Band’s locked out in the cold by Tesco

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DaveR, Dec 17, 2007.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

From the North Wales Daily Post:-

"SUPERMARKET giant Tesco ordered a brass band to play outside in the freezing cold – because its festive carols were too loud, the Daily Post can reveal.
    The 10-piece Deeside Silver Band were due to have played in the foyer at the Tesco store in Broughton, near Mold yesterday but members were told on Friday they must play outside the front entrance.
    Because of the freezing temperatures the band decided it would be too cold for its very young and elderly players to perform a full session.
    Third cornet player Mary Jones, a dairy farmer’s wife from Holywell, said: “You couldn’t expect children to stay out in the cold. We didn’t even turn up.”
    And Mrs Jones said that licensing laws would have prevented them from playing outside anyway.
    She said: “We were told the music may drown out the Tannoy system and could upset customers.
    “Apparently Buckley Town Band played in the Tesco foyer at Broughton last weekend and was too loud.
    “But we’re a much smaller band so there shouldn’t be as much noise.”
    The row echoes similar “elf-and-safety” incidents this Christmas.
    In late November police were called to the a shopping centre in Llandudno amid complaints youngsters from the town’s Ysgol San Siôr were singing carols too loudly.
    A Tesco spokesman said live music policies were up to individual store managers.
    But he said bands could cause congestion at one the busiest shopping times of the year.
    He said: “It’s not an issue of volume but one of space.
    “We welcome bands to our stores because our customers and staff love the music.
    “But when you have bands of 10 to 15 players, each with their own instruments, they take up a lot of room.
    “Besides, we’ve found that when bands set up by the front door, they collect more money because customers leave stores with plenty of spare change in their pockets.”
    A member of another brass band, who asked not to be named, said it performed at supermarkets in small numbers to avoid problems of congestion and excessive noise.
    But Deeside Silver Band says it has played in the massive Tesco store for several years without problems.
    Mrs Jones added: “It’s a shame because bands are expensive to run and rely on Christmas events like these to raise the funds we need for the rest of the year. For many young children it’s the first time they come across live music and they love it.”

Bah humbug!! :frown:
  2. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

AAAhhh did I ever survive starting as I did at 7 years old and spending hours playing in the cold with the salvation army.....

or are youngsters wrapped in cotton wool instead of coats hats and gloves??
  3. 007ish

007ish Member

I second that, ploughing through feet of snow wrapped, by mum, to within an inch (25mm) of your life to try and keep you warm and sometimes it was so cold that the valves froze whilst walking (yes walking) to the next stop. Hard core charecter building and we enjoyed it :eek: Ahh the good old days :confused:
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Why the heck not? Like the previous two contributors, I cut my teeth, year after year from the age of 8, walking round the streets playing carols, exposed to the elements. And this was in the pre-global warming days when we actually got snow in December! It's yet another example of the increasingly protective attitude towards children. I fear we are breeding a generation of pansies! The irony is of course that if it was left to the kids, I suspect they'd be quite happy to play outside. As usual, it's the adults who are the problem.

And quite apart from anything else, isn't it customary at this 'giving' time of year to be raising money for deserving charities, rather than for oneself?

Of course, I could be quite out of touch......
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  5. JR

JR Member

Jim - you've morphed into Richard Littlejohn!
    Or Jeremy Clarkson?

Is this a stocking filler "...according to Yelland"

Look forward to it!

6. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I did 6hours of playing outside tesco last sunday.....and have every year for the last 4 years.
    It might be cold, and it might be miserable, but it seriously boosts band funds. I'm not saying I like it........but I'm saying get on with it!!
  7. James Yelland

On the contrary. Littlejohn and Clarkson are my proteges. I'm very proud of the way they've turned out.
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

When I joined my first band, they changed their plans and shelled out £1200 on an Eb bass for me as a new player, rather than replacing a clapped out old Euph that one lad was playing - so I made flippin sure I did every job till we'd made the money back and a new euph had been bought.

I think the problem isn't that parents are over-protective - just that these days in the "No-win no fee" culture, someone's always got to be blamed when things go wrong. The attitude of "Well them's the breaks" seems to have gone by the board.

If little Jimmy comes home with the sniffles cos he was out playing christmas carols with the band, surely that's a GOOD thing cos he's learning dedication?

