Band Banner suppliers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rapier, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Anyone have any suggestions? (other than the usual suspects) Want to get a new set for the Band, but at a sensible price.
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Anyone? Don't make me buy a sewing machine.
  3. _si

_si Member

4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

The lack of response is probably because we only know of 'the usual suspects', who you excluded.

As for buying a sewing machine, cast around in your area for someone who's handy with one. When NWB first started, we had nothing and no funds to buy anything. Fortunately, my wife has a computerised embroidery machine and has always been a good seamstress, so with my help making a template and cutting out material, she made 30 banners which we still use. The embroidered 'wherry' on each one took a bit of working out and is not as complex as a professional machine would have been able to accomplish, but they do the job and saved us hundreds of pounds.

If you don't want a coat-of-arms embroidered, just embroidering the name or initials of the band on a banner is a relatively simple process. There must be a shop in your area that sells embroidery machines and that would be a good place to make your first enquiries to find someone to make them for you. Take in a sketch of what you want the banner to look like and the proprietor may be able to put you in contact with someone to help you.

(...and, before you ask, the answer's 'no' ;) )
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

...just imagined this being said in a Clint Eastwood voice :lol:

I think the problem is you asked for a sensible price. Our banners came from Tor Designs (Handley's) they cost over a grand about 5 years ago but I have to say they look great and have lasting really well so far.

Even more years ago we went down the road of getting uniforms made on the cheap, it was a painful and ultimately fruitless excercise so we ended up going to the usual suspects and paying through the nose for them. Although I resent paying stupid money for anything (Handleys recently quoted over 150 quid each to make two of our relatively simple jackets) I do believe you get what you pay for.
  6. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Well I made our banners,not the embroidary,that was by a local company very reasonable, take a look. goto news scroll down.
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yep we at KSB managed to get ours for cost of art work and embroider jacquard(?), cost of material and time for some one to sew them up.

They are full colour printing on black material with silver fringe - piece of doweling and velcrose to clip them on stand.
  8. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

I would recommend Royale Leisurewear for any embroidery work
  9. countessduckula

countessduckula New Member

01246 454447

based in chesterfield, also do band uniforms, can even match spares to your exisiting uniform
  10. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member long ago did you use these people. The url you give is incorrect and a Google search on the name was negative.
  11. The Wherryman

Just spotted a banner across the top of tMP (where it says 'Your Banner Here') for this firm . Might be worth a phone call.

(Mods - I had to wait for this banner to come round again, as the first time I saw it I was too slow to click on it to find out more. Is there anyway for we users to scroll through the banner ads? That could be very useful.)
  12. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

A quick Google search came up with in Chesterfield.

13. The Wherryman

Thank you, Janet
  14. countessduckula

countessduckula New Member

apologies, a muddled mind, should've posted the folowing. phone no was right though! have used them in last year for both banners & uniforms. also separately for work uniforms. even managed to match up our own embroidery without the artwork, just using a scanned pic!

Leisurewear Direct

4a South Street North
    New Whittington
    United Kingdom
    S43 2AB

+44 (0)1246 454447

+44 (0)870 755 9842

15. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Try any leisurewear or local school uniform supplier. We had banners made and embroidered by a local company for <£500. Also, walking out blazers - school suppliers are great for these (even larger stomach sizes) - example is embroidered blue blazer for c. £28