band committees

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Aug 31, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

For our band in the States band committees are rather a new idea. When I was in the UK it seemed posts were up once a year at the AGM, but the same people tended to fill the spot year after year.

What I'm really getting at is what do most of you think is healthy for the tenure for officers of your band?

Should it be revisted every need be? Should a new person get a few years grace period?

Any and all comments are appreciated!
  2. postie

postie Member

Yeah I think its healthy for people to be put up for election every year.The problem is sometimes that it can be difficult to get new people to come forward to join the committee. So in that sense you do tend to get the same people doing the same jobs year in year out.
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Our band rotates its committee every two years. You are initially elected on for a two year period so won't be up for re-election the following year. For a committee of eight people we have four persons being elected each year. In this way you get a bit of continuity which is helpful to maintain any projects or policies instigated by the previous committee.
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We have yearly nominations, plus a rule that if you have been a committee member for more than 3 years and someone else is nominated you can't stand against them. This doesn't apply to the officers (band manager, secretary, tresurer etc) however.

Its a bit of a balancing act - you need fresh blood every now and again but also a degree of stability sets everything on a solid foundation IMO. Yearly nominations at least give you the opportunity to clear out any less than useful committee members...:tongue:
  5. Steve

Steve Active Member

I dont think this rule should be black and white, if someone is doing an excellent job for the band and are happy doing it then why not let them carry on. If someone else wants a go then it should be a straight election. Re-elcting the same people can sometimes be by fare the best move for continuity and progress.
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

In my old band we had a great system. If you didn't turn up to the AGM you could be voted into any postion those there saw fit, usually Librarian. :D
  7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Having been Chairman of my band for 2 years, and not through the joys of attending committee meetings but because no other ****er will do it, (this applies to most positions on our committee) I find that the decision making becomes stale because everybody is reading from the same page. New blood every year can only be a good thing.

Just my 2p
  8. Pookiyama

Pookiyama Member

Some people are *really* good at their jobs, however, so it's no surprise that they're voted into positions again and again...!
  9. Moy

Moy Active Member

Benevolent dictatorship is the best kind of committee.
    It will, can and does work - seen and liked it.
  10. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

I agree with most comments, although, if the same people are being re-elected year on year, then you do get a balance of continuity... My father has been chairman of United Co-op Yorkshire since Jayess and Jayess '87 (of which he was chairman there) merged, which in total makes about 8-9 years.. He didn't even like bands before and only got involved with my first band because he could keep an eye on me!

Andy, still searching for the "right band"