Band competitions for uni bands?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jonford, Mar 16, 2005.

1. jonford

jonford Member

I am currently playing in our uni band which is run by the student union. Next year we are looking to do some form of contest. Our problem is that some of our players are registered for other local bands. Does anyone know of any entertainment contest we might be able to do? Would it be possible to do any contests for unregistered bands?

2. postie

postie Member

Perhaps try something like the whit marches, or maybe try one of the countless March contests during the summer just an idea.

3. jonford

jonford Member

Thanks for your reply, we already do Whit Friday. Should of said. But we are looking for a sit down entertainment contest if there is one we could enter

4. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Killamarsh? I'm not sure.

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Go down to Exmouth Entertainment Contest if you have the money ;-)

Could be a good time for a weeny holiday, albeit it's just before term starts.......

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yes we are fairly flexible on our entries 1st & 2nd (Section A) and 3rd,4th & unregistered (Section B). Cash prizes and attendance fee although bands do have to pay a non returnable entrance fee. 20 minutes entertainment and other instruments, singers etc allowed. We have re-scheduled this contest to either Sunday 2nd or 9th October 2005. (2nd clashes with Wychavon)

How far away is your uni? we are on the South Yorkshire/ NE Derbyshire border 3 miles from junction 31 M1.

7. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I think you'd be able to do Wigan Brass and Beer, I think the rules state each player must be registered but not with the band they're playing with on the day.

8. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Why don't you set up your own inter-uni brass band competition or something like that, could be fun.!?!

9. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I'm sure there's a contest in Teesdale for unregistered bands.

10. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

There is a band contest on the Isle of Man as part of the Manx Music Festival where there are no Registration rules. Most of the local bands ususally fight out for the prizes, as far as I know, other bands "from across" (as they say on the IOM) can enter!.

Held annually in April.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    uni bands
    unregistered bands
    entertainment contest
    local bands
    Band competitions
  12. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

You could try the Ripon contest which is in June or the Middleton in Teesdale which is in July. Ripon is 3rd, 4th, youth and unregistered and is a 20 min programme which must include a march and a hymn tune. Middleton is 4th, youth and unregistered and is a march, hymn tune and a selection. You can also feature a junior soloist if you wish.

13. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

You could also try the British Youth Band Association's National Open Concert Band Championships in April. Any instrumentation, no upper limit on number of players (although only 3 (and the conductor) are allowed to be over 25) and no registration to worry about. :)
    http://www.byba.org.uk/data/contests2005/concertband05.htm

Darryl

14. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

youth, under 25??!? now that is stretching my understanding of youth a little!! but, saying that I have a tiny bit of time left to make the most of it :biggrin:

back on topic, I guess you could enter as contest that allows entries from unregistered bands. Saying that are players that are registered with other bands allowed to play for an 'unregistered' band?

15. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

how would they be able to tell if you didnt flout your registration card in their face and they didnt have retinal scans linked to bfbb's top security database in scotland yard..?

16. jonford

jonford Member

That is one thing I thought, but I think Aidan is right, if your an unregistered band how they going to know.

17. richieramsaran

richieramsaran New Member