Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BeatTheSheep, Aug 7, 2003.

1. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

Anyone got any stories of really strange behaviour in bands, i.e. CHARACTERS.

for example: Peter Christian (black dyke, faireys on 1st baritone) leaving rehearsal at 10pm ON THE DOT whether the band had finished or not to get back for last orders at the Swan pub.

Geoff Whitham stories anyone? clean please. :twisted:
  2. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

god i should know loads seen as though he's always telling them me in my lesson - minds gone a blank - only remember little parts of them
  3. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

oooohhh.......... all of us..........too numerous to mention!! :lol: :wink:
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Our conductor and principle have farting contests .... unfortunately I sit right near them and they reak!
  5. SammyT

SammyT Member

eeeeeeeerrrrrrr They are very funny but a bit embarassing :oops: :oops: :lol:
  6. amgray

amgray Member

Clean Stories??? from/about Geoff??? That should limit this thread!!
  7. markyboy

markyboy Member

One story about Geoff Whitham I may pass on that is almost(!) family reading is one ocasion when he was rehearsing my former band for the 1996 Area contest.
    To my left side was a certain repiano player now known to all of us as 'Cornetgirl'.
    This particular practice she was very poorly with a chest infection, but refused to miss the practice, such was her commitment.
    In the middle of one spectacular coguhing fit, instead of Mr Whihtam asking if she was ok,all then sympaphy she got was Geoff saying 'Go on lass ~ bring it up, it might be a Viola'
    But she still loves him to this day I'm sure.
  8. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I do - bless him!!!

I'd actually forgotten that particular incident but I think most of that band have memories of my spectacular coughing fits...

Does anyone else think Mr. Whitham bears a certain resemblance to the Honey Monster?

Rach x
  9. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

not really but i can see what you mean lol
  10. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Another classic Whitham moment occurred at a rehearsal of Bradford Youth Brass Band back in 1994ish.

One of the trombonists had one heck of a crush on the principal cornet at the time and was wearing a rather low cut, exceptionally short dress in order to impress (with no success I seem to recall :D ).

Mr. W was trying to coach her through a particularly tricky part and, as was his wont, was standing behind her singing the part to her. He suddenly realised what she wasn't wearing and, mid piece, blurted out, "Bloody 'ell lass, you out of that thing trying to get in or inside trying to get out??!"

Laugh? The band choked... :lol:

Rach x

PS Jerram, say hi to Uncle Geoffrey from me!
  11. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

will do :wink:
  12. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

We don't just have characters at Wem, we have awards ceremonies to celebrate them!!!!
    Such awards as a--e of the year are regulars. Awards are made by an award committee (me, blondie and chief lardy basso de blower) and take into account such things as style, grace, lack of conscience and abject stupidity to name just a few. No one is safe from these awards (as our own music man will testify), the award committee have very long memories as well as devious minds. What may seem like a minor slip or comment to you, is a whole new award category to us!!!

Be warned, all of you that approach Wem band.......YOU ARE BEING WATCHED!!!!!

Here puss puss puss puss
  13. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

Geoff - says hi "god thats a name from the past" :p
  14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Dronfield do a similar thing as well as more serious awards, in my time with the band i have held "Most Inebriated Band Member" and I currently jointly hold "Most Improved Player"
  15. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Yes which was stolen from me ! I think they should have had a re-decision especially and you were not there at the Xmas Social Presentation and I certainly proved my drinking abilities then! :shock:
  16. bladder

bladder Member there a link here? Inebriated->Most Improved? I suggest we set-up a field trial to try an establish if there's any substance to such a conjecture. Some players are already well into the trial, but to take part new volunteers have to turn up to every rehearsal/gig two-parts oliver. The aim is to see if playing vastly improves! Remember folks, take the bus, don't drink & drive.
  17. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Tell him I'm still on to make him that set of teeth...

Rach x
  18. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

will do :wink: