Band Aid 20 - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by trumpetmike, Nov 18, 2004.

1. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I heard the whole of this earlier today (and saw the video) and what can I say?

Absolute Rubbish!

Why remake a great song in such a poor manner?

Is this me getting old, or is this a popular opinion?

Maybe they should rerelease the original and have a straight contest between the two??

2. ComposerAndy

ComposerAndy Member

Just heard it on the News. It's not so terrible, but the original was better. The 80's soundworld was and still is integral to it. They said that the general opinion seems to be that the original was better, so no you're not getting old!

Don't think I'll buy it. Aside from my disagreement with the concept of charities, I want the re-release of Amarillo at number one this Christmas!
  3. six pints

six pints Active Member

My housemates got a laugh today tho when they came downstairs at 6oclock to find me crying at it. im getting soft. :(
  4. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i think the original was better... i think if they wanted to do another band aid style thingy tune... then they would be better off doing a completely new song or summat
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Not heard the new one yet, but I thought that they would have had a new anthem and maybe the revamp on the B Side (in a manner of speaking).
  6. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

2nd time of hearing , like it alot more, still don't know what there doing at the end off it, wierd guitar things :S paul mcartney i think :S
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hmm I was a bit undecided about it really - there's no question the original was better, but I liked the opening of the new one. But the classic Bono "tonight thank God it's them instead of you" line was completely destroyed - all the passion of the original was gone - and the whole song pivots on that line. I hated the ending too - it seemed somehow downbeat whereas the original version seemed much more optimistic - maybe that reflects the time we live in these days...:-?
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I havent heard the whole thing yet... only snips they showed on the news and radio (before yesterday)...

At the end of the day though, good or bad, it's gonna raise a lot of money, which I think is the important thing....

but with like a lot of songs, you can never beat the orginal!

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yup, well said Naomi, totally agree with that. :)
  10. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I know it's probably me being cynical but if Band Aid "Changed the world" why is much of the 3rd world still in the same state?

Do the charities make a real difference or is the long term solution to change the method of government in these countries, manage/cancel the debts and then they can make proper use of their natural resources, etc?
  11. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i dont think your being cynical, its a very valid point. as for cancelling debt, im not entirly sure this is the right thing to do. alot of the famine and i may be wrong in thinking this (and probably am!) is being caused by in fighting in the countries involved. would cancelling the debt not give these governments more money to by arms to fight and oppress the population?

omg i cant believe ive just written a serious post!!!!! i think its my first!
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

Saw the video last night, and last time around, it did make some difference - the footage of the little girl as she was then and how she is now following the aid her country received is proof of that. However, there is something seriously wrong somewhere if the same problem persists today - and perhaps it needs to be looked at how the money is being spent.

As for the song - I think the start's really good with some pure emotion coming through in Chris Martin and Dido's voices - but it goes seriously downhill from there with people trying to outsing each other - and as for the end - WHAT??????

Having said that, so what if we don't like the song - buy it and leave the copy in the store for someone else to buy it again! Make it number one - get the message out there again and that particulat copy contributes double the amount to the cause!

Does anyone think there'll be a Live Aid next summer? What are the chances of that happening?

If so, why don't we go about organising a Brass Band Aid event?
  13. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I can't beleive just how bad this version is. Its not just bad, its embarrisingly bad and I cringe when I hear it. That bit of rap in the middle is honestly the naffest thing I have ever heard recorded.
  14. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I like the original better. Why have they replaced the tubular bells with electric guitar?????????????
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  15. twigglet

twigglet Member

Don't think its too bad, quite like the comical little rap bit, makes it a bit different to the original...but the ending is shocking, its like they ran out of people to do singy bits, I was expecting some nice little obligatos but it just kind of stops.

Good cause though, will probably buy it to do my giving and sharing bit
  16. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I don't really think the quality of the recording is really what should be concentrated on, it is the context behind it that really matters in my opinion. The single has been produced to raise awareness of the problems that most of the worlds population tend to forget within our everyday lives. It is through the production of the single, and it's video, that those who produced it are trying to continue to raise the awareness of such a terrible problem, to try to encourage people to donate, and help solve the problem.

If more time was taken to consider the tragic lives, and the problems faced by those that live in third world countries, without much food or water, then the world would probably be a far better place, and problems such as AID's will be able to be countered and treated/ controlled.

The single doesn't cost much, and what should be remembered is that buy purchasing just one copy could actually save someone's life, and bring them happiness which they will have previously had little of in their lives so far.

If everyone on tMP bought one that'd be £3.99 x 3395= £13,546.05 (I think...!)
    Which i'm sure most of you will agree is money that can really make a difference.
    If everyone in the UK bought one then that'd raise, £23,780,400,000!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
  17. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Watched it on the TV yesterday and sorry to say it but it is absolute poo. Mainly sung by a bunch of nobodies, with a few notable exceptions. And what is Justin "whatshisface" doing with that awful guitar solo at the end. And they said the eighties was bad.......

Anyway, as Naomi said, as long as it raises cash that's what matters.
  18. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

And what if all the performers involved donated £0.01 per CD sold of their own recordings?

It's a largely a publicity stunt by (mostly) 2nd rate pop stars trying to raise/improve their own profile !
  19. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

What is with the rap????? Totally ruins it...

Now if Sir Bob had had the sense to get the tMP massive to help it may have been much better!!! :cool:

Rach x
  20. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Now, come on let's be blunt about this.

How many people actually listened to the original as a piece of art?

Very few.

Oh, sure, it's the ultimate singlaong in the moment ending Live Aid, but essentially it's several ideas cobbled together in a desperate effort to have something for the group to sing, culminating in the variation to a song that Bob Geldof had "never been able to do anyhitng with".

And let's not forget that Band Aid II was even more dire than 20 might be considered to be!