Band Bashing?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alks, Jun 9, 2007.

1. alks

alks Member

2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I'm not surprised, Americans a more of a Marching Band country.

I must admit, until I joined a brass band I didn't have a very high opinion of them.

Being from an Orchestral background, Brass Banders were always seen as alcoholics and nymphomaniacs.

That view has changed somewhat, I must admit I was surprised when I joined Delph. Not as much alcohol consumption as I had been led to believe and the players are very friendly and welcoming.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

This from a trombonist?:guiness :pig

:)

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Compared to some of the posts that have "gone missing" from that user, the ones that remain are quite mild. He has demonstrated an amazing lack of knowledge about a large amount of brass playing.

5. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

What's wrong with being alcoholics and nymphomaniacs??? :wink:

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Excellent point, well made.

7. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

When the world`s top orchestra`s stop raiding the British Brass band movement for its brass players, I`ll start to worry about the opinions of "nerdy" american trumpet players!

8. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

9. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I did say that my view had changed somewhat, I have learned that this is not the case, however, if you are a nymphomaniac, can I have your number? :tongue:

Indeed, Ian Bousfield started in Brass Bands, now he is the Principle Trombone of the Vienna Symph

10. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

You should be so lucky! :wink:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    american
    alks
    american trumpet forum
    brass bands
    Band Bashing
  12. popmills

popmills New Member

Language and regional accents are picked up by children from their parents and local people. I suspect that this is the case with vibrato. I as a northerner use more vib than my wife a southerner though not excesive.
    We also visit the USA twice a year and while there have a standing invite to sit in with the local high school band. On the first occasion the students commented on our tone and wanted to know how we made such a good sound. The school band has a mix of cornets and trumpets which results in the cormnet players forcing the cornet to sound like a trumpet.
    There is an organisation in the US dedicated to ensuring that any militery veteran has their version of the last post (Taps) played at their funeral. Having heard me play the state assistant director for Florida has requested that should he die before me that I play at his funeral, so a little English vib is appreciated over there.

13. critic

critic Member

Well said! As Andre Previn once said that the quality of playing from some of our top bands was well above some of the proffesional orchestras he had conducted its only snobbery that puts brass bands down.

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I totally agree with you on this one ... and as performers travel to other countries to play with their ensembles and orchestras, this regionalistion of vibrato becomes more diffuse. People tend to adopt characteristics of expression that they like and assimilate them into their own 'language'. Any team involvement has to include compromise between the players and director. Music is no different and differences are quickly communicated globally for adaptations to take place.

15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Nobody moves into a professional career against their will. Here's a question; work your socks off every night of the week and then come last in a contest, or play Mahler 5 and get paid a decent fee? Doesn't take much working out does it?

16. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Or Philharmonic, even:tongue:

17. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I've always remembered the advice of one of my (non-brass playing) lecturers at Leeds Uni:

"Vibrato is an effect, not a necessity!"

18. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Looking at the thread today, I thought it contained some very pertinent points.

The type and amount of vibrato used in brass bands is frequently excessive and unmusical. Particularly offensive to my ears are soprano players who dominate full band playing with loud, exaggerated vibrato as if they're soloists. I heard an example only yesterday in a recording by a top UK band playing "Elsa's Procession" where the soprano at the end made me cringe.

19. markyboy

markyboy Member

Hmmm ...... the words ' Worms ' and ' Can of ' spring to mind Brian .

I kind of thaught that a Soprano Cornet was a soloistic instrument within a Brass Band ?

Its a ' one off ' instrument that at times needs to ride over the rest of the band on the last few bars of a piece , which vibrato creates that effect ?

I doubt the likes of Mr Roberts , Mr Wycherley etc , (and all of us that to aspire to such playing) are going to change what seems to have worked for many a year.

( Sorry if this is going off the original topic ) .

20. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

it was interesting what it said about the cornet/trumpet tones, mastering of instruments and the general trumpets and vibrato don't mix.

As a cornet player around trumpet players, my tone is much more 'trumpety' due to listening. I dont mind but it was obvious when i sat next to a cornet player who had always been surrounded by cornet players. This girl used vibrato and made an amazin 'cornety' sound. - which made me feel down cuz i struggle alot with vibrato! - Probably cuz ive never had to use it much!
    I would say that the trumpeters i know who have taken up the cornet, struggle with the cornet more (this may or may not be true its just linking to my surroundings!) because its trickier to get a high range and the righ amount of air flow.
    The trumpeter/vibrato thing i think is changing. i personally find vibrato easier on trumpet which has indeed led to some victimising when surrounded by other trumpeters! lol. But ive now noticed that trumpeters are adding the teeniest little spec of vib to the end of their playing.

I would say the use of vibrato will change through time, with flickers of trumpet vib becoming more noticeable and maybe brass banders becoming less vib-tastic. maybe maybe not. time will tell!!!

21. Bungle

Bungle Member

What a great new word. Wish I'd thought of that.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    american
    alks
    american trumpet forum
    brass bands
    Band Bashing