Bagpipes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Oct 9, 2006.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Just been watching a bit of Autumn Watch with Bill Oddie and I've discovered the point of bagpipes. The drone of a bagpipe is to simulate the call of a rutting stag! Obviously mad kilted ******s would lure the stags into an ambush, shoot them with bow and arrows and eat them. Cunning plan eh?
    BMB Musical Ecologist
    xx

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hmmmmmm ... I always was told it resembled the night chorus of lesser spotted haggi in their dens!

3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

And there's me thinking they were invented for the sole purpose of irritating me! :confused:

4. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Latin Name is Agonius Bagum or agony bags in English

5. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Haggis Mortars!! ****** noisy things! Especially when you stood in a massed band with 200 of them!!!

6. persins

persins Member

Well said Lawrence!

I went on a Wessex Military Band trip to Germany and there was a Pipe and Drum band there!

It seemed like they could only play either Highland Cathedral or Flower of Scotland and even then, the tunes weren't that recognisable!

Great bunch of people but the sound of the band was tough to take!!!

7. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

The best time to hear bagpipes is when they are on a hill in Scotland and you are in Bournemouth

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Dont mention BAGPIPES to us at our Band we had to wait for them to finish playing outside before we could start our performance at the MIDLAND AREA this Year:mad: :ranting2: :ranting2:

9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

:clap: :clap: :clap:

10. persins

persins Member

Better that than have to continue playing through a fire alarm!!

But not much, I grant you!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bit
    Autumn Watch
    point
    bagpipes
    bagpipe