BAD tubas needed

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Okiedokie of Oz, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I have a very unusual request, but I am sure some of us may be able to assist, by bizarre twists of fate.

I need information on BAD tubas!! Horrible ones!! Non compensating, poorly tuning, the works!!!!

Actually, that's more of an exaggeration. What I do need is a comparison on tubas, from the perspective of instruments that aren't as freeblowing as Sovereigns. My band is putting in for a grant for 2 new E flats, and while the idea of my band owning nice tubas is nice, I have to be practical. The 3 student yamahas we have are very pratical. A pain in the rump for tuning on occassion, but easy to play for non-tubists. My fear is should we change to Sovereigns or anything as big and nice, the sounds I am only now starting to get from my basses would suffer as they learned to fill the new toys.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tubas that may fill this void??????? Compact and powerful. It's all I am interested in!

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hmmmm! Awkward one this! (I always thought Sovereigns had more resistence than Yamahas, but ...). Try browsing my favourite tuba site link below ... loads of stuff been reviewed.

http://www.tubanews.com/

3. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

No, the student tubas have that much resistance and backpressure in them, sometimes its amazing how they get a sound. However I feel this helps my bass players as the resistance allows them to get leverage when playing. I am so scared that if we did put them all on Sovs, the sound would improve, but I'd lose my foundation.

It's taken me 2 years to get this bass section.