought it was between Cory and Ton, I found ton's performance more enjoyable but admired the technical ability of Cory. Really enjoyed the show though, I felt it was entertaining and would love to see more televised competitions of this sort. There are certainly plenty enough channels which show rubbish.

12. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Psssst! Has he gone?

13. Phil3822

Phil3822 Member

I must admit it has gone quite in this thread since the win was announced. I was expecting some more ultra critical comments.

14. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Give it time !

;)

15. 2nd tenor

It has been a very interesting thread which I hope has some life left in it yet. ‘Band Cymru’, I wonder what it was meant to mean, to be focussed on when it was originally thought of. Cory won and in doing so also lent the competition a degree of credibility but does the presence, nay dominance of Championship Brass Bands reflect the diversity and merit of other bands in Wales? Does the presence of Championship Bands in such a competition crowd out other groups of merit, who would also perhaps reflect their local communities and Welsh Bands better?

IMHO much was right with the competition. Four programs plus a review worked and the general format was probably right for most viewers. If I could change it I’d like to restrict the skill level of brass bands to first section (still very high) and below and split the prize money – say between first and runner up in the final or maybe each program winner and the final winner. I think those changes would give a more diverse and open entertainment competition. What changes do forum members think would benefit the competition and strengthen audience appeal?

16. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Just saw the online version of the programme (as linked by 4BR) - very enjoyable and I thought all were great - especially Tredegar and Cory.

PS: Couldn't understand the Welsh though. :)

17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The initial stated aim of the competition was to give "a unique opportunity for television audiences to enjoy the very best in Welsh bands, performing an entertaining programme to the highest standards of presentation; to enjoy the high standard of bands that we have in Wales as well as choirs; to raise awareness of this high standard and broaden the appeal of bands through television programmes with the emphasis on entertaining performances from all competitors" And I think its achieved it in spades!
    I thought all the bands were excellent.

The only things I would change would be to spread the prize money around a bit, get the bands to perform again for the 'final' rather than just reviewing their previous performances, and to actually play the whole programme for each band in the TV shows.

I personally believe that excluding top section bands (ie. the 'strongest') would weaken the competition and make it less appealing to some people.

18. 2nd tenor

First thanks for a good reply, now onto the point above. I can see that for hard core banders a program with Championship Bands on it is great but is that really core to what the general public like and does it serve the banding community as a whole that well? Is putting college and community bands up against the likes of Cory really a competition or just setting them up for failure? Can't see that it is a fair challenge myself and that level of unequalness might well put many good bands off.

First section bands do some great stuff (as you of course know, and congradulations to yours on its recent win/wins) and barring the much 'bigger boys' will open up the field to the firsts as well as other still excellent groups of players (jazz, windband or whatever). Why not let there be true competition between more equal and excellent groups of local players?

19. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

because then it wouldn't be showcasing "the very best" in Welsh Bands, which is what the people paying to make the programme set out to do

20. 2nd tenor

Perhaps that's another change worth making then, just take the "very" out and then maybe consider what is meant by Welsh too.

Shouldn't Welsh pretty much mean all Welsh people living and playing for a band based in Wales rather than a band based in Wales that can and maybe does (I do not know if any did or do) pull its players from where ever it chooses? As far as I could see all the bands were based in South East Wales does that really represent Welsh Bands properly when non from the rest of Wales are there, or are only the good bands in the South East?