Band Contest on TV Today (6th August) 12th August

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Aug 6, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

For those able to recieve S4C television (available on Sky Digital too) don't forget to tune into this at 12:00 today where you will see 1st and Championship section bands competing in this years National Eisteddfod.

For those wishing to watch or listen who don't have access to S4C, here are some links: (courtesy of Dyl)

Live video feed
    Radio Cymru coverage (audio only)

How often do you see bands on TV, let alone a contest... and it's live - yes, live!!!! So c'mon everyone, tune in - and why not enter yourselves next year - think about what you could achieve!!! :)

Enjoy!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Band Contest
    S4C
    Dyl
    TV Today
    Sky Digital
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Thanks for that. I'll go and listen to Chalgrove Brass in my local park and then watch more bands on TV, cool.

4. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

That'll mean interupting my very strenuous day of cricket watching, however I might flick over between overs to catch a few bands! Good luck all.

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Just to point out that the contest is only open to Welsh bands!

Existing 2006 Eisteddfod discussion here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22971

6. TheMusicMan

Oooops... my bad! Sorry all.

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well looks like a slap on the wrist for you John from Dyl :biggrin:

8. TheMusicMan

Nope, not a slap Ian ;) just a reminder that the contest is for Welsh bands only when I may have led people to believe anyone could enter.

9. Colin Hogg

Colin Hogg Member

Well that may not be true!!!!!
    As some of you know, I was MD at Portishead a while ago and I phoned the organisers of the band part of the Eisteddfod to see if we could enter. He said we could, but the band would have to register with the Welsh Registry. I never followed it up and Im not sure how an English band could do this.:confused: If any one reading this Knows Allan Gibbs, he may clear it up.( He runs The Welsh Registry)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2006
  10. Bungle

Bungle Member

I watched it on Sky Sunday. Although it looked as though they were inexperianced at filming a brass band (zoomed into back row, when front row was stood playing Tumpets wild), I thought the quality of the production was quite good overall, with good changes of shot to make it interesting. Better than the quality of camera work on the DVD's from the Europeans. I videoed the last of the bands, as we went out to the Botanical gardens in Southport and listened to Chorley Silver Youth band, who sounded good.

11. Heather

Heather Member

I actually thought the coverage was very good. The cameraman managed to show shots of everyone in the Band (even the Baris!!!). I've seen bands on TV before where all you see is the front row!
    I really enjoyed watching and must make a note for my diary for next year. Well done S4C.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Band Contest
    S4C
    Dyl
    TV Today
    Sky Digital
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

Just a quick heads-up to let you know that the ensemble contest has just started, and according to the entry list there are two brass ensembles competing - 'Penclawdd' and 'Radyr & Morganstown'.

Above links should still work.

14. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Very sorry guys, but the standard of the bands overall in the eisteddfod was poor. Only band that played well in top section was Burry Port. This contest lacks the top bands for some reason, and it isn't like the prize money is ****, like the local contests. At least the bands get £400? (top prize) and travelling expenses. More bands should enter to support the eisteddfod and the contest.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2006
  15. topeuph

topeuph Member

The prize is £750 + you get your traveling expenses subsidised.

16. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Because it's in the middle of August. It's always been the same. The last time the Eisteddfod was in Mold I played for Northop and a lot of us really wanted to enter as it was on our doorstep, but there were simply too many players on holiday. There's a reason the contesting season is when it is....

17. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

It's gone up since I last played with a band there

18. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Yeah your right, I suppose if a band has a lot of students it doesn't help either.