Back and enjoying it again....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mark Time, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Mark Time

Mark Time New Member

I joined Dinnington Colliery a few months back along with my 11 year old daughter, both on cornet. Initially I was on tutti then repiano for contest, daughter on 2nd, just been given Soprano and agreed to give it a go, fun instrument to play although leaves me a bit breathless!. I'd previously played cornet (mostly rep) for Colliery bands in my hometown (Doncaster) Brodsworth, Askern and Rossington during the 80's and 90's, all of them no longer exist sadly (as far as I know). Had a long break 12 years ish when kids came along, before getting back into it with Dinnington. Just had a great weekend in Cheltenham for finals was enjoyable to be involved again after so long :)
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

It's in the blood ~ We are inexorably drawn back to it ~ we have no choice ~ We are banders born and bred !

- Mr Wilx (In emotive mood)
  3. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

I sense a resurgance in Banding numbers as all the players from the 1970's, 80's and 90's decide to return to the fold after marriage, career, and Children distracted them from this great hobby.

Keep the faith
  4. Mark Time

Mark Time New Member

Yep it must be in the blood - my dad was a miner at my first band (Brodsworth Colliery) till it closed, and he got me into it, although ironically he didn't have a musical bone in his body and never played - to this day I've no idea what possessed him to encourage me but clearly it's all his fault! ... I've got my daughter into it though so can't complain... and I see from profile the poster above also had a long break, even longer than me in fact!
  5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

There is always someone who got us into Banding. I used to Carry my Grandfathers Euphonium when I was 5 and I always wanted to be able to play. now I have been playing almost 40 years. just a couple of breaks in that mainly due to health probs ( Bad Back etc )

Glad your Back and enjoying it.
  6. You might be right there - since I started playing again after a 25 year layoff, I have spoken to a surprising number of players who are now playing again after a gap of 10 years or more. It's hard work when you start again (at least it was for me!) but well worth the effort -I am really enjoying my playing time now. My face muscles are finally getting the message that they are no longer on a permanent holiday...