Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brownrob, May 15, 2009.

1. brownrob

brownrob Member

Im toying with the idea of writing a piece for bagpipes and band

Just wondering what key the wretched things are in! :p

Someone said they cant play sharps or flats either, but maybe they were pulling my leg!?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I prefer to listen to what the great Spike Milligan had to say about Porridge Guns: "No man has ever learnt to play the bagpipes"....
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

What, they have a key?
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The legendary Scottish cornet player, Charlie Calder, used to say that "a gentleman piper is one who declines to play" :cool:
  6. RamasII

RamasII Member

Hey...its actually quite a good combination..ive done a few pieces for band and pipes...and they are always well received by the public...

Rob i can get back to you quite soon about what key the pieces are in...
  7. They are in the key of B flat.
  8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I was once told that bagpipes were a joke invented by the Irish, but the Scots haven't realised yet :wink:
  9. brownrob

brownrob Member

Oh yeah, they go down a storm over here, there are quite a lot of pipe bands here in Northern Ireland too

But at our recent oncert, we played all sorts of things like Blaydon Races, Malaguena, Raiders Of the Lost Ark etc, but the audience liked Highland Cathedral and Killaloe with the local pipe band the best, even if it did turn out to be a fff blowing match :clap:

Thanks, hope to hear soon!
  10. boagy

boagy Member

They are in the key of Bb but that can be changed to silence with a quick Stanley knife to the bag. :evil:
  11. Andy Baker can probably tell you - Anno Draconis I think his name is - I know he's arranged a piece for bagpipes and band in the past. PM him.
  12. Alisop

Alisop Member

I thought they were in E flat. Whenever we are doing stuff with the school band, before adding the pipes the alto sax puts the bagpipe part in and it works.
  13. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

They're in Eb concert.
  14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

And what key were the saxes in?

No, the pipes are in Bb - actually slightly sharper, to be pedantic....
  15. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Well they play my arrangement of Highland Cathedral in Eb concert but I can see how it could work in either key depending on the notes you use and how fussy you are about tuning!
  16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Most pipers I've heard don't pay much attention to either. :)
  17. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

18. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

What sort of bagpipes? There are great higland bagpipes, scottish smallpipes, northumbrian smallpipes, Uillean pipes and so on. Moving out of the British isles there are shuttle pipes such as the French Musette and multi chanter pipes in the middle east.

Asking what key bagpipes are in is is akin to asking what key are brass bands in ath outh I have played in bands where some sections were clearly playing in different key to others :).

Yes I am being a bit of a pedant, but I did make my own set of Northumbrian Smallpipes a few years ago. For information, they can play a chromatic scale in either G major or D major conceert pitch depending on th drone settings.
  19. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Don't do it!!! I've just spent the past 6 days surrounded by bagpipes. They don't shut up, drone drone, I can't take it any more!!!!
  20. Alisop

Alisop Member