Back to the future - YBS renamed Hammonds Saltaire Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anonymous_user, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

What difference a name change?

YBS now Hammonds again. www.ybsband.org/

Obviously sponsorship doesn't allow for Norwich Union style advertising.

Why should they change the name back when all the real success came under the YBS banner? That's the name/band which will be remembered.

Hopefully the management don't think a bit of Tipex (other liquid papers are available) will erase the problems of the last 18 months. That band will also be remembered under the YBS label.

Surely if they were going back to the future they should have got Prof King back instead of letting him go to Brighouse. He's now got the same hairstyle as the Prof in the movie.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    YBS
    Hammonds Saltaire Band What
    King
    Norwich Union
    future - YBS
  3. Bogtrotter

Bogtrotter Member

Would have thought that was obvious - is the band still sponsored by YBS then? Er...no so how can they continue with being called the Yorkshire Building Society band? By the same token, are Leyland still called BNFL? Er, no.

I would further suggest that in getting back to their roots, it's a case of also trying to limit the amount of vitriol the band receives for having been so inordinately successful in the past. It would appear people like you are going to be more than a little miffed that they are unable toi sling muck at the former YBS band as they now have no links with the old regime.

And what makes you think either Professor King or the band want to work together again....I don't think he works on the cheap...or maybe you know for sure?

What a typically stupid, childish uniformed post this is.

4. Bones

Bones Member

Bit harsh mate. Personally it is a good message that a band is surviving without sponsorship. And whilst I would agree they had success with YBS and Prof King, they also had some success with the name Hammonds.

Lets see how they get on, before the size 9's go in.

PS Maybe Prof King didnt want to go back

5. pemjo

pemjo New Member

Why do people on threads get so sarcastic, and nasty to other people. They were only giving an opinion and they get shot down like this being called childish and stupid!!

You might be defending your band but maybe do it a bit nicer with less sarcasm!!

6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I have renamed the thread so that the topic is a bit more clear, instead of just "back to the future"

7. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

As pemjo says I was trying to stimulate a bit of debate - is that not what tmp is about?

Perhaps you didn't read my post properly. I suggested the name change was a way tipexing the past good & bad. The successful Yorkshire Building Society band were my favourite band of the time - contesting and concert wise. The in-fighting YBS which tried to self destruct not so much.

I was under the impression that when the Building Society ceased to sponsor the band the band decided to keep the initials as that's the way they were known in the banding world as opposed to their full title Yorkshire Building Society. Er, everyone knew they were not sponsored by the Building Society. Er, are Dyke not Black Dyke. Er, are Fodens not the Fodens Richardson band?

The band website (ybs.co.uk!?) suggests that the band asked the company if it was OK to use the name. Er, if it is so obvious how much are Hammonds putting in?

Laying aside the fact that the most consistent combination in recent banding history may not want to work together again, I would imagine that Prof King is not a charity and would require paying.

Are Brighouse, er sorry, Brighouse & Rastrick band not a subscription band without sponsorship? How can they afford the mega money you suggest the Prof commands?

I take it your final sentence in your post means exactly what it says and refers to your own post?

Perhaps the well informed tmpers can enlighten the poor ill-informed. :confused:

8. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys what they are called.
    Good luck for the future to the band

9. Bogtrotter

Bogtrotter Member

Imho, your post has a negitive overtone and is not at all being constructive.

I would also suggest that what Hammonds are doing is moving forward and attempting to put all the negativity and ill informed rumour mongering that have dogged them since King's departure behind them....something I think they should be praised for.

Whilst this will be my last post on the matter, I would point out that the first two reply's that your post illicited, both commented on the suggested negative overtone of it.

I'm all for free speech and a spot of demating, but please, try to give people benefit of the doubt.

10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

:clap: Well said

11. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Lets also not forget that in todays economic climate, bank bail outs, house reposessions etc., an association with a big building society is not really the badge of honour it once was.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    YBS
    Hammonds Saltaire Band What
    King
    Norwich Union
    future - YBS
  13. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

I think it is a good move and hope the band enjoy moving forward in their shiny red shirts!

The YBS name as a huge amount of history (good and bad) attached to it and as a result many preconceptions relating to them. The current group are a young and talented bunch and deserve the opportunity to create their own legacy under their new (old) name.

I know Morgan is doing a great job over there and is well liked by the players so wish them all the very best for the future.

14. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

That's a bit unfair. It's the banks that are the villains at the moment. I don't believe any mutual building society, such as the Yorkshire, has been bailed out etc.

15. impycornet

impycornet Member

Good luck to Morgan and the rest of the team.

16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Can I hear an ethereal round of applause from Gershom Collison ?
    (There'll be one or two who may remember him.)

- Wilkie

17. critic

critic Member

Well said they are like a lot of bands trying to survive and like any decent person i wish them well the band movement can ill aford to be losing bands. its time some people grew up

18. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

for the benefit of the 3 0r 4 thousand that haven't heard of him , perhaps you could explain a bit more? :D
    The only Gershom I know of is the guy who compiles the Talk Sport weekly magazine.

19. Good luck to them - to me the name change means nothing but anyway lol (and I prefered the YBS name)

I care more about whether they have a full band, if they have that then things can only get better.

20. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

When I started playing again in 2004 I had not really been near banding since leaving the SA in 1999. The first recordings I bought were the "Essays in Brass" series , purely because I knew the music on them having at that time no knowledge of the non-SA scene. The fantastic sound that YBS produced on those albums got me hooked and I quickly moved on to the "heavier" stuff on "Kings of Europe" and "Music of the Spheres". I've been a great fan of the band since then and Prof King and co can largely take the blame for turning me into the band geek I have become !!

Putting on my historical / political hat , I think it's great to see a return to a name that echoes the traditional working class and industrial heritage of our movement . Titus Salt was one of those philanthropists ( similar to the Yorkshire Chocolate families ) that believed in bettering the lot of the working class and provided decent housing and social conditions ( perhaps in a somewhat paternalistic fashion ) at a time when many capitalists were content to treat their workers as little more than slaves.Its good to see that link in their new name along with the tradition of Hammonds Sauce !!

Best wishes to all of them up there - thanks for a great past as YBS and here's to a great future for Hammonds.

PS - not sorry they've dropped the lime green shirts !! What with the 70's brown/ beige combo someone there obviously has a thing about uniform choice !!!

21. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

"Judge Not On Glories Past, But On Glories Yet To Come,
    The Past Is Now In History And The Future Just Begun..."

22. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Gershom Collison was the long term Conductor of Hammonds Sauce Works Band in the 1950's and 1960's.
    He was there a very long time.
    The band was his pride and joy.
    A grand old gentleman of banding long departed.

- Wilkie