Band Attacked in park

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ploughboy, Jul 21, 2004.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

On Sunday (18th) we (Emley) were playing a concert in Cross Flatts Park, Beeston. During the second half of our (obviously excellent) performance we had stones (golf ball and slightly smaller size) thrown at us by a group of Children (aged 8 - 14?) a gang of about 12. Possibly they were aiming for bells of the basses or Drum kit, one of our Bbb basses was hit leaving a large dint.

One of the organisers had "a word" but they still threw a couple more! I rang the police (999) an officer turned up and one of the said youth's adnitted to throwing the stone!! (idiot) Was frog marched to police car (with aplause from crowd and band). Emley brass band are now prosicuting said youth. The police said there had been other incidents but no-one wanted to press charges!!!

So be warned, but don't be afraid to ring 999, the local police are very (VERY) keen to stop these idiots spoiling a local sunday afternoon on a nice freindly (on the whole) park.

2. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

That's awful... We've had a few mince pies and bread buns aimed our way at christmas do's (by adults, i might add) but nothing that can dint the isntruments or cause any damage. The sooner the youths are in police hands the better.

3. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Also the prat that lobbed an egg at the tMP band at Delph in 2003 :evil:

This is my own personal opinion, but these people should have the same done to them and see how they like it :!: :twisted:

4. ted

ted Member

Yeah put them in the stocks and give them a public spanking I say.

Ted

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Disgraceful behaviour! Good for you for pressing charges... Let's hope nothing else like this happens again

:evil:

6. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

this happened to our band once in the 70's, the top euph player stopped playing said "excuse me" to the MD ,got off the band stand, grabbed the biggest youth and gave him a good hiding!!, the others ran off, then he got back on the stand and finished the peice we were playing and nobody said a word!!
    Amazin! wouldnt happen nowadays tho :cry:

7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Garry - I'd heard that you were all stoned but I completely misunderstood! Hope everyone is OK and that justice is done!

See you at Wetherby on Sat?

D

8. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

:shock: :shock: Stuff like that has only ever happened to us at carnivals...

- once when we were stood outside a pub and money was thrown at us

- once at a carnival when water was a problem... :p :shock:

Luckily drunk people have bad aims and no one was dented or got wet...

9. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Thats St Agnes carnival for you though :wink: (don't forget the flour bombs as well).

Carnivals are the worst. Kids and people who are old enough to know better who walk in and out of the band or try to do a bit of counter marching. I remember once when our ex-bass trombone player tripped up sombody walking through the band. This bloke fell flat on his face, smashing it right up with blood everywhere. Nobody else tried it again that year!

The risk is that serious damage can be done to the players.

Pressing charges seems to be the only way to (legally) do anything about it.

Igg

10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shame I'll miss you Saturday, At a friends wedding (troms marring bass players, what will tha kids be like~???) Hope you have a good day tho!

G

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Emley
    Bbb
    Cross Flatts Park
    Beeston
    local police
  12. Power Tooba

Power Tooba Member

Technically A Trom Marrying a Euph, but currently having a tomporary promotion to Bass.... 8)

Sorry To Hear about Last Saturday. Should be taken away and thrashed :!:

13. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

My Father tells a story where his band were marching at Teignmouth Carnival and one of the local lads thought it would be funny to "march" the wrong way through the ranks of the band.....big mistake!
    Each section took in turns to give the hapless idiot a "dig" and for good measure the bass drummer clocked him a beauty with his stick on the side of the head.
    As the band continued on its way, it left one poleaxed member of the public lying in the middle of the road!
    The most impressive aspect was that the bass drummer never missed a beat !
    Ian Heard.
    Soundhouse Brass.
    Plymouth.

14. They all deserve what they get! :evil: they should be banned from ever listening to a brass band!!! :lol:

15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Wow, how did he do that?! He's psychic!! :wow

Oh no, wait, Mount Charles were also playing that year... :roll:

We have lots of police around to protect us now :) :)

16. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

That is a very sorry story. You'd think in this day and age it would be dealt with more serverely in fear of a courtcase! Loved Shaz''s retellling of the "In my day" classic. It's a damn shame noone goes around offering to beat naughty children for you any more. I can still remember the days when if you were naughty and not at home, someone else got to whack you!

17. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Bass trombonists, obviously. Hope they don't have triplets...

D

18. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

:roll: :roll:

One pair of black trousers ruined cos of that

Charvas ya knaa :roll:

19. blondie

blondie Member

That s a terrible thing to happen, good for you lot standing up for yourselves.

We experience some minor incidents most years at Wem Carnival, which is deeply annoying, (and yes I would like to leave the parade and remedy the situation). One year our Chairman got a pint pot wedged in the bell of his BBb and coins are usually lanched as well.

20. HBB

HBB Active Member

Someone chucked an egg at me after rehersal ... still trying to get it off my cornet case!

21. Lucky Beaver

Lucky Beaver Member

Someone chucked an egg at me during a rehearsal........think it was after I accused the front row of rushing for the 5th or 6th time :D

We've got to play at Beeston Gala in a fortnight's time. One or two of the band were reluctant to put their names down for the job. Now I know why! Maybe we'll get kitted out in new uniform....full body armour :shock:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Emley
    Bbb
    Cross Flatts Park
    Beeston
    local police