Mind you, when parents have tried to sue youth football clubs if their kid's come home with an injury - maybe bands had better watch out.

After all, valve oil is somewhat toxic being petroleum based, so should kids be trusted with it? No? And drums? Surely hitting things is far too violent to expose impressionable young kids to.

Right, so everyone starts on trombone now, but only if the slide-cream is 100% edible, and the conductor has a fencing style safety-tip on the end of his baton....
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Looking forwards to 7 hours outside Tesco's in Barnsley this Saturday with BBSBB although 7 hours with Old Silkstone inside M&S at Meadowhall would be have been my preferred option.
  10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I've got to agree with all of these curmudgeonly scrooges^^^^:D

When I started playing, firstly my uncle had been in the band 20 years earlier so my parents were under no illusions as to what to expect when carolling season came around. Secondly my grandparents and a number of great-aunts lived in the villages we played in and I'd have got no end of earache had I not turned out, snow notwithstanding. Thirdly, I quite enjoyed it, as it was the one time when the youth and senior bands played together. Finally (and I'm possibly showing my age here, not sure this would happen now) I did quite a lot of supermarket jobs standing outside in the cold with my school band, so the evening jobs with the band were actually an improvement 'cos we got to go the pub afterwards.

There were times when it was perishing cold, (with the usual stories of valve oil freezing up, "when I were a lad", etc.) but it was character building and it made it all the more special when we got invited in to houses/pubs for a nip of sherry. Plus finishing up playing in the local pub at around midnight on Christmas Eve was one of the highlights of the year.

Put the kids in proper coats, hats and fingerless gloves (when I was with Blackley we bought band fleeces for just such an eventuality) and send 'em out, that's what I say.

Also, if they had ten players available, why not divide into two quintets and do it in shifts? I'm not knocking Deeside, by the way, I'm from near there and used to know quite a few of their players, it just seems kind of an over-reaction to a bit of chilly weather.
  11. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

We're always outside at Christmas and our President Don Hodesdon is there for every session to do the collecting - and he's somewhere in the region of 80! I remember carolling sessions 25 years ago when it was a case of cigarette lighters at the ready to defrost the basses. Of course it was cold, but you got through it somehow.

Talking about tannoys, I would love to grab the mic at Tesco's and announce "there's only 10 turkeys left". Can you imagine the riot that would cause?!
  12. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

We always do two busking events, outside of course, each lasting about 2-3 hours each. all we do is wear warm clothes, pretty simple method
  13. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I agree with all responses except this one - I think it is quite acceptable for bands to go out and raise funds at Christmas. As long as it is clear who you are collecting for. Besides which we are a charity and I feel quite deserving... providing a civic duty throughout the year without payment - and supporting other charities. Then go out on Christmas morning without a collection box just for the good of the community it serves.
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well said - last week KSB handed over a cheque for £1,150.00 to a local Hospice charity - we raised the money at a Charity Dinner Dance and they got half the ticket sales from our village concerts. During the year we also play at various local churches - they sell the tickets and get the money for themselves. Having said that we don't go out carolling for cash as we do mainly concerts in December instead (it's warmer inside)
  15. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Didn't we have 'get at Tesco' thread last year?

I have opinions about the Supermarkets 'using' entertainers as free fodder to keep the happy shoppers buying. We do it because it raises money, they do it 'cuse it free(ish), let's remeber this:

And yes I cut my teeth on cold walks around the villages near Bradford, and yes it was very cold, and yes I did nearly go a*** over t** with a BBb Bass in Grange Moor. But playing carols at Tesco's should not be a problem.
    My question is - did you discuss where you would play? If not, you'l know next year. If they did and then changed you have a reasonable gripe.
  16. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Play inside! Now that would be great for once.

My thought, and am probably wrong, is it something to do with the licensing laws and the if you are inside the store its Tesco's that need the licence but outside its the band's responsibility.
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Get all brass bands to go to there nearset Tesco Store and give them a good ear blasting of carols
  18. James Yelland

Well yes, of course. But when giving a story about the evil Tesco to the local rag, you would probably endear yourself to the readership better by emphasising the loss to charities (preferably local), rather than the loss to your own pocket. I believe it's called news management in journalistic circles. (In political circles it's called spin.)
  19. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yup, that'd work.

20. postie

postie Member

Well Bestwood went to it's local Tesco's tonight and we played inside in the warmth!!!!!