Band Coaches

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sugarandspice, Apr 30, 2008.

Does your band charge playing members for coach journeys?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
  2. No

70 vote(s)
  3. Sometimes

25 vote(s)
  1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Just wanted to get a perspective on this issue:
    Does your band expect playing members to contribute to the cost of hiring a coach to go to a contest?
    Do you charge non playing members (supporters) for travelling on coaches with you?

And is anyone prepared to disclose how much you actually charge?

Thankyou for your time.
  2. Al

Al Member

All down to band funds for us. I think a contribution usually works as a compromise.

Some of my more interesting band experiences have been on the coach back from a contest, but perhaps that is another thread.
  3. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Is that not the real reason anyone ever hires a coach?! ;)
    Probably not even needed for another thread, imagination is a wonderful thing!

Ta for your response tho.
  4. MattB

MattB Member

Don't think its a secret to say how much coaches cost, anyone can get a price! We pay £350 for the Whit Friday coach, and ask band members to pay £3 towards the cost. The band are a good bunch and see it as a damn sight cheaper than it'd cost in petrol!
  5. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Whit Friday is always funded by the band supporters are asked to make a donation,(although this year we managed to find a great sponsor) other coaches we try to fund through weekly raffles, with the balance being funded by contributions from players, as previously stated sometimes cheaper than petrol

methinks a sometimes choice needed on the poll
  6. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Done :tup
  7. flugelman

flugelman Member

Just Band funds for us. We tend not to use a coach though very often. For instance we use our own transport for reasnoably close jobs/contests
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Yep, not being flush with cash we all (usually) chip in towards the coach fee unless the band bank balance is fuller than normal at the time. Usually something in the region of £5 a head with the balance of what's left (if anything) being paid by the band coffers.

I think generally if it helps to keep the band solvent we're all happy to do it.
  9. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Our band only puts a coach on for long distance contests, we drive to the closer ones.
  10. we get a lovely bus
  11. Tromgod

Tromgod Member Scotland we had a really lovely bus!
  12. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Ah boys, you got there before me!!

Altogether now...........

''lovely bus mind!''!!
  13. postie

postie Member

What we normally do is that the band normally pays for the coach for contests that we do. We try and get some of the money back by holding a raffle.
  14. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

We only hire a coach once a year for the area and is paid by band funds. The only other contest we do is Buxton and thats our home contest.

We are more of a concert band and we do loads of concerts in the year. If I joined a contesting band and did less concerts,If think its reasonable to ask for a contribution towards the coach, if thats what you wish to do.
  15. agentorange

agentorange Member

We're lucky in that we're sponsored by a coach company, so it's not really an issue for us. However in previous bands we always paid a contribution.
  16. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Ive been in situations where the band, if its feelong flush, pays for the coach but its not unreasonable to ask for help towards the cost. £3.50 each person/player, very reasonable indeed.
  17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

The band normally foots the bill.

However the last 2 years for Butlins we have used our own cars and been re-imbursed petrol expenses, which works out cheaper than the cost of a coach for the weekend. Plus also people are free to travel there and back when it suits them.
  18. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

I've been in bands where there's been no charge and some where they can't afford a coach, so people pay a fiver or so towards it as its better than driving. Also some bands just charge for the supporters to go on the bus. It all depends on the individual finances of each band.
  19. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Every contest we go to involves hiring a coach and also having an overnight stay at a hotel, as its usually at least a 300mile round trip for a contest. We all pay around £30 each and the band pays the rest. We use the local bus company, West Coast Motors and we've had the same driver for the last 20+ years!!

We class our Jackie as a member of the band altho not a playing one and he's even got his own page on the website!!

When Dodworth Band were sponsored by British Steel Stainless, we never paid for anything, mind you we were winning thousands of pounds each year at entertainment contests. In the hotel in London,after winning the 1990 national 2 nd section, I remember supping bottles of 40 quid champagne out of pint pots,I had the biggest hangover in my entire life ! Sadly those days are long gone, we have to pay 5 quid each for the bus and buy our own ale as well.:mad